collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381612 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3210 on: February 27, 2021, 06:43:46 PM »
Really poor from England. There were hints of improved fitness from the Scotland game but still far too many players in the team trying to find form. The international game isn't the place for that and it should cost him his job.

What is happening right now has far too many similarities to what he did with Australia after the 2003 world cup, I'd be happy if he's gone as soon as the final whistle in the last game of the 6N goes, he did well for a while but get rid and bring in Pat Lam now, for me.

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #3211 on: February 27, 2021, 07:46:58 PM »
I thought it was pretty weird - Ford seemed to do really well at 10 when passing, seemed to make nice shapes, using decoys to create space and whenever we got it out to 13/11/14 we had Wales on the ropes. But silly individual errors (notably Daly, who muffed a knock-on when in space and then refused to pass to May) meant that we wznt back to a kick-heavy approach.

Daly, Vunipola, Farrell all have to go. I don't know who to replace them with, but England *must* have promising players somewhere at 15, 8 and 12/13 to replace them, because they're butchering everything they touch atm.

As for the Welsh, the only thing I can say is that the Welsh rugby union team is one sports team I have an almost irrational, borderline hatred for, so will leave it to less one-eyed observers to appreciate.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3212 on: February 27, 2021, 09:14:30 PM »
I thought it was pretty weird - Ford seemed to do really well at 10 when passing, seemed to make nice shapes, using decoys to create space and whenever we got it out to 13/11/14 we had Wales on the ropes. But silly individual errors (notably Daly, who muffed a knock-on when in space and then refused to pass to May) meant that we wznt back to a kick-heavy approach.

Daly, Vunipola, Farrell all have to go. I don't know who to replace them with, but England *must* have promising players somewhere at 15, 8 and 12/13 to replace them, because they're butchering everything they touch atm.

As for the Welsh, the only thing I can say is that the Welsh rugby union team is one sports team I have an almost irrational, borderline hatred for, so will leave it to less one-eyed observers to appreciate.

I go on about it too often but Simmonds is the best 8 in Europe and Jones just won't look at him, it's infuriating. Dombrandt is great as well and would add something.

In the centres I like Lawrence, Odogwu, O'Connor and Marchant those 4 and Slade means we should never have to see Farrell at 12, Odogwu would also be excellent on the wing which would allow Watson to go to 15 and compete with Malins and Furbank.

At 10 Ford has done ok but Smith is the class act this season and should be heavily involved. At 9 I've made my dislike of Youngs very clear many, many times and despite his try today all the normal flaws were there to see, that said Robson really struggled today when he came on. Long term I think Alex Mitchell is the best option because his extra pace is really dangerous.

Further forward George is a great player but he's unfit and out of form, he can't start, Cowan-Dickie is miles ahead of him right now for me. Props are mostly ok and lock/6 we have so many injuries that there aren't a great deal of changes we can make right now.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3213 on: February 27, 2021, 09:23:02 PM »
Not one of those Saracens players should have been considered for selection in this 6 nations....Simmonds not being in the squad is beyond bizarre & the continued picking of Youngs & Ford when they are both miles from world class without considering other options is annoying

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #3214 on: February 28, 2021, 01:30:30 PM »
Despite the atrocious officiating, England got the game back to 24-24 with 20 minutes left. They then followed that up with 3 of the most braindead needless penalties you could wish to see.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #3215 on: February 28, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »
Despite the atrocious officiating, England got the game back to 24-24 with 20 minutes left. They then followed that up with 3 of the most braindead needless penalties you could wish to see.

I only watched the half time analysis of the big moments followed by the whole second half and I completely agree with you. To claw back a 10 points deficit with 20 minutes to go meant England should have used the momentum to kick on. Instead they gifted 3 quick and stupid penalties and pretty much ensured a Wales victory.

I’ve never played rugby but thought the Wales try when England weren’t ready was poor refereeing. The “knock on” try seemed legit to me and my non expert eyes, as the analysts explained that it touched his own leg before the ground.

England have a serious ongoing problem with penalties, as the excellent Warburton highlighted on BBC

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3216 on: February 28, 2021, 03:34:53 PM »
The England rugby team are a side that I now like to see lose. They had gradually won me over after years of me being ambivalent about them.

Jones’ selections are bizarre and I find Farrell unlikeable. .

None of the Saracens players should have been considered for selection.

The first try was England’s own fault. The ref told Farrell to have a word with his team. Farrell did this and the players started to break up. The ref did not tell England to also have a water break.

When I was playing, the knock on would have been play on because the ball was kicked before it hit the ground. However, in recent years, knock ons tend to be given as soon as the player loses control.

Therefore, for me, England have a better case to moan about the latter try than the former.

As others have said, it was England’s poor discipline that let them down. It’s now at the stage where Itoje is becoming a liability. The odd brilliant charge down is not worth the penalties he gives away.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:37:31 PM by UK Redsox »

Online paul_e

« Reply #3217 on: March 06, 2021, 05:28:07 PM »
In case anyone has missed it Willis is currently expected to be out for about a year, poor guy after he worked his tits off to get back from his last bad injury.

And now to the criticism of Jones that I can't hold back from:

Simmonds was superb in the Exeter game this afternoon scored 1, played a big part in a couple of others but more importantly he's just so busy around the park, and does so much dirty work. We're in real danger of overlooking the best back row forward in Europe.

Odogwu was the best back in English rugby so England have called him up, refused to release him to his club and not even named him on the bench so he hasn't played for 2 months, what's the fucking point of that?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #3218 on: March 07, 2021, 07:23:05 PM »
Yes, a real shame about Willis, though the injury didn't look good.

I watched the Exeter game as well and commented how unbelievable it was that a European POTY can't get in the England squad, let alone the team.

Agree with your comments on the Wasps guy as well.

It looks like selection is well and truly broken. How this fit's in with Eddie's cunning plan to prepare new players for the next World Cup, I don't know.

« Reply #3219 on: March 13, 2021, 02:57:27 PM »
30 mins in and Wales already have their bonus point. In a stunning blow for patriotism, I now desperately want France to stuff England, take that momentum and give the Welsh a good hiding too. A French GS is bearable, a Welsh one is not.

« Reply #3220 on: March 13, 2021, 03:00:40 PM »
Oh my Lord! Try disallowed for forward pass shocker. Nice to see someone cares about the basic rule of the game.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3221 on: March 13, 2021, 04:49:57 PM »
Storming start...

Online paul_e

« Reply #3222 on: March 13, 2021, 05:11:26 PM »
To be fair England have been much better today because we're playing to our strengths instead of playing territory as we have been.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3223 on: March 13, 2021, 05:32:04 PM »
Not just because it's been better from England but just in terms of general quality i think this has been the best match of this 6N by a long way, both teams playing some fantastic rugby.

France have a lot of players that are obviously fantastic but I reckon Fickou is the key to how they play, vastly underrated player.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3224 on: March 13, 2021, 06:31:59 PM »
What a great game of rugby 🏉

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal