collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:43:13 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 09:41:22 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 09:39:17 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:38:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389405 times)

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2580 on: February 02, 2019, 09:08:43 PM »
That was a very impressive performace.

I’ve been critical of Jones’ obsession with power over subtlety yet it paid dividends today.  The stats shown on screen were pretty even except for the ‘significant tackles’ (something like that, it was a new one on me) whereby I assume they were measuring the impact of the tackles, Ireland often lost a meter or two in contact.

Agree that the ref had a shocker too.  Wonky lineouts from Ireland were rarely picked up not to mention the bigger decisions.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2581 on: February 02, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »
Thank heavens one team is good at their game because between our Villa and our cricketers, this is a weekend ruined. Brilliant England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2582 on: February 02, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »

I’ve been critical of Jones’ obsession with power over subtlety yet it paid dividends today.  The stats shown on screen were pretty even except for the ‘significant tackles’ (something like that, it was a new one on me) whereby I assume they were measuring the impact of the tackles, Ireland often lost a meter or two in contact.

Agree that the ref had a shocker too.  Wonky lineouts from Ireland were rarely picked up not to mention the bigger decisions.

I think they blended power and subtlety today and that’s the key.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2583 on: February 02, 2019, 11:13:29 PM »

I think they blended power and subtlety today and that’s the key.

Absolutely, it was all about running lines today. We had George, Mako and most of the rest of the pack running round the fringes, then Billy, Manu and Nowell were targeting a cut back line on Sexton's outside shoulder but then trying to turn and offload from contact to generate quick ball. It meant we have their centres moving inwards over and over again, which left big gaps out wide for May, Daly and Slade who exploited the space brilliantly.

In defence we were doubling up a lot and pushing them backwards, the likes of Stander and Furlong were anonymous because we were smashing them behind the gainline. It meant there was space around the fringes but our outside backs are quicker than theirs so they couldn't exploit it.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2584 on: February 02, 2019, 11:37:23 PM »
And that’s why it was such an incredible display, Ireland weren’t bad it was that we were excellent.

Online manic-road

« Reply #2585 on: February 03, 2019, 08:42:51 AM »
Thank heavens one team is good at their game because between our Villa and our cricketers, this is a weekend ruined. Brilliant England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Sums up how I feel.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2586 on: February 04, 2019, 08:18:16 PM »
Thought this was interesting:

At the time I was a little surprised they didn't check it but I was more concerned with the slight 'truck and trailer' nature of the maul as it broke up.

Just to address the first slade one (chasing the kick) when the kicker is taken out (legally or not) they have to give benefit of the doubt to the attacking teamwhen it's that close but even still Garces wanted to disallow that and the TV official talked him in to giving it.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2587 on: February 04, 2019, 09:59:12 PM »
I noticed the hand to prevent grounding. Couldn't believe it was given.
Garces seemed desperate to disallow an England try.

Don't think he had his finest 80 mins!!!!

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2588 on: February 05, 2019, 11:31:05 AM »
Could and should have been by more, we played Ireland and the referee yet again, THEIR FIRST TRY IS BLATANTLY HELD UP, not even a query to TMO, Vunipola’s try ruled out incorrectly and time and again you could clearly hear leave it green repeated 4 times at a ruck but as soon as an England hand gets near it’s a penalty straight away.

Rant over.

That team looks like it’s finally the one Jones wants, tactical masterclass brilliantly executed and the defensive line was so fast, Ireland just got overwhelmed, the stats don’t lie our tackling seemed to push them back every single time, immense, bring on the frogs next Sunday.

Ahem.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #2589 on: February 05, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »
Itoje out of 6 Nations.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #2590 on: February 05, 2019, 11:40:52 AM »
Well that explains everything.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2591 on: February 05, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
Could and should have been by more, we played Ireland and the referee yet again, THEIR FIRST TRY IS BLATANTLY HELD UP, not even a query to TMO, Vunipola’s try ruled out incorrectly and time and again you could clearly hear leave it green repeated 4 times at a ruck but as soon as an England hand gets near it’s a penalty straight away.

Rant over.

That team looks like it’s finally the one Jones wants, tactical masterclass brilliantly executed and the defensive line was so fast, Ireland just got overwhelmed, the stats don’t lie our tackling seemed to push them back every single time, immense, bring on the frogs next Sunday.

Ahem.

Yeah, I knew you'd mentioned it, I just couldn't tell on the footage but that photo is pretty clear. certainly enough that the ref should've checked it.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #2592 on: February 05, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
Itoje out of 6 Nations.

That's a blow, he was immense on Saturday.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2593 on: February 05, 2019, 12:54:00 PM »
Itoje out of 6 Nations.

From what I cna make out he might well be fit for the last game so, whilst it is shit, at the time I was worried about the world cup squad as it looked like a ligament injury.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #2594 on: February 05, 2019, 01:52:38 PM »
Itoje out of 6 Nations.

From what I cna make out he might well be fit for the last game so, whilst it is shit, at the time I was worried about the world cup squad as it looked like a ligament injury.

It is a ligament injury, but luckily it's his medial and not ACL, which is the one that keeps you out for months.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal