collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389559 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2340 on: May 03, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
This one sounds a lot like the sort of injury you get by trying too hard when you're not fully fit.  If so it's probably not that big a problem and may not rule him out of travelling, he'll miss the play offs though.  Personally I think I'd just leave him home and set sarries to put him on a slower recovery cycle, no point rushing him back only to see him break down again.  He needs to learn that he can't force himself through this.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #2341 on: May 04, 2018, 12:02:39 AM »
Interesting...

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43836215

A very good player and leader on the field.

There are a few rumblings over here from Super Rugby coaches about the way the All Blacks Management go about their business so it wouldn't surprises me to see more players doing this (especially from Wellington). 

Offline nigel

« Reply #2342 on: May 04, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
Interesting...

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43836215

A very good player and leader on the field.

There are a few rumblings over here from Super Rugby coaches about the way the All Blacks Management go about their business so it wouldn't surprises me to see more players doing this (especially from Wellington).

English parents, so not a back door entry either.
All Blacks are apparently livid

Online paul_e

« Reply #2343 on: May 10, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
England squad for South Africa Tour
Backs

Full backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Elliot Daly (Wasps)
Nathan Earle (Saracens) *
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks)

Inside backs
Danny Cipriani (Wasps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
Alex Lozowski (Saracens)
Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks) *
Dan Robson (Wasps) *
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Spencer (Saracens) *
Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards

Back five
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Ben Earl (Saracens) *
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs) *
Nick Isiekwe (Saracens)
Maro Itoje (Saracens) 
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Brad Shields (Hurricanes/ Wasps) *
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Jack Willis (Wasps) *
Mark Wilson (Newcastle)

Front row
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)

Cipriani, Robson and Willis all in on the back of a brilliant season for the 3 of them, Care and Wigglesworth out.  Shields included so it looks like he's go the early release we were hoping for.  No representatives from Gloucester is pretty harsh given the season they've had, Saints less so.  I'm surprised They haven't taken Cokanasiga, he's been brilliant since he came back from injury, given he's playing for a team that were dead and buried by Christmas.  I also think they've made a mistake by taking Four 10s because the midfield looks a bit imbalanced now.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #2344 on: May 10, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
Shields has got an early release (it was on the news over here tonight) and it's funny how much the Kiwi's are complaining about him choosing and going to play for England. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/103803711/nz-rugby-will-by-special-exception-allow-brad-shields-to-be-selected-for-england

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:00:07 AM by JD »

Offline nigel

« Reply #2345 on: May 10, 2018, 07:26:03 PM »
I wonder how close Joe Simmonds was to being called up?
In fairness probably much to early yet, but looked very impressive in his Exeter appearances.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2346 on: May 10, 2018, 10:21:45 PM »
In fairness probably much to early yet, but looked very impressive in his Exeter appearances.

I'd put him ahead of Redpath (who's been called up to get a cameo and stop him going to Scotland) and Lozowski.  In truth after Farrell and Cipriani I don't think there's much between the next 5-6 options (you can add Marcus Smith and Billy Burns to the list at least).

Nathan Earle is the really strange one for me though, I just don't rate him at all, he's got pace but no rugby brain at all and he seems to have been 'worked out' this season, it's a joke to have him ahead of people like Wade and Cokanasiga, I'd have 4-5 others ahead as well.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2347 on: May 11, 2018, 07:56:45 AM »

I'd put him ahead of Redpath (who's been called up to get a cameo and stop him going to Scotland) and Lozowski.  In truth after Farrell and Cipriani I don't think there's much between the next 5-6 options (you can add Marcus Smith and Billy Burns to the list at least).

Nathan Earle is the really strange one for me though, I just don't rate him at all, he's got pace but no rugby brain at all and he seems to have been 'worked out' this season, it's a joke to have him ahead of people like Wade and Cokanasiga, I'd have 4-5 others ahead as well.

Forgot about Marcus Smith.
Nathan Earle, I only catch highlights on games so it's tough to judge at times.
Christian Wade is no doubt an excellent try scorer, but, for some reason Eddie doesn't fancy him, same can be said with Roko, too.

Going back to Joe Simmonds. I always thought Steenson was excellent, so to keep him out JS must have something

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2348 on: May 11, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »
Just checked this Summer's fixtures.

So... Scotland beat England and Australia and take New Zealand to the wire, and our reward is glamour fixtures against America, Canada and Argentina?

FFS.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2349 on: May 11, 2018, 10:07:34 AM »

So... Scotland beat England and Australia and take New Zealand to the wire, and our reward is glamour fixtures against America, Canada and Argentina?

FFS.

Argentina will be a good game.

Christian Wade is no doubt an excellent try scorer, but, for some reason Eddie doesn't fancy him, same can be said with Roko, too.

Going back to Joe Simmonds. I always thought Steenson was excellent, so to keep him out JS must have something

Roko is one of the '4-5 others' I'd have ahead of Earle, I'd also have had Tom Collins, Jason Woodward (although he's a full back not a wing), Ollie Woodburn and Josh Bassett ahead of him.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2350 on: May 14, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »

FFS.

Argentina will be a good game.

Roko is one of the '4-5 others' I'd have ahead of Earle, I'd also have had Tom Collins, Jason Woodward (although he's a full back not a wing), Ollie Woodburn and Josh Bassett ahead of him.

Woodward has had a great season and I would have liked to see Ludlow given a go. He gets through a ton of work every week.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2351 on: May 27, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
England have picked up where they left off in 6 Nations at the moment, they’re getting battered.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2352 on: June 03, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
England kids have played 2 won 2 in the U20 championship, there have been some really impressive performances as well.  Marcus Smith scored a brilliant try this afternoon - https://www.worldrugby.org/u20/video/339805

Fraser Dingwall at 13 and Henry Walker at Hooker at the 2 I think are really interesting here, neither are quite ready to step up but they look like they could be special. Dingwall reminds me a lot of Trinder at this age group and Walker is a proper modern hooker in that he could easily play back row.  Curry, Smith, Earl and Ibitoye are all great as well, but they've been on the radar for a while whereas the other 2 really have come on in the last few months.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2353 on: June 09, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »
NZ v France game has turned on a very poor decision by the Ref to bin a French player for a high tackle that replays showed never happened.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2354 on: June 09, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »
France are back to full strength but NZ are ripping them apart

All Black subs are making the difference

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal