collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389681 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #2265 on: February 27, 2018, 12:59:37 PM »
Because his knee touched he's effectively made himself out of play and has to exit the ruck before he can go back in to compete (much like the tackled player releasing the ball or the tackler letting go of the player and standing up before they can compete.  The issue I have with it is that Owens calls 'lost now' and Launchbury stops competing so they get the pass away, it's not launchbury's fault the pass is shit and you never see a mistake covered for like that normally, His defence that the damage was done is just about on the side of the law but 99 times out of a hundred if the ref says it's lost and the defender backs away it's not going back as a pen if the ball gets lost, the inconsistency is the problem.

If you going to go back for stuff that is marginal like that then you have to do it regularly. For example (i'll link the video I'm going from so the times make sense):

If you go to the 2nd scottish try (about 3 minutes).  I believe the clearout on Farrell is around the neck, if they go back and look at that it's probably a penalty and that gets disallowed but because no one bothered to check they get the points.

On top of that is the Ryan Wilson citing for scratching at Hughes eyes. - https://twitter.com/bbcrugbyunion/status/967685739071721473

Owens has built his reputation of 'grow up and get on with it' which i normally agree with but when it's around the eyes you really have to check because if his little finger makes contact with the eye then he has to do more than a slap on the wrist.

Agree Paul and there were some decisions around the breakdown in the Ireland v Wales game that were baffling as well.  I would never accuse a referee of bias or deliberate cheating, but as someone said on a blog I was reading yesterday, it is sometimes as if referees have decided which team are on top at a point in the game and then only start looking for offences by the team they consider are under the cosh at the time.  It can be highly frustrating as a constant stream of penalties can influence a game so much.       

I thought everyone knew Nigel Owens played for the other side ;)
I think you're right re once a team is on top the team felt to be under the cosh will be penalised more, it certainly looked that way, England weren't without their faults but Scotland got away with far too much at the breakdown.
We've 2 southern hemisphere referees, assistants & TMOs for our remaining fixtures, hopefully controversy free.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2266 on: February 27, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »
Because his knee touched he's effectively made himself out of play and has to exit the ruck before he can go back in to compete (much like the tackled player releasing the ball or the tackler letting go of the player and standing up before they can compete.  The issue I have with it is that Owens calls 'lost now' and Launchbury stops competing so they get the pass away, it's not launchbury's fault the pass is shit and you never see a mistake covered for like that normally, His defence that the damage was done is just about on the side of the law but 99 times out of a hundred if the ref says it's lost and the defender backs away it's not going back as a pen if the ball gets lost, the inconsistency is the problem.

If you going to go back for stuff that is marginal like that then you have to do it regularly. For example (i'll link the video I'm going from so the times make sense):

If you go to the 2nd scottish try (about 3 minutes).  I believe the clearout on Farrell is around the neck, if they go back and look at that it's probably a penalty and that gets disallowed but because no one bothered to check they get the points.

On top of that is the Ryan Wilson citing for scratching at Hughes eyes. - https://twitter.com/bbcrugbyunion/status/967685739071721473

Owens has built his reputation of 'grow up and get on with it' which i normally agree with but when it's around the eyes you really have to check because if his little finger makes contact with the eye then he has to do more than a slap on the wrist.

Agree Paul and there were some decisions around the breakdown in the Ireland v Wales game that were baffling as well.  I would never accuse a referee of bias or deliberate cheating, but as someone said on a blog I was reading yesterday, it is sometimes as if referees have decided which team are on top at a point in the game and then only start looking for offences by the team they consider are under the cosh at the time.  It can be highly frustrating as a constant stream of penalties can influence a game so much.       

I thought everyone knew Nigel Owens played for the other side ;)
I think you're right re once a team is on top the team felt to be under the cosh will be penalised more, it certainly looked that way, England weren't without their faults but Scotland got away with far too much at the breakdown.
We've 2 southern hemisphere referees, assistants & TMOs for our remaining fixtures, hopefully controversy free.

As a coach, player or fan, all you want is consistency when it comes to a referee.  If the referee is going to ping both sides for holding on at the breakdown or going off their feet then fair enough, but when it seems as though strict refereeing in a certain area is only being applied to one side then it becomes highly frustrating. 

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2267 on: February 27, 2018, 03:06:21 PM »
That's where almost all the anger towards refs in rugby comes from.  The overall standard is usually very high but it is a bit too easy for refs to become accustomed to a problem and just assume it's carrying on rather than reffing what they see.  Collapsing scrums are the best example, if one prop is clearly struggling he'll get pinged for every collapse even if he's completely legal because that's easier than looking for the arm bind or the drill-in.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2268 on: February 27, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »
Sheffield Wednesday forum is that way lads -----> ;)

Offline nigel

« Reply #2269 on: February 27, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »
Scotland deserved win after first half,  but, I fell that Nige got a major decision wrong. 
Danny Care should have been allowed to touch down then he should have gone to the TMO. I don't think Launchbury should have been penalised. That would have put England level and I'm pretty sure we'd have gone on to win.
In my defence I was a winger/full back so maybe a forward could clarify that one.

I think Nigel Owens got both decisions right, but the way he dealt with the Launchbury one was questionable.  Launchbury's knee touched the floor when he was competing for the ball at a ruck, which meant he was no longer supporting his weight and that is a penalty (albeit quite a harsh one considering what goes on at most rucks).  Owens should have called the penalty there and then and given the Scots the penalty advantage, but he did neither and only called it back for a penalty after the pass had been intercepted.  It was the right decision, but he had not made it clear that it was a penalty and an advantage was being played, so it was questionable.   

The knock on was clear, if again, unfortunate. 

The bold bit is important because, for me, Barclay supported his own weight in about a third of breakdowns he contested and got away with it repeatedly.

I've finished watching it now btw, I agree Owens can say he got both decisions right but I don't think he can legitimately claim to have followed the laws consistently at the breakdown.

Thanks for clearing that up, guys.
Just watched it again,  though. Launchburys knee touched the ground before he challenged, but, was off when he went for ball (I thought that was OK), Owens told him to release, which he did, pass intersepted for 'Try'
Surely  that's wrong?

If his knee touches the ground, he is no longer supporting his weight and it is technically a penalty at that point.  You normally see referees award the penalty at that point, but call advantage if the attacking team retain possession, only to call it back if they feel no advantage has been gained.  You also often hear referees shout "release" or "you've lost it now" to players in Launchbury's position and as long as they do stop competing, then play goes on with no penalty awarded.  The fact that Nigel Owens didn't do any of the above was the problem really.

Cheers Tom, That was pretty much my point.
I played winger/fullback so all this rough stuff sort of went over my head  :)

Online paul_e

« Reply #2270 on: February 27, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
Sheffield Wednesday forum is that way lads -----> ;)

I'll post a copy of my letter in a bit. :P

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2271 on: February 27, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »
To be honest I'm not that concerned with the detail of the decisions. We deserved to lose and we lost, we need to work on bringing our game back to a good level. We've been a bit plodding of late.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2272 on: February 27, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
I don't disagree tbh, I just think there was some pretty harsh calls against us as well, and without those we might well have scrapped through, as we have a few times recently.  The worst thing is that there were flashes against Italy of us having got out of that funk and kicked on, and they've evaporated now, Simmonds already looks like a huge loss.

The things to learn, for me:

We need more dynamism on the bench, Wiggo, T'eo and Nowell just aren't frightening as backs replacements and Underhill and Kruis aren't players to bring on in the last 20-25, the Front row options are decent enough though (and George is a perfect 'finisher').
The experiment with 3 locks is a failure, Robshaw back to 6 and Underhill or Simmonds in at 7 has to happen.
We need to learn to deal with teams who go really aggressive at the breakdown, both defeats under Jones have come from teams denying us good possession by fighting on the floor.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #2273 on: March 07, 2018, 01:15:56 PM »
No Underhill or Knowell this weekend for Le Crunch, Hartley also a potential doubt. Solomona & Daly come back in the squad.

Should be a cracking weekend again, can't really see the Jocks getting anything from Ireland and who knows if the French will turn up, I just hope a different England do.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #2274 on: March 08, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
No Hartley.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2275 on: March 08, 2018, 10:08:44 AM »
England team:

Starting XV
15 Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby 31 caps)
14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers 32 caps)
13 Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors 11 caps)
12 Owen Farrell (Saracens 56 caps) C
11 Elliot Daly (Wasps 16 caps)
10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers 43 caps)
9 Danny Care (Harlequins 79 caps)

1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens 47 caps) VC
2 Jamie George (Saracens 23 caps)
3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers 80 caps)
4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps 50 caps)
5 Maro Itoje (Saracens 17 caps)
6 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints 64 caps)
7 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins 62 caps)
8 Nathan Hughes (Wasps 13 caps).

Finishers
16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs 4 caps)
17 Joe Marler (Harlequins 54 caps)
18 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins 8 caps)
19 James Haskell (Wasps 75 caps)
20 Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs 5 caps)
21 Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens 29 caps)
22 Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby 38 caps)
23 Mike Brown (Harlequins 67 caps)

Mostly happy with that.  Lawes or Itoje on the bench, Robshaw at 6 and Simmonds in at 7 and I reckon that's the best 15 we have available.  I still don't like Wigglesworth being on the bench (he's a 9 that helps you control territory with his kicking game, that's useful in the first half but in the last 20 it goes against everything that has made this England team successful), I'd prefer Solomona to Brown and I'd love us to move on from Haskell but there's a lot more impact to bring on than there has been.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2276 on: March 08, 2018, 10:41:50 AM »
No Hartley.

That strengthens the side IMO

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #2277 on: March 08, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
No Hartley.

That strengthens the side IMO

Well interestingly against the Jocks when he came off we slowed down and failed to build on the momentum we had, I get why Jones plays him for 60 minutes when and if we have a bench full of impact players to bring on in the final 15 or 20 but right now we don't so having a captain out there for 80 minutes will only benefit us I think.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2278 on: March 08, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
Whilst I still wouldn't have him in the team, I don't think that Hartley is the weak link that he used to be.

The change is laws at the ruck has made his style of play the preferred method (ie pick up ball, rumble forward a bit, contact with opponent, fall down)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2279 on: March 08, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
Brown dropped is pretty big news.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal