collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

FFP by Dave
[Today at 03:25:24 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:24:02 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 03:25:24 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:24:02 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by olaftab
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389921 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1800 on: June 12, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
What an amazing advert for rugby that test match was?  Best of all the officials, Nigel Owens proving that it is possible to let a game flow without the need for TMOs and other such nonsense every time there's a try or decision to be made, same goes to his supporting officials, bloody superb they all were.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1801 on: June 12, 2017, 04:47:44 PM »
What an amazing advert for rugby that test match was?  Best of all the officials, Nigel Owens proving that it is possible to let a game flow without the need for TMOs and other such nonsense every time there's a try or decision to be made, same goes to his supporting officials, bloody superb they all were.

He showed why he's such a good ref by admitting to a mistake at one point.  I'd love to see that in football rather than hiding behind the FA.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1802 on: June 12, 2017, 06:46:05 PM »

He showed why he's such a good ref by admitting to a mistake at one point.  I'd love to see that in football rather than hiding behind the FA.

Yes, when that happened my mate and I looked across at each other and just nodded our approval. No words were needed.
That's why he's the best ref in world rugby.

Going back to Solomona.  I mentioned him way back in this thread, and you got it spot on with your reply regarding defence. 

Online paul_e

« Reply #1803 on: June 12, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »

Yes, when that happened my mate and I looked across at each other and just nodded our approval. No words were needed.

Going back to Solomona.  I mentioned him way back in this thread, and you got it spot on with your reply regarding defence. 

I think anyone who'd watched him play for more than a few minutes could see the same weaknesses.  They're not insurmountable but he needs to really commit to working with his defensive coaches if he wants to be a regular, otherwise I suspect he'll be the guy we call on if we need something special in the last 10-15minutes.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1804 on: June 12, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »

I think anyone who'd watched him play for more than a few minutes could see the same weaknesses.  They're not insurmountable but he needs to really commit to working with his defensive coaches if he wants to be a regular, otherwise I suspect he'll be the guy we call on if we need something special in the last 10-15minutes.

If he turns out half as good as the last League winger to cross code, Jason Robinson, we'll have a real player.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1805 on: June 12, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
If he turns out half as good as the last League winger to cross code, Jason Robinson, we'll have a real player.

He's already as good with ball in hand and as a finisher, if he can bring the rest of his game up he'll be special.  He has the same low gait and subsequent low centre of gravity which means he can slip through gaps that aren't really there.  His try was a great example of it, he had no rights to beat the first couple of tacklers but he just never gave them a target to tackle.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1806 on: June 13, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »
Jason Robinson was very much an exception. Most converts from the Northern Game have been average at best, even those fast-tracked into the England set up

Online paul_e

« Reply #1807 on: June 13, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »
Not complaining here but how the fuck Stander is there as an 8 and Hughes was left out i'll never know.

The Warburton try is a funny one, the British commentators were commending AWJ, I suspect the NZ view will be that it was quite obviously illegal and should have been disallowed.

I think JJ has played well but has bene the only back with anything going for him.  Nowell looks like he's struggling to get into the game, just can't get any decent ball.  Good try for Seymour but he'd not been in the game before that.

The biggest problem is that Webb is shit other than as a carrier and Laidlaw is shit other than as a kicker so we just aren't getting quick ball which means the backs can't hit the ball at pace and everything is really static.  We've been caught behind the gainline far too often.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1808 on: June 13, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
Not complaining here but how the fuck Stander is there as an 8 and Hughes was left out i'll never know.

The Warburton try is a funny one, the British commentators were commending AWJ, I suspect the NZ view will be that it was quite obviously illegal and should have been disallowed.

I think JJ has played well but has bene the only back with anything going for him.  Nowell looks like he's struggling to get into the game, just can't get any decent ball.  Good try for Seymour but he'd not been in the game before that.

The biggest problem is that Webb is shit other than as a carrier and Laidlaw is shit other than as a kicker so we just aren't getting quick ball which means the backs can't hit the ball at pace and everything is really static.  We've been caught behind the gainline far too often.

Been one of my bugbears watching Wales for some time Paul.  He takes an age to get the ball out and often looks for his own opportunities first rather than getting quick ball.  As for Joseph, I think Te'o probably has the 13 shirt at the moment (if Farrell and Sexton are going to play 10 + 12), but Joseph is definitely in the mix as he offers pace that the other options don't.  That said, Gatland rates physicality and defence first and foremost, so Te'o and Jon Davies might be considered ahead of him. 

Online paul_e

« Reply #1809 on: June 13, 2017, 04:48:32 PM »
In one of the least shocking posts I'll ever write England U20s in to the final for the 5th year in a row.  Only saw the 2nd half but the scrum and line out broke down completely but in open play they were brilliant, Mercer(9), Randall(SH) and Ibitoye(Wing) were absolutely superb and 3-4 others were very good (Earle at 7 in particular).

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1810 on: June 15, 2017, 07:49:18 PM »
If Farrell's injury is serious it could be a fatal blow for the tour.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #1811 on: June 16, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »
The All Blacks have just beaten Samoa 78-0 in their warm up game for The Lions next week.

I fear for The Lions.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1812 on: June 16, 2017, 12:16:57 PM »
Hopefully ESPN or FoxSports will at least have highlights of the first two tests because I'm in Boston for those two Saturdays

Online paul_e

« Reply #1813 on: June 16, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »
The All Blacks have just beaten Samoa 78-0 in their warm up game for The Lions next week.

I fear for The Lions.

I didn't need to see a score like that to be worried, if the lions don't utterly dominate the set piece I think the quality of NZ at the breakdown and in getting quick ball to their backs will be far too much.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1814 on: June 16, 2017, 01:03:41 PM »
Gatland planning to bring five more players into the squad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40301161

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal