collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389323 times)

Offline peter w

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1755 on: June 10, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »
Well i said we'd win.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1756 on: June 10, 2017, 12:23:31 PM »
Indeed you did Peter, indeed you did.  Now, go and get yourself an ice cream then can you please give me tonight's winning lottery numbers?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1757 on: June 10, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »
Watson at full back was very good.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1758 on: June 10, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »
Indeed Peter, to be fair I said we had to change the way we played and that very clearly happened, that was a much better balance.  To beat teams with that level of quality in you need to control things and to do that you need the right type of players at 8-10.  Today he picked the best 3 in the squad and let them play a more natural game and we looked a far better side for it.  A good performance in the front row and centres helped a lot as well.

I agree with PWA that Watson gave us an extra dimension as well. I missed the first match so no idea how that went but in the week Halfpenny showed just how shit he is so seeing a proper full back performance was good.  Hogg is a funny one, he has some quality but I think there's a lot wrong with his game as well.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1759 on: June 10, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »
Indeed Peter, to be fair I said we had to change the way we played and that very clearly happened, that was a much better balance.  To beat teams with that level of quality in you need to control things and to do that you need the right type of players at 8-10.  Today he picked the best 3 in the squad and let them play a more natural game and we looked a far better side for it.  A good performance in the front row and centres helped a lot as well.

I agree with PWA that Watson gave us an extra dimension as well. I missed the first match so no idea how that went but in the week Halfpenny showed just how shit he is so seeing a proper full back performance was good.  Hogg is a funny one, he has some quality but I think there's a lot wrong with his game as well.

Far better performance and result today.  The team is shaping up now and I would expect something like below for next Saturday and the first test:

Halfpenny, North, Te'o, Farrell, Daly, Sexton, Murray, Vunipola, Owens, Furlong, AWJ, Kruis, Stander, Warburton, Faletau

Subs - McGrath, George, Cole, Itoje, O'Brien, Webb, Biggar, Watson

Gatland loves Halfpenny and has played him consistently at full-back when there have been many calls in Wales for him to switch to the wing and Liam Williams play there.  I think it is his defensive game that Gatland rates and of course there is his goal kicking.   

Offline peter w

« Reply #1760 on: June 10, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »

Bollocks off you're not claiming any part of this. I, and I alone.

Online nigel

« Reply #1761 on: June 10, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »
Thought Watson did really well, but, Halfpenny will get the nod as he's a Gatland boy.
Though it was odd moving Farrell to 13 when Sexton came on for Davis. I'd have thought Farrell 12 and T'eo 13. That said, it seemed to work ok.

Settling down for Argentina v England  :)

Offline peter w

« Reply #1762 on: June 10, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »

Far better performance and result today.  The team is shaping up now and I would expect something like below for next Saturday and the first test:

Halfpenny, North, Te'o, Farrell, Daly, Sexton, Murray, Vunipola, Owens, Furlong, AWJ, Kruis, Stander, Warburton, Faletau

Gatland loves Halfpenny and has played him consistently at full-back when there have been many calls in Wales for him to switch to the wing and Liam Williams play there.  I think it is his defensive game that Gatland rates and of course there is his goal kicking.   

I know it's unlikely to happen but I'd definitely have Itoje in over AWJ. Above anyone in fact. I'd also have Marler in the squad as I think his scrummaging will be key off the bench.

Online nigel

« Reply #1763 on: June 10, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »

From that team I'd swap Owens for George & AJW for Itoje
With Farrell, Sexton and Daly for kicking  it sort of makes a case for not playing Halfpenny.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1764 on: June 10, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »
As it is I'd also drop Sexton. Biggar at 10 Farrell at 12. But thinking about it Farrell at 12 works better because of his understanding with ford. So, Farrell at 10 and Joseph at 12.

Online nigel

« Reply #1765 on: June 10, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »
As it is I'd also drop Sexton. Biggar at 10 Farrell at 12. But thinking about it Farrell at 12 works better because of his understanding with ford. So, Farrell at 10 and Joseph at 12.

Blimey, I'd forgotten about JJ

Offline peter w

« Reply #1766 on: June 10, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
easily done. not being Welsh Gatland will have forgotten about him, too. He's our most skillful centre but not a 6ft 6 brick shithouse so clearly not good enough.

Online nigel

« Reply #1767 on: June 10, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »
Tom Curry, 18, starting for England

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1768 on: June 10, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
Really tough game this with so many missing.

Looking forward to seeing how some of the kids olay, the bench is very exciting.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1769 on: June 10, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal