collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 01:46:02 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 01:44:19 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Smirker
[Today at 01:42:44 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 01:40:51 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 01:40:51 PM]

Re: VAR by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:39:21 PM]

Re: VAR by Nev
[Today at 01:29:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 01:22:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389782 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1710 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »
I think anyone who watched the semi will have seen that he was struggling all through it, he stayed down 3-4 times and was carrying his arm 'wrong' for most of the match, the commentators mentioned it 2 or 3 times but they seemed to think it was his wrist/forearm rather than his shoulder.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1711 on: May 22, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »
Pleased that James Haskell got the nod for the Lions. If anyone deserved his place after the last year and a bit it's him.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1712 on: May 22, 2017, 11:15:46 PM »
Pleased that James Haskell got the nod for the Lions. If anyone deserved his place after the last year and a bit it's him.

Haskell is a limited player in my opinion, however whilst he was injured he'd often be seen on the wasps bench.  Invariably he was either messing about or supporting the team.  Add in his seeming obsession with working out and fitness and i think he'll be a great tourist but probably not a great player.  If his personality raises 'the sum of the parts' then his place is more than justified imo.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1713 on: May 22, 2017, 11:57:23 PM »

Haskell is a limited player in my opinion, however whilst he was injured he'd often be seen on the wasps bench.  Invariably he was either messing about or supporting the team.  Add in his seeming obsession with working out and fitness and i think he'll be a great tourist but probably not a great player.  If his personality raises 'the sum of the parts' then his place is more than justified imo.

He is a good character, a good leader and an excellent example of having the right attitude.  I also think he deserves a lot of respect for how he came back after a year in Japan which looked like it was a retirement gig, again that says a lot for his attitude and desire which can make up for a lot of deficiencies.  I just wish he'd spent a bit more time learning the basics instead of pumping weights, I've called him a meathead enough times on this forum for my views on his abilities to be fairly clear.

All that said I think he does deserve a place on the tour because there's a lot of players in that squad with just as many technical faults and nothing like the same drive.  That's sounds a bit like a 1eyed man in th eland of the blind faint praise but that's not my intention, I think if he'd played in the 6N he'd have been in the original squad and I'm glad he's getting his chance now.

As a slight aside with stuff like this I wish the Lions tours came with a list of replacements already in place.  It would only need to be 10-12 names and it probably already exists in some form (i.e. Gatland has probably spoken to the coaches and told them who is in his thinking if they get injuries) so I don't see why it isn't just made public.

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #1714 on: May 23, 2017, 12:58:32 AM »
All I will add about James Haskell is that I saw him in my local when I was living in Paris and he was at Stade Français. I have never seen a larger human being. His head alone, in memory now almost all jawbone, was literally (and I mean this as an actual "literally", rather than a football-pundit "literally") twice the size of anyone else's in the bar - and that's before taking ego / Brand Haskell into account.

The crazy thing is, that he looks relatively "right-sized" compared to the other forwards on the pitch, so I shudder to think what bumping into them must be like. I can scarcely fathom what it must be like to find oneself stood next to Devin Toner or another equally-towering lock...

Online Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #1715 on: May 23, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »
The above reminds me of the Withnail and I scene, ' Look at him! Look at Geoff Woade! His head must weight fifty pounds on its own. Imagine the size of his balls. Imagine getting into a fight with the fucker!'

I think Haskell will be a decent member of the squad and it wouldn't surprise me if he managed to get into the test team.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1716 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »
All I will add about James Haskell is that I saw him in my local when I was living in Paris and he was at Stade Français. I have never seen a larger human being. His head alone, in memory now almost all jawbone, was literally (and I mean this as an actual "literally", rather than a football-pundit "literally") twice the size of anyone else's in the bar - and that's before taking ego / Brand Haskell into account.

The crazy thing is, that he looks relatively "right-sized" compared to the other forwards on the pitch, so I shudder to think what bumping into them must be like. I can scarcely fathom what it must be like to find oneself stood next to Devin Toner or another equally-towering lock...

I've met Martin Johnson and he's both fucking huge anyway but also seems 'more' than guys just as tall. Easily the most intimidating person I've ever met.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1717 on: May 23, 2017, 07:59:47 AM »
The story about how Martin Johnson got the captaincy always makes me laugh.

Can't remember coach, but, his words, along the lines of 'I wanted someone to fill the door and look down on the opposition captain'  :)

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #1718 on: May 23, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »
Yes, Paul, that's exactly it. Haskell is listed as 6' 4". I know a few people who are a similar height - my father-in-law himself is 6' 7". It's a "volume" thing. Just enormously wide & deep without being fat.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1719 on: May 23, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
Yes, Paul, that's exactly it. Haskell is listed as 6' 4". I know a few people who are a similar height - my father-in-law himself is 6' 7". It's a "volume" thing. Just enormously wide & deep without being fat.

With Johnno it's more than just that, it was 2004 when I met him so he was obviously a world cup winning captain as well but it was just his presence.  It's hard to explain properly but he's one of those people that you feel enter the room.  Really nice guy, and really happy to chat with us but also the person I've felt most guarded with.  I'm generally quite outspoken and certainly have no problem sharing an opinion but I found myself wanting to say something he'd be happy to hear which was a fairly new experience for me.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1720 on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »
Paul Hill and Joe Marchant both out of the Argentina tour, that's a big blow.  No news on replacements yet.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1721 on: May 25, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
Team to face the barbarians:

15. Mike Brown (Harlequins, 60 caps)
14. Nathan Earle (Saracens, uncapped)
13. Sam James (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
12. Alex Lozowski (Saracens, uncapped)
11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 25 caps)
10. George Ford (Bath Rugby, 35 caps)
9. Danny Care (Harlequins, 71 caps)
1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
2. Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)
3. Will Collier (Harlequins, uncapped)
4. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
5. Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, uncapped)
6. Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 55 caps)   
7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
8. Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

Finishers:
16. George McGuigan (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
17. Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
18. Jamal Ford-Robinson (Bristol Rugby, uncapped)
19. Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
20.  Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
21.  Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
22. Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens, 27 caps)
23. Mike Haley (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

Obviously Saints, Wasps and Chiefs players missing means a lot of faces that won't start in Argentina and a very inexperienced side but it's still a very decent team.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1722 on: May 25, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
I do hope Haskell does his video diary again, the one he did for the tour to the shackle draggers was hilarious.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1723 on: May 25, 2017, 09:49:01 PM »
Team to face the barbarians:

15. Mike Brown (Harlequins, 60 caps)
14. Nathan Earle (Saracens, uncapped)
13. Sam James (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
12. Alex Lozowski (Saracens, uncapped)
11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 25 caps)
10. George Ford (Bath Rugby, 35 caps)
9. Danny Care (Harlequins, 71 caps)
1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
2. Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)
3. Will Collier (Harlequins, uncapped)
4. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
5. Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, uncapped)
6. Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 55 caps)   
7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
8. Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

Finishers:
16. George McGuigan (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
17. Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
18. Jamal Ford-Robinson (Bristol Rugby, uncapped)
19. Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
20.  Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
21.  Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
22. Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens, 27 caps)
23. Mike Haley (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

Obviously Saints, Wasps and Chiefs players missing means a lot of faces that won't start in Argentina and a very inexperienced side but it's still a very decent team.

Going to this game, so looking forward to it.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1724 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
Looking at both teams it should be a great game.  Watch out for Earle, he's very inexperienced but absolutely rapid.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal