collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:43:13 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 09:41:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389412 times)

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1575 on: March 17, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »
Robshaw was man of the match in one of his most recent games for England, plus Itoje has had some anonymous periods whilst playing there.  I'd guess that Robshaw and Haskell will fight it out for one spot (the 'old head' and some grunt in the scrum) whilst we develop some more natural sevens on the other side, although I'd struggle to identify them.

It's incredible that a player of Robshaw's importance (if not ability) can be quickly forgotten due to the current crop of players.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1576 on: March 17, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
Robshaw was man of the match in one of his most recent games for England, plus Itoje has had some anonymous periods whilst playing there.  I'd guess that Robshaw and Haskell will fight it out for one spot (the 'old head' and some grunt in the scrum) whilst we develop some more natural sevens on the other side, although I'd struggle to identify them.

It's incredible that a player of Robshaw's importance (if not ability) can be quickly forgotten due to the current crop of players.

We have 3-4 very good 7s coming through, I suspect 1-2 of them will make the squad this summer.  Will Evans at Tigers is probably at the font of the queue but Joel Conlon at Sarries (but developed at Exeter) looked like a star in the making a few years back, he seems to be just breaking through now so he's worth watching out for.  On top of that the Curry twins who are with the U20s right now both look very good and I'd say both are 6.5s right now and could go either way.

Also Kvesic is still only 24 (despite having been around for ages having broken into the warriors team at 18) and his upcoming move to Exeter looks like a perfect chance for him to get himself back in the mix.  Harrison is also only 24 and his game has been improving massively for a couple of years, if he can keep that improvement going he'll never be too far away.

I suspect 7 will be like 8 and the centres were a few years back, we'll go from nothing to too many good options in the blink of an eye.

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #1577 on: March 17, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »

We have 3-4 very good 7s coming through, I suspect 1-2 of them will make the squad this summer.  Will Evans at Tigers is probably at the font of the queue but Joel Conlon at Sarries (but developed at Exeter) looked like a star in the making a few years back, he seems to be just breaking through now so he's worth watching out for.  On top of that the Curry twins who are with the U20s right now both look very good and I'd say both are 6.5s right now and could go either way.

Also Kvesic is still only 24 (despite having been around for ages having broken into the warriors team at 18) and his upcoming move to Exeter looks like a perfect chance for him to get himself back in the mix.  Harrison is also only 24 and his game has been improving massively for a couple of years, if he can keep that improvement going he'll never be too far away.

I suspect 7 will be like 8 and the centres were a few years back, we'll go from nothing to too many good options in the blink of an eye.

You've missed the most obvious one, who will be on the tour to Argentina without question, Sam Underhill. I believe he'll be in the 23 whoever we play first up, Argentina or NZ, in November. Can't wait to see him develop under Louw at Bath

Online paul_e

« Reply #1578 on: March 17, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »

You've missed the most obvious one, who will be on the tour to Argentina without question, Sam Underhill. I believe he'll be in the 23 whoever we play first up, Argentina or NZ, in November. Can't wait to see him develop under Louw at Bath

I did indeed, I knew there was another one but the name just wouldn't come to me so I went through all the teams in the league (in my head) and just couldn't work out who I was missing. 

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1579 on: March 17, 2017, 08:32:16 PM »
Irish air traffic control have diversion plans in place for the afternoon.

Tight first 20 I would have thought and then expect England to steadily pull away, we have far too much all over the park for Ireland.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1580 on: March 17, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
France v Wales U20

The one French winger is tipped for greatness. He has some serious gas

Offline nigel

« Reply #1581 on: March 18, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »

Online Dante Lavelli

« Reply #1582 on: March 18, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
Great read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39306051

Indeed.  I knew there were connections between the two but I didn't realise that their lives were quite so intertwined.  It could easily be a new chapter in one of the 10,000 hour books.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1583 on: March 18, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »
Nervous about today, we need to be at our best.

Online Dante Lavelli

« Reply #1584 on: March 18, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »
a taster:

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #1585 on: March 18, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
Great read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39306051

Very interesting, but spoilt by the author's clear absence of basic rugby knowledge in one point of his argument...

"English Grand Slams have always been built on the essential understanding between fly-half and inside centre: Wilkinson and Will Greenwood, Rob Andrew and Will Carling. Never before have they had the ability to switch roles so naturally and to such attacking effect."

If I were Mike Tindall and Jeremy Guscott reading that, I think I'd be pretty pissed off...

Online paul_e

« Reply #1586 on: March 18, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »
First game, scotland won comfortably in the end and defended well but italy butchered 2-3 tries and missed a few simple penalties.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1587 on: March 18, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
This France Wales game is crazy.  99 minutes and still playing.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1588 on: March 18, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »
We have been terrible so far.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #1589 on: March 18, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »
It's deja vu all over again in Dublin.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal