collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 03:04:58 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:02:43 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:01:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389905 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1455 on: February 24, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »
The team is pretty much what I expected.  Care in at 9 as well.  I hoped he'd experiment a little more but I think he's keeping his powder dry until the summer for that.  It's a shame Watson and JJ are out as they're, in my opinion, the 2 best finishers we have but I've heard JJ has a slight knock and Watson just isn't ready yet but is close which is why they kept him as a 24th man to keep working with him as long as possible.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1456 on: February 24, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »
Wondering whether Watson will get the nod at full back in the summer.
If I remember he's F/B at Bath.
Although I quite like Brown, his days must be numbered if we're building for the World Cup

Online paul_e

« Reply #1457 on: February 24, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
Although I quite like Brown, his days must be numbered if we're building for the World Cup

I think Daly playing in the back 3 when Jones has been very clear that he doesn't see him as a winger long term answers that one.  I believe he'd like to play a back 3 who are all comfortable across all 3 positions, Daly and Watson are 2/3rds of that and I can see there being a real scrap between Nowell and May for the other wing spot.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1458 on: February 24, 2017, 08:30:53 PM »

I think Daly playing in the back 3 when Jones has been very clear that he doesn't see him as a winger long term answers that one.  I believe he'd like to play a back 3 who are all comfortable across all 3 positions, Daly and Watson are 2/3rds of that and I can see there being a real scrap between Nowell and May for the other wing spot.

Have to say it has to be Nowell for me

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1459 on: February 24, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »
Not a big fan of Brown however his character seems a good fit with Jones' abrasive style, whereas both Daly and Watson seem more passive.  Therefore as a three, I can see Nowell getting the nod as, to me, he seems to have some flanker-like qualities which will complement Daly/watson's more silky skills.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1460 on: February 24, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
Will that chap from Sale, Solomana, qualify for England?
Age 23 and looks some player

Online paul_e

« Reply #1461 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »

He definitely qualifies but it's if he's interested.  On top of that I want to see teams put him under a bit of pressure and see how he holds up before he gets a call up, he's very new to top level RU so I'd hope they don't rush into anything to 'tag' him as ours.

From May and Nowell I think the former is a better try scorer but the latter has a better overall game so I'd be tempted to keep them both keen and go with a 'horses for courses' approach to it.

Right now, injuries and form permitting, I suspect there are 4 backs already in the team for the next world cup, Daly, Watson, Farrell and JJ.  the performances of T'eo and later Mallinder will decide which position Farrell plays and/or whether Ford holds on.  I think the 9 shirt will be hotly contested right up to the tournament and the final wing spot is a big question mark.  The forwards are even messier in my opinion (outside the locks who might as well book their flights and hotels already).

Offline nigel

« Reply #1462 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:28 PM »

He definitely qualifies but it's if he's interested.  On top of that I want to see teams put him under a bit of pressure and see how he holds up before he gets a call up, he's very new to top level RU so I'd hope they don't rush into anything to 'tag' him as ours.

From May and Nowell I think the former is a better try scorer but the latter has a better overall game so I'd be tempted to keep them both keen and go with a 'horses for courses' approach to it.

Right now, injuries and form permitting, I suspect there are 4 backs already in the team for the next world cup, Daly, Watson, Farrell and JJ.  the performances of T'eo and later Mallinder will decide which position Farrell plays and/or whether Ford holds on.  I think the 9 shirt will be hotly contested right up to the tournament and the final wing spot is a big question mark.  The forwards are even messier in my opinion (outside the locks who might as well book their flights and hotels already).

totally agree.
He certainly looks the real deal of the bits I've seen, though.
At only 23 he's got time on his side to develop his union game.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1463 on: February 24, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
I agree completely, and he played union up to about 16 anyway so it's not entirely new to him.  I just think people need to be careful they don't overhype him, one thing we've generally done well with the rugby team is to avoid that, the 2 big failures in that regard were Cipriani and Burgess who were both rushed in far too quickly, 1 went off the rails and lost 2-3 years of his career and the other walked away from the sport after a year.  I think we've had a few others who were promoted a little too early but their attitudes have been good enough to get away with it (Farrell is definitely in that group, it's only in the last year or 2 that he's looked ready, for me).

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1464 on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »
There's so many options available. I think Marchant is going to be a star and I know he's a bit of a forgotten man, even if he is in the squad this week, but I think Slade is class and I'd like to see him involved.

I agree on May and Nowell, they both offer something different and could be used dependant on the situation. The way Ford and Farrell are playing I think they could really exploit Nowell's ability to run excellent lines.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1465 on: February 25, 2017, 08:08:32 PM »
Home advantage x2 today in the matches between the mid table sides, as expected, there really is very little between them.  At the start of the tournament I thought Ireland would be a little better but they're actually just as average as I suspected.  Sexton does add a bit of quality to split the pack though.  I think the Welsh will beat them on Friday, leaving us looking to Beat Scotland to win the title, France getting their inevitable win over Italy should leave all 4 of them within a point or 2 of each other going into the last weekend.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1466 on: February 25, 2017, 08:30:05 PM »
France really should have won that, they were off to a great start and never capitalised on it added to poor discipline they gifted far too many points to Ireland and they looked dead on their feet after 35 minutes. Didn't really see anything to trouble England who should have far too much for Ireland you'd think.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1467 on: February 26, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
Don't think AWJ did himself any favours for captaining the Lions yesterday!!

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #1468 on: February 26, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
Pope start from Hughes.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #1469 on: February 26, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »
Not a great start this, quite sloppy and lacking in intensity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal