collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 386041 times)

Offline nigel

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1350 on: January 15, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »
What is the likely starting front row?

I'd have thought Matt Mullen, Dan Cole & Jamie George

Hartley will start if he proves himself fit.

And so he should, paul.
My front 3 were if he wasn't, though.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1351 on: January 16, 2017, 12:10:50 AM »
Fingers crossed that he sees the light and brings Robson in, he's been the best 9 in Europe for at least 12months, he's just as dangerous around the fringes as Youngs (as his excellent try this weekend showcased) but brings far better passing and kicking skills.  He also has a great understanding with Hughes who will obviously come in at 8 with Billy V out.  Good to see Launchbury play, gives us 3 top drawer locks to pick from and with Wood in exceptional form we're looking good at 6.  It will be interesting to see what he does at 7, Harrison is playing well again and Jones likes him but he hasn't really foudn his feet at international level yet.  Maybe a 6N campaign is what he needs right now.  either way we're going into a defence of our 6N title with an entirely new back row because of injuries and I don't think we're significantly weaker, that's where our genuine depth makes such a big difference.  Will be interesting to see how Mullan and Genge get on at loosehead as well, 2 more who wouldn't have expected to be in the 23 if everyone was fit, Genge in particular looks like he could be a bit special off the bench, him, Sinckler/Hill and George from the bench for the last 20 weakens our set piece but all of them would've been back row players a decade ago with their mobility and technique.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1352 on: January 16, 2017, 07:25:14 AM »
Is Itoje back yet?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1353 on: January 16, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »
He played at the weekend, think he's about 3-4 games in now so unless he picks something up he'll be fit to start.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1354 on: January 26, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
6 Nations starts a week Saturday with Scotland v Ireland, England v France and on Sunday Italy face Wales.

Very hard to call an overall winner, heart says England but head says Ireland obviously it could and should all come down to the final weekend with England facing the Irish in Dublin at 5pm.  Can't see any farther than Italy for the wooden spoon.

One upset that looks quite plausible is on opening weekend where Scotland must have a fair chance to put one over the Irish at home, should be a great clash to start the competition.

Incidentally, plans are afoot to turn the 6N into a 5 week competition at the behest of Premiership clubs, could be a double edged sword I suppose with the additional stress, pressure & injury likelihood increasing in a reduced timeframe.

Final table..........

England
Ireland
France
Scotland
Wales
Italy

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1355 on: January 26, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »
I honestly don't know what Scotland, Wales and French teams will turn up so I wouldn't dare call positions for them but I agree that it looks like England or Ireland for the title.  I'd go with England purely because we have so much impact from the bench that it's a trump card in close games and I can't see any of the teams having enough to build a big lead against us.

I have no idea what to think about Italy, every time they take a step forward and look like they really belong in the tournament they fall back again but I suspect you're right that they'll be bottom again.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1356 on: January 26, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »
Wales will be like SHA are with us, don't care about the other games but all out again England  ;)

Offline nigel

« Reply #1357 on: January 26, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
6 Nations starts a week Saturday with Scotland v Ireland, England v France and on Sunday Italy face Wales.

Very hard to call an overall winner, heart says England but head says Ireland obviously it could and should all come down to the final weekend with England facing the Irish in Dublin at 5pm.  Can't see any farther than Italy for the wooden spoon.

One upset that looks quite plausible is on opening weekend where Scotland must have a fair chance to put one over the Irish at home, should be a great clash to start the competition.

Incidentally, plans are afoot to turn the 6N into a 5 week competition at the behest of Premiership clubs, could be a double edged sword I suppose with the additional stress, pressure & injury likelihood increasing in a reduced timeframe.

Final table..........

England
Ireland
France
Scotland
Wales
Italy

France 3rd??
I think Scotland could be the surprise team. Ireland, Wales and Italy at home

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1358 on: January 26, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
We will win it. We have too much strength in depth for the others.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1359 on: January 26, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »

Final table..........

England
Ireland
France
Scotland
Wales
Italy

France 3rd??

You seriously expect me to put Wales and Scotland above them?  They're improving, if they turn up they're always a force.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1360 on: January 26, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
As I say, there is, for me, a whisker between the 3 of them, I wouldn't bet on anything in this one, I think the irish are strong but they could get pulled into that mid-table mess as well because they don't have great depth in some positions, an injury or 2 would really hurt them.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1361 on: January 27, 2017, 05:05:25 AM »
I would be staggered if England won given the injuries to key players. If we did I think the All Blacks would sit up and notice given the strength in depth that we would be demonstrating.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1362 on: January 27, 2017, 07:39:11 AM »

Final table..........

England
Ireland
France
Scotland
Wales
Italy

France 3rd??

You seriously expect me to put Wales and Scotland above them?  They're improving, if they turn up they're always a force.

I think Scotland certainly could, and as Paul says there's not a lot between the 3 of them.
France do have Scotland and Wales at home which might be  key decider.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1363 on: February 04, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
England U20s absolutely smashed France today 59-17

The conveyer belt just keeps running.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1364 on: February 04, 2017, 02:44:49 PM »
Jocks winning but their scrum is crap.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal