collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381482 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1320 on: December 03, 2016, 05:47:07 PM »
In the second half we were superb. Youngs was magnificent.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1321 on: December 03, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »
Shit for 15 minutes and then totally outclassed the convicts.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1322 on: December 04, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
Hughes had a good game and we barely missed Vunipola.  Clearly different players though as Hughes is less direct and would often drift sideways and ran out of pitch, which created some issues.  Hughes is quicker though and I'd imagine covers more of the pitch.

The simple fact that we were missing Vunipola, Haskell and Itoje from the forwards and matched them is pretty incredible.
Add Watson and Daly (Tuilagi possibly) from the backs and there another 10-15 points potentially missing.

Finally, the best bit, is that most of stand out performances are coming from the younger players and often with replacements coming through.  They will be a better team by the time the world cup comes around.   

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1323 on: December 04, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »
For the second week running I thought Robshaw could have been MOTM, Youngs was probably the right choice though his dummy outside that opened the line up for his try was sublime. 
Hooper and Pocock went awol in the second half and Australia looked out on their feet after 50 minutes. 

Offline nigel

« Reply #1324 on: December 04, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »
Hughes had a good game and we barely missed Vunipola.  Clearly different players though as Hughes is less direct and would often drift sideways and ran out of pitch, which created some issues.  Hughes is quicker though and I'd imagine covers more of the pitch.

The simple fact that we were missing Vunipola, Haskell and Itoje from the forwards and matched them is pretty incredible.
Add Watson and Daly (Tuilagi possibly) from the backs and there another 10-15 points potentially missing.

Finally, the best bit, is that most of stand out performances are coming from the younger players and often with replacements coming through.  They will be a better team by the time the world cup comes around.

Agree with that summary, Dante.
Although, I find it hard to see where Tuilagi could fit in to the way we're playing at the moment.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1325 on: December 04, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »

Agree with that summary, Dante.
Although, I find it hard to see where Tuilagi could fit in to the way we're playing at the moment.

I've thought that about manu for a while, i think I've been more critical of him than most because I've always been concerned that he makes us 1 dimensional.  I think I've likened him to Bent before, good player but the better he plays the weaker the rest of the team looks.  Given the choice I'd honestly have JJ and Daly ahead of him at 13 and he's even further back at 12.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1326 on: December 04, 2016, 04:10:56 PM »
Great line from one of the Sunday papers today.

'Ben Youngs sells more dummies than Mothercare'

Offline peter w

« Reply #1327 on: December 07, 2016, 05:13:49 AM »
The best thing you could say about the team is that most people no longer talk about Tuilagi and when he's due to return.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1328 on: December 07, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »
Started watching the French Super 14 on Sky Mix, it's easy to see why the French national team are struggling. The last game I saw was Toulon v Bordeaux, I think you'd have had a job sorting a French XV from the two teams.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1329 on: December 07, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »
Started watching the French Super 14 on Sky Mix, it's easy to see why the French national team are struggling. The last game I saw was Toulon v Bordeaux, I think you'd have had a job sorting a French XV from the two teams.

That's 1 of 2 problems with the french league.  The other is the obsession with being massive.  For years French backs had a reputation of being immensely talented but not liking the rough stuff and they seem to have taken it to heart.  It's at the point where if you're level with a french side with 10 to go you know that gaps will appear because they're all so big they struggle to get around the park.  In their domestic game it means the play is MUCH slower than any other major league in the north or south.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1330 on: December 07, 2016, 05:22:25 PM »
Just to put it out there, Gatland, Farrell, Howley and Borthwick is a fucking ridiculous coaching team.  How Farrell is anywhere near a backs coach job after the abomination he was involved in at the world cup is beyond me.  The only one of the 4 who deserves the job is Borthwick.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1331 on: December 07, 2016, 08:32:46 PM »
Just to put it out there, Gatland, Farrell, Howley and Borthwick is a fucking ridiculous coaching team.  How Farrell is anywhere near a backs coach job after the abomination he was involved in at the world cup is beyond me.  The only one of the 4 who deserves the job is Borthwick.

Amen to that.  Howley has been awful as well.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1332 on: December 08, 2016, 07:03:51 AM »
I don't see any hope for the Lions. They needed fresh ideas to take on the All Blacks. Gatland's success in the previous tour should be tempered by the fact that Australia were rubbish. Also the style he played would fail against the All Blacks.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1333 on: December 08, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »
I'd give Gatland the benefit of the doubt.
Borthwick, certainly.
The other two, unbelievable.

I'm just pleased Eddie wasn't asked. He can concentrate on England.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1334 on: December 08, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
I'd give Gatland the benefit of the doubt.
Borthwick, certainly.
The other two, unbelievable.

I'm just pleased Eddie wasn't asked. He can concentrate on England.

Isn't Howley interim coach at Wales, standing in whilst Gatland coaches the Lions.  Bizarre.
I also read the Fiji 7s coach was being approached.  I actually quite like the idea of that as long as he's not solely responsible for any key strategies.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal