collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381629 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1305 on: November 30, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »
I think Lawes has been playing well enough to cover for the loss (big loss as it is). Throw in Wood and the options that we have at wing (whatever happened to Wade?) and I think those positions will be covered. But Billy V will be a huge loss. Chance for someone though.

There was a spell on saturday where Argentina went through 4 or 5 phases of tackle/ruck/drive/tackle and Lawes was the tackler on each occasion.  It was phenomenal. 

Itoje is better with the ball but defensively and set pieces I don't think there's much between them.  Oh, Itoje wins when it comes to turnovers too.

This could be why Itoje could move to back row in some capacity.
Imagine him steaming at the opposition 10 from open side?

In all honesty I'd like us to keep working on the set piece play for both of them and try to get them into the side at 4 and 5 with Robshaw, Hughes and Billy as the back row.  Add Mako, Sinckler and George and you've got the most mobile pack the game has ever seen and we'd be able to defend more like a league team, commit very few, keep the width but pounce when there's a chance for a turnover.  It only works if they can hold their own in the scrum though.  In the line out Lawes has become and excellent organiser and Itoje has a great leap on him.1

We can be the best team in the world if we focus on fitness and mobility, that's where the professionalism of our players and our clubs stands us ahead of any other country in the world.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1306 on: December 01, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
Hughes & Yarde in the starting 15 for Saturday, have to say I like the look of that side to face the shackle draggers.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #1307 on: December 01, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »
I think Lawes has been playing well enough to cover for the loss (big loss as it is). Throw in Wood and the options that we have at wing (whatever happened to Wade?) and I think those positions will be covered. But Billy V will be a huge loss. Chance for someone though.

There was a spell on saturday where Argentina went through 4 or 5 phases of tackle/ruck/drive/tackle and Lawes was the tackler on each occasion.  It was phenomenal. 

Itoje is better with the ball but defensively and set pieces I don't think there's much between them.  Oh, Itoje wins when it comes to turnovers too.

In all honesty I'd like us to keep working on the set piece play for both of them and try to get them into the side at 4 and 5 with Robshaw, Hughes and Billy as the back row.  Add Mako, Sinckler and George and you've got the most mobile pack the game has ever seen and we'd be able to defend more like a league team, commit very few, keep the width but pounce when there's a chance for a turnover.  It only works if they can hold their own in the scrum though.  In the line out Lawes has become and excellent organiser and Itoje has a great leap on him.1

We can be the best team in the world if we focus on fitness and mobility, that's where the professionalism of our players and our clubs stands us ahead of any other country in the world.
Paul e,

Whilst I understand your reasons for putting Lawes in as number 5, do you think that he should start in front of a fully fit George Kruis ? He was running the line out calls in last season's 6N & the Australian tour and has the huge advantage of playing his club rugby with Itoje. I think that England are blessed with probably the best current crop of second rows in international rugby and maybe even the best lot that England have ever had. Far more, like other people have said, I think England need replacements / other options for Mike Brown and Dan Cole. I see that Alex Goode once again dropped the first high ball shown by ITV in their Premiership highlights of the Saracens v Gloucester game last weekend ! With my Sale hat on, I think that Mike Haley could be an option for the 15 shirt, but probably not for another 12 months. He had an outstanding tour with the Saxons to South Africa during the summer before he got injured. I think that there are a number of young props that could take Cole's [place in the near future.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1308 on: December 01, 2016, 02:14:32 PM »

Paul e,

Whilst I understand your reasons for putting Lawes in as number 5, do you think that he should start in front of a fully fit George Kruis ? He was running the line out calls in last season's 6N & the Australian tour and has the huge advantage of playing his club rugby with Itoje. I think that England are blessed with probably the best current crop of second rows in international rugby and maybe even the best lot that England have ever had. Far more, like other people have said, I think England need replacements / other options for Mike Brown and Dan Cole. I see that Alex Goode once again dropped the first high ball shown by ITV in their Premiership highlights of the Saracens v Gloucester game last weekend ! With my Sale hat on, I think that Mike Haley could be an option for the 15 shirt, but probably not for another 12 months. He had an outstanding tour with the Saxons to South Africa during the summer before he got injured. I think that there are a number of young props that could take Cole's [place in the near future.

I think Launchbury and Kruis are exceptional locks but I think Itoje and Lawes are as well and they could both easily play back row at international level because they're so mobile.  It's that extra mobility and pace that I find attractive.  being more pragmatic in truth I'd probably start one of the former for the extra weight in the scrum and assurance at the line out and then replace them after 50-55 with the running power and mobility Lawes.  Don't forget though that Lawes has been the main line out caller (with Hartley) for Saints for a couple of years so his link up shouldn't be dismissed.

Fundamentally Itoje and 1 from 3 is the main aim and results in a world class pairing whatever you choose, I'd honestly back our locks as the best set ever in the sport, and they've all got at least 2 more world cups in them if they avoid major injuries.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:13:43 PM by paul_e »

Online paul_e

« Reply #1309 on: December 01, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »
The squad for the aussie game was released earlier - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38167545

M Brown (Harlequins); M Yarde (Harlequins), J Joseph (Bath), O Farrell (Saracens), J May (Gloucester); G Ford (Bath), B Youngs (Leicester)

M Vunipola (Saracens), D Hartley (Northampton, capt), D Cole (Leicester), C Lawes (Northampton), G Kruis (Saracens), C Robshaw (Harlequins), T Wood (Northampton), N Hughes (Wasps).

Replacements: J George (Saracens), J Marler (Harlequins), K Sinckler (Harlequins), C Ewels (Bath), T Harrison (Northampton), D Care (Harlequins), B Te'o (Worcester), H Slade (Exeter).

Now I like Yarde more than most people but how the fuck is he ahead of Roko?  Other than that it's about the best we can do right now and I reckon there's enough there to see them off and record win number 14 but we really need to have the intensity right from the start and to not ease off.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1310 on: December 03, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »
Aussies really want this one you can tell. They've had a bit of a shocker sporting wise lately so they need this.

Plus im on a Christmas boozy boat trip tomorrow with a load a rugby supporting Aussies. One whose particularly gobby.

Is it too much to ask for an England/Villa double?

Offline nigel

« Reply #1311 on: December 03, 2016, 10:41:43 AM »
Aussies really want this one you can tell. They've had a bit of a shocker sporting wise lately so they need this.

Plus im on a Christmas boozy boat trip tomorrow with a load a rugby supporting Aussies. One whose particularly gobby.

Is it too much to ask for an England/Villa double?

Got to be worth a small flutter on that double

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1312 on: December 03, 2016, 02:51:19 PM »
This is the worst 15 minutes I've seen.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1313 on: December 03, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
Better now.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #1314 on: December 03, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
Absolutely awful. No intensity, no skill, just nothing.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1315 on: December 03, 2016, 03:22:32 PM »
Haven't seen much but not playing great so far. However only 3 down after being battered for a half is fine for me and we have the bigger impact from the bench so I'd still make favourites unless they can stretch it to a 10+ lead early 2nd half.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #1316 on: December 03, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »
Only positive is the score. Horribly meak display so far.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #1317 on: December 03, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
This is much much better. Intensity is up.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #1318 on: December 03, 2016, 04:14:31 PM »
Another win.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1319 on: December 03, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
Again only caught bits but Hughes seemed to have a good 2nd half and our quality blew them away in the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal