collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by rob_bridge
[Today at 08:24:53 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:24:04 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:08:23 PM]

Tennis 2024 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 08:02:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 385946 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1170 on: June 25, 2016, 08:59:59 PM »
I hope my post earlier didn't come across as negatively as it reads back now, i think the referendum was still too fresh which made me sound angrier than i was.

The result was very good, the series has been brilliant and i think it's now pretty clear that there is a top 2.  I also think the 9 wins in a row show up just how poor a coach Lancaster was.

Moving on the U20s utterly demolished Ireland in the final, Mallinder was utterly brilliant again, i honestly think he'll be in the full squad by the autumn.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #1171 on: June 26, 2016, 06:31:37 AM »
Fantastic result, fantastic series. I agree with previous posters Eddie Jones has transformed us into a force, which, will get better and better

The interesting thing is Eddie Jones was not particularly happy after the whitewash last night. That's the sign of a coach who thinks a lot of improvement can be made.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1172 on: June 26, 2016, 09:43:36 AM »
Jones has been brilliant and has turned us into a winning side, who will only get better. Farrell's game has massively improved under him.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1173 on: June 26, 2016, 10:56:37 AM »
There are few sights more beautiful than watching Australian tv Rugby pundits, most of whom took part in a pre-tour tv ad deriding England's chances, having to eat humble pie. They were gutted.

Hasnt stopoed them still banging on about scoring more tries than England in 2 out of the 3 matches though. You'd think that it was only tries that counted.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #1174 on: June 26, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
There are few sights more beautiful than watching Australian tv Rugby pundits, most of whom took part in a pre-tour tv ad deriding England's chances, having to eat humble pie. They were gutted.

Hasnt stopoed them still banging on about scoring more tries than England in 2 out of the 3 matches though. You'd think that it was only tries that counted.

Easy response to that OZVilla. Just remind them of the number of penalties they gave away, spoiling play at the breakdown. If they hadn't kept doing this England would have scored a lot more tries.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1175 on: June 26, 2016, 11:08:22 AM »

Easy response to that OZVilla. Just remind them of the number of penalties they gave away, spoiling play at the breakdown. If they hadn't kept doing this England would have scored a lot more tries.

thanks, I'll remember that one JD but funnily enough no ones really mentioning it, which is weird because after beating us at the WC last year there was a flipping chorus line of them wanting to talk Rugby. Strange that!

Offline nigel

« Reply #1176 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
In Wales at The Australia bar, Pothmadog, pretty quiet, as you can imagine e 😊

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1177 on: June 26, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »
Any highlights about?  Missed it yesterday. 
Thanks in advance.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #1178 on: June 26, 2016, 12:51:11 PM »
Oz press taking it well :)

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #1179 on: June 26, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
Jones has been brilliant and has turned us into a winning side, who will only get better. Farrell's game has massively improved under him.

I think it's more subtle than that, I think Jones has given him the confidence to play for England like he has been for Saracens for a good couple of years now. Either way, he's definitely playing better in a white shirt than he was before Jones took over.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1180 on: June 26, 2016, 02:17:29 PM »
What we need now is for a team to match us up front to see if we can be effective without clear dominance in the set piece. That's where Farrell at 12 takes something away from us.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #1181 on: June 26, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
What we need now is for a team to match us up front to see if we can be effective without clear dominance in the set piece. That's where Farrell at 12 takes something away from us.

I think the way Bath played all season shows that if that was likely, you should drop Ford and move Farrell to 10.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1182 on: June 26, 2016, 07:35:20 PM »

I think the way Bath played all season shows that if that was likely, you should drop Ford and move Farrell to 10.

I'm not sure that would solve the problem.  If the pack is going backwards then we need to start moving big units about.  I'd suggest that Ford has a better tactical kicking game and is definitely better from the hand.  Not as good when kicking for the posts and physical impact but otherwise I'd still suggest he's a better players.  Admittedly the gap has closed significantly.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1183 on: June 26, 2016, 10:09:47 PM »

I'm not sure that would solve the problem.  If the pack is going backwards then we need to start moving big units about.  I'd suggest that Ford has a better tactical kicking game and is definitely better from the hand.  Not as good when kicking for the posts and physical impact but otherwise I'd still suggest he's a better players.  Admittedly the gap has closed significantly.

Exactly I think we need to find a genuine alternative at 12 and start picking 2 from 3 depending on the opponent.  I thought Slade might be that player but Jones doesn't seem convinced.  By the next world cup I suspect that Mallinder will have forced the issue, given the record of winning captains moving into the main squad within a few years (Itoje and Clifford) I think he's certain to be well on the radar.  If he plays with Ford he gives you the extra distance and accuracy from the tee and if he plays with Farrell his tactical kicking is superb.  Being 6' 4 and a bit of a brick shithouse helps a lot as well.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1184 on: June 27, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »
Sam Burgess.  Remember him?  No thought not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal