collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by trinityoap
[Today at 09:49:17 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381491 times)

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
Re: Six Nations 2016
« Reply #1005 on: March 22, 2016, 10:34:17 PM »
I refuse to agree with paul_e on principle. Even though he's right.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1006 on: March 22, 2016, 10:50:27 PM »
As an amateur watcher of rugby I've been able to watch Brown and be oblivious to his faults. i have seen paul e's criticisms about Brown before but largely disregard them. But only because not being a big time rugby fan I'm happy in my ignorant bliss. But when I watched the France game I was shocked at just how poor he was. mistakes were highlighted throughout the game, even by way of the commentary team pointing out Brown's poor positional play when stationed in the centre of the pitch as Wales attacked the left wing.

But i'm not sure a good player can be that poor unless the issues were there before. Still, if Jones is minded to give him another game I think you'll see replacements on the bench ready to haul him off. He'll be murdered if he plays like that against the Aussies.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1007 on: March 22, 2016, 11:01:55 PM »
I refuse to agree with paul_e on principle. Even though he's right.

Awww, I think the the closest thing to a compliment I'll ever get from you so I'm taking it.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1008 on: March 25, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »
One thing, one plus, with Brown is he is clearly a big character, always at the centre of what is going on. 
There's a risk that if you removed him then you'd be removing one of the pulses - not quite the heart beat - of the team. 

It might be that Jones sees him a reliable influence to include in the team whilst the youngsters are integrated: Itoje / Daly / Clifford / Tuilagi, even Watson etc.  Once that transition has taken place then he might be a less integral part of the team. 

I think he'll be 31 by the time the Autumn Internationals anyway so not a bad age to be eased sideways.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1009 on: April 15, 2016, 06:08:55 PM »
So who are the 3/4 players who Jones is referring to from Grand Slam squad who he's disappointed with?

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #1010 on: April 15, 2016, 06:45:03 PM »
So who are the 3/4 players who Jones is referring to from Grand Slam squad who he's disappointed with?

At a guess, Mako, George Ford, JJ and possibly Brown or Watson. Bath have been so poor this year, their players automatically come to mind. Think it's all mind games though 😄

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #1011 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »
As an aside to the above question regarding England, does anyone know much about Ben Te'o who's been mentioned in dispatches today for a place on the summer tour? I would have thought with Slade, Manu, Daly and Joseph we'd be covered well enough at centre? That said, if JJ is one of the players who Eddie thinks isn't playing well, then maybe he's under pressure from this fella? When you add in Burrell, Eastmond and Twelvetrees who are not even on the radar at the moment, it's quite incredible our options.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #1012 on: April 15, 2016, 07:05:08 PM »
Ford has gone backwards this year, whereas Farrell has come on miles and is by far the better bet atm. I would play Cipriani ahead of Ford too.

Hopefully it's a blip, because I really did rate him last season, and he could be a grateful 10.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1013 on: April 16, 2016, 08:15:36 AM »
If you pick on form then cips is the 10 and both 9s get replaced with Robson and Chudley.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1014 on: April 16, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »
So Wade scored 6 today, good luck to whoever has to explain why he's not on the England tour if he doesn't get selected.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1015 on: April 16, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
So Wade scored 6 today, good luck to whoever has to explain why he's not on the England tour if he doesn't get selected.

He's just got to go he's a lethal finisher.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1016 on: May 08, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »
Squad for the wales game has been announced, remember this is with Sarries, Tigers, Chiefs and Wasps players all ineligible:

ENGLAND TRAINING SQUAD

Forwards
Dave Attwood (Bath)
Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints)
Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
Charlie Ewels (Bath)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Teimana Harrison (Northampton Saints)
Paul Hill (Northampton Saints)
Matt Kvesic (Gloucester)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
Tommy Taylor (Sale Sharks)

Backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks)
Ollie Devoto (Bath)
George Ford (Bath)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath)
Mike Haley (Sale Sharks)
Alex Lewington (London Irish) 
Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath)
Anthony Watson (Bath)
Marland Yarde (Harlequins)
Micky Young (Newcastle Falcons)

I'm largely happy with that.  I called Lewington as an outside bet in the autumn so it's good to see that England have seen the same potential there. I'm not sure about Haley but he's worth a look and I'm utterly convinced that Sinckler will never make it as an international other than that I'm happy.  I'd have been tempted to bring Mallinder in purely to see how he works in the squad but he's not ready yet so I can't argue with them.  I'm expecting a tour squad of about 40 and there's 20ish from the playoffs to come in so I suspect there are 5-6 names in this list that will drop away after the Wales match, any of them who don't make the 23 are almost certainly staying home.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1017 on: May 09, 2016, 08:19:53 PM »
So here's where Mallinder is:

England squad for World Rugby U20 Championship:

Sam Aspland-Robinson (Harlequins)
Darren Atkins (Bath Rugby)
Josh Bainbridge (Yorkshire Carnegie)
Lewis Boyce (Yorkshire Carnegie)
Theo Brophy-Clews (London Irish)
Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons)
Will Evans (Leicester Tigers)
Matt Gallagher (Saracens)
Max Green (Yorkshire Carnegie)
Billy Keast (Exeter Chiefs)
Andrew Kitchener (Worcester Warriors)
Max Malins (Saracens)
Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins)
Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby)
George Nott (Sale Sharks)
George Perkins (Saracens)
Harry Randall (Gloucester Rugby)
Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors)
Stan South (Harlequins)
Will Stuart (Wasps)
Huw Taylor (Worcester Warriors)
Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby)
Billy Walker (Saracens)
Jack Walker (Yorkshire Carnegie)
Tom West (Wasps)
Johnny Williams (London Irish)
Jack Willis (Wasps)

Not many of them that I know from that list, Marchant and Mallinder have had big seasons for their clubs though and Perkins looks a fantastic prospect, should be worth watching.

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #1018 on: May 10, 2016, 11:17:10 AM »
Sliding off-topic, because I know next to nothing about under-20s rugby - the first thing that springs to mind reading that list is just how bloody posh & middle-class rugby still seems to be. In a list of 28 names, there are;

3 Jacks
2 Georges
2 Maxs
2 Harrys
2 Wills (+ 2 Billys)

That's getting on half the squad from 5 first names that, to my mind and having attended an independant school myself  that bloody worshipped rugby - producing Harry Ellis & Harry Thacker (two more Harrys!) for the Tigers & England -, scream white (upper-)middle-class families.

It would be interesting (but not so interesting that I can be arsed to take time out of work) to see the comparative variety of the national football and cricket squads and think about how rugby could expand across social classes (or whatever the correct terms may be to encompass income brackets, religious and ethnic backgrounds).

Online paul_e

« Reply #1019 on: May 10, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
Sliding off-topic, because I know next to nothing about under-20s rugby - the first thing that springs to mind reading that list is just how bloody posh & middle-class rugby still seems to be. In a list of 28 names, there are;

3 Jacks
2 Georges
2 Maxs
2 Harrys
2 Wills (+ 2 Billys)

That's getting on half the squad from 5 first names that, to my mind and having attended an independant school myself  that bloody worshipped rugby - producing Harry Ellis & Harry Thacker (two more Harrys!) for the Tigers & England -, scream white (upper-)middle-class families.

It would be interesting (but not so interesting that I can be arsed to take time out of work) to see the comparative variety of the national football and cricket squads and think about how rugby could expand across social classes (or whatever the correct terms may be to encompass income brackets, religious and ethnic backgrounds).

I think Rugby has done a good job of doing just that in some areas of the country (South-West and London in particular) but in others has completely failed to get any interest in the comprehensive schools. In my opinion it's largely because the quality of coaching just isn't available outside of clubs and public schools.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal