collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 11:00:13 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381672 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #735 on: January 27, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »
I'm curious to see where he sees Slade once he's fit, because he has to play and Jones has already said he sees Tuilagi as 'world class' and as a 12. It'll be interesting to see where people fit.

I disagree with him on Tuilagi, if he can shave off the rough edges (which have always been there but are even clearer after the couple of years he's had) he can be a world class 13, at 12 I'd prefer someone who is better at bringing other players into the game.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Six Nations 2016
« Reply #736 on: January 27, 2016, 10:26:28 PM »
Time for the thread to have another name change. Who do people fancy to finish second behind Scotland?

Online paul_e

« Reply #737 on: January 27, 2016, 11:43:26 PM »
Time for the thread to have another name change. Who do people fancy to finish second behind Scotland?

ignoring the obvious clickbait this year is a really tough call.  A lot of the french players are struggling for form, Ireland look much weaker than they have been, the Welsh have even worse form problems than France, the Italians who've stalled a bit, Scotland are comfortably the most improved side (but given they had been challenging for the spoon with Italy that was much needed) and England are trying to change style following an awful world cup which is always a risk.

With all that I'd honestly say this is the closest 6N (on paper) for years and it should make for some fascinating ties with the first weekend likely to be the best of the lot, Italy are normally at their best vs France and always come out of the blocks fast so that has huge upset potential, then you have England looking to dominate up front and create opportunities for the backs against a Scottish side who want to keep the ball in the loose and counter attack and then Sunday is a kick out between 2 'up and under' traditional NH teams.

The wild card is the club performances, Racing aside the English teams have bossed both competitions so you'd think there will a lot of confidence in the group that they've spent 6 months knocking the world cup out of their collective systems by beating the best the celtic and french leagues have to offer with a fair amount of regularity.  If Jones can build that into something positive England could be really dangerous this year.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #738 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
I've genuinely got not idea who's going to win, going to be very interesting.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #739 on: January 28, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »

I've been in Scotland the past few days, this is a pretty common theme amongst the deluded skirt wearing traitors.  Based on 1 good game at the RWC they think they're the surprise package of 2016.  I'm sure they'll give England a good game first up, they're a bit like the noses, it's their final and what with Murrayfield no longer being packed out with schoolchildren with free tickets because their Union couldnt give tickets away 2 years ago to those of a drinking age, I expect it will be an intimidating afternoon for England but expect us to win by 8.

And no, I have no idea who'll win it but it won't be Scotland.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:57:52 PM by Jon Crofts »

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #740 on: January 28, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
I'm interested to see how we (England) get on. I'm a little disappointed with some of the decisions made, but before I see the team play it's hard to judge. I just want Jones to get us back to having a forward pack that dominates, but with the cutting edge in the backs.

Offline peter w

« Reply #741 on: January 28, 2016, 07:49:25 PM »

Georgia

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #742 on: January 28, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »
Sadly I really don't expect Scotland to do well. I remember doing well against New Zealand and comfortably beating Argentina in the Autumn tests, another time when we'd beaten Australia home and away, in each case we went into the Six Nations full of confidence and fucked it up good and proper. I'd be delighted with three wins. One or zero is still more likely.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #743 on: January 28, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »
Sadly I really don't expect Scotland to do well. I remember doing well against New Zealand and comfortably beating Argentina in the Autumn tests, another time when we'd beaten Australia home and away, in each case we went into the Six Nations full of confidence and fucked it up good and proper. I'd be delighted with three wins. One or zero is still more likely.

You could say the same for England to be fair, it's wide open, I suspect Wales and Ireland will be there or there a outs come the final weekend sadly.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #744 on: January 28, 2016, 10:31:58 PM »
I hope Wales do badly. They seem the mouthiest when their team does well.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #745 on: January 29, 2016, 08:47:22 AM »

Georgia

Did you have them on your mind?

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #746 on: January 29, 2016, 02:28:41 PM »
Tuilagi is ridiculously injury prone.

Online paul_e

« Reply #747 on: January 29, 2016, 04:33:36 PM »
Indeed, I really think he needs to leave Leicester, there's something not right and a clean start would've been best for everyone.  Some of his injury problems have been down to technical flaws that were just allowed to carry on, Wilkinson had a similar issue and missed a big chunk of what should have been the best part of his career because of it and I can see Manu going the same way.

Offline peter w

« Reply #748 on: January 29, 2016, 11:25:30 PM »
I think England will win the 6 nations pretty comfortably. Before the World Cup we always seemed to be nearly there and put in some great performances but always the odd poor one. I just fancy that the World Cup will have galvanised a team that just want to get out there and right a few wrongs. I think it'll be a clean sweep.

1. England
2. France
3. Wales
4. Scotland
5. Ireland
6. Italy

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #749 on: January 29, 2016, 11:28:27 PM »
I think England will win the 6 nations pretty comfortably. Before the World Cup we always seemed to be nearly there and put in some great performances but always the odd poor one. I just fancy that the World Cup will have galvanised a team that just want to get out there and right a few wrongs. I think it'll be a clean sweep.

1. England
2. France
3. Wales
4. Scotland
5. Ireland
6. Italy

That must be based on sentiment and not any factual evidence, we have a new coach and captain who is prone to being banned, we went out in the World Cup group stages and haven't done a grand slam for ages, and yet with all these variables you think this is the year?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal