collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381576 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #705 on: January 15, 2016, 11:51:34 PM »
Must admit to not being quite keyed in with what's going on, but if Jones doesn't see May in his plans then, to borrow from Dr House, he's an idiot.

As I say, lets see what happens in the summer when he gets to fully overhaul the squad rather than being restricted (central contracts mean he can't just pick whatever squad he wants, he had to select most of the world cup squad).  I like May, he's a fantastic winger but it is an area where we have a lot of strength so let's give Yarde and Ashton a chance to show they should be there.

Offline peter w

« Reply #706 on: January 16, 2016, 09:22:19 AM »
I'd worry about any professional sportsman who, for whatever reason, wants a year out of the game as if they're on a gap year. Even if he comes back I suspect his edge, legs, mind, whatever, will be gone. I'm not sure I'd want him back either. Obviously I'm talking about international level as I have no interest in club rugby - unless he fancies it at Moseley.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #707 on: January 16, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »
Has Ashton found a rich new seam of form then, or learnt some new tricks? Last matches he'd played in for England he looked like a very poor man's Ben Cohen, a finisher nothig more and not able to create chances himself.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #708 on: January 16, 2016, 10:38:03 AM »
England played the wrong type of game for Ashton, but yes he's scored a lot of tries and got a lot better under the high ball. I think with Ford he'd be excellent.

Online paul_e

« Reply #709 on: January 16, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »
England played the wrong type of game for Ashton, but yes he's scored a lot of tries and got a lot better under the high ball. I think with Ford he'd be excellent.

Pretty much this, he's worked on his defence a lot with the guy who is now England defence coach, so they must be confident that he's ok on that side. In attack he's always been good enough.

Online paul_e

« Reply #710 on: January 19, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »

Pretty much this, he's worked on his defence a lot with the guy who is now England defence coach, so they must be confident that he's ok on that side. In attack he's always been good enough.

Looks like this might be academic, seems pretty certain that he's going to be on the end of a significant ban, there are videos about but pulling someone out of a maul by their face just isn't going to end well, 8-12 weeks I reckon.

So Roko back in I'd guess?  I'd go a bit left-field and call up Lewington but I don't think Jones is ready to be that brave.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #711 on: January 19, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »
It's 12 weeks minimum isn't it? it's annoying really, as I'd like to see him given the chance.

Online paul_e

« Reply #712 on: January 19, 2016, 02:55:38 PM »
It's 12 weeks minimum isn't it? it's annoying really, as I'd like to see him given the chance.

Technically yes but with the option to reduce up to a 3rd bad on reputation, Given Ashton hasn't really ever done anything nasty I'd suspect it'll be dropped by a few weeks.  The key thing is, having watched a few videos of it I can't see how he won't get banned, I don't think there's any malicious intent there but it's horribly clumsy given the current reffing of using the head or neck to clear someone out.

about 21-22 seconds in you see it real time, ashton wearing 14 on Marshall with the cap on just as Ulster try to bundle it into touch, I just can't see him getting away with it.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #713 on: January 20, 2016, 02:30:13 PM »
As expected Ashton out of the 6 Nations then, disappointing.

Online paul_e

« Reply #714 on: January 20, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
10 weeks, so pretty much exactly what i predicted, no surprise.  Was a very stupid thing to do so close to the tournament.

Online paul_e

« Reply #715 on: January 25, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
Roko called up as replacement for Ashton, probably the right call.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #716 on: January 25, 2016, 02:12:55 PM »
Hartley is probably the right call. I could only think of two players I'd absolutely certainly start and they're Hartley and Launchbury. Brown would come close to that, but I think on balance Hartley is probably the right choice.

Online paul_e

« Reply #717 on: January 25, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
Hartley is probably the right call. I could only think of two players I'd absolutely certainly start and they're Hartley and Launchbury. Brown would come close to that, but I think on balance Hartley is probably the right choice.

Brown should never be anywhere near the captaincy even without the massive flaws to his game that I see (but which many others don't) fullbacks are a rubbish choice for the job and on top of that he's not the sharpest of tools.

Launchbury, in my opinion, is a few years away from being ready but he's the right choice longer term.  I think Slade will become a leader in the team as well and Hill looks like he has everything you'd want in a captain as well but Hartley for a couple of years and then go from there seems obvious.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #718 on: January 25, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »
Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting Brown should be captain, I meant that he was one of only three players I could fairly catergorically say will start.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #719 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »
I think Jones would be doing everyone a favour if the captaincy was awarded for the next set of internationals (6-Nations / Autumn Internationals / 6 Nations etc), then it would not be a shock/demotion if Launchbury was appointed this time next year.  It also avoids the Robshaw situation where a player cannot be dropped because he is captain. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal