collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381582 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #675 on: December 17, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
Dylan Hartlley, from suspended for the RWC 2015 to England captain so rumour has it.

Certainly an interesting choice if true.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #676 on: December 17, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
Well first thing he clearly should have been at the world cup, he's the only international class hooker we have and he was hugely missed in the scrum and lineout.

That ticks the first box of being the best player available in his position.
He's young enough to play in 2019 so that ticks the 2nd box.
He's played 66 games for England and has captained a title winning side domestically.
He will challenge a referee if he thinks they're being unfair (as opposed to apologising to them like Robshaw).

The 54 weeks of bans is the problem but even then some of it is very harsh.

26 weeks for eye-gouging - can't defend this but it was a long time ago now (2007) and is nearly half of the ban time on it's own.  Over 18 weeks is considered 'high-end' for this.
8 weeks for biting Ferris' finger because he was fish-hooking him out of a ruck, I'm not condoning biting but if someone jams 2 fingers into your mouth to pull you out of a ruck you've got mitigating circumstances, 8 weeks was far too long.
2 weeks for punching Rory Best I can agree with.
11 weeks for calling Barnes a cheat when he gave an incredibly harsh penalty, given how Barnes had been in the game I can understand the frustration but he needed to keep a hold on it until halftime and then have it raised via the proper channels.
3 weeks for 'elbowing' Matt Smith - again the ban is about fair but calling it elbowing is .
4 weeks for 'headbutting' Jamie George - The harshest of the lot, anyone else on that pitch and they get a slap on wrist, Hartley gets a 4 week ban and loses his world cup place.

I honestly think you could take 15-20 weeks away from that lot and they'd be more fitting for what he'd done, the Ferris and George bans were totally inappropriate for the offence.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #677 on: December 17, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
I saw Stuart Lancaster getting off the tub this morning.  That is all.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #678 on: December 17, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »
Off the tub?

Online paul_e

« Reply #679 on: December 17, 2015, 08:22:10 PM »
to be fair a guy who thinks Chris Robshaw is an international quality open-side might well think that a bathtub is a reasonable mode of transport so I'm not questioning it.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #680 on: December 17, 2015, 11:15:19 PM »
Gustard is the defensive coach then. Could be a very good appointment.

Online paul_e

« Reply #681 on: December 17, 2015, 11:33:52 PM »
Gustard is a superb appointment, I hate sarries but to their credit they're superbly well organised in defence.  If we can get a backs coach with a rep for creating sides which break the line in first and second phase then I think we'll quickly become the team that we can be.

Offline peter w

« Reply #682 on: December 18, 2015, 12:51:01 AM »
Would you keep Robshaw at 6?

Online paul_e

« Reply #683 on: December 18, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
Would you keep Robshaw at 6?

I'd let him compete for the shirt, we've got a lot of strength at 6 so I don't think anyone can be guaranteed a spot (Robshaw, Wood, Haskell, Gibson off the top of my head).

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #684 on: December 18, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »
Gustard is a superb appointment, I hate sarries but to their credit they're superbly well organised in defence.  If we can get a backs coach with a rep for creating sides which break the line in first and second phase then I think we'll quickly become the team that we can be.

He's looking at Alex King.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #685 on: December 18, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
I agree on Robshaw, he should be in with a shout at 6.

Online paul_e

« Reply #686 on: December 18, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »

He's looking at Alex King.

I'm not sure I like that idea.  I'm a saints fan and I don't think King has got them playing in a style that would suit the attacking options England have.  Based on this season I'd be keeping a very close eye on Lee Blackett at Wasps, their backs look superb.  Darren Edwards at Bath is the other option.  As above I want someone who has teams creating line-breaks in first phase, that's the bit where good coaching really shows.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #687 on: December 18, 2015, 08:59:19 PM »
Watching Saints now, and always try to watch when they're on TV, and I agree with that.  The play is too forwards/strength orientated.  If the forwards don't dominate then we struggle.  JJ (the new fly half, who's name I cannot remember) may change that over time, but nothing suggest it is a blueprint England should copy.

I read somewhere that Jones wants to have control of the attacking play, with a lesser coach to support him.

Online paul_e

« Reply #688 on: December 18, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »
Watching Saints now, and always try to watch when they're on TV, and I agree with that.  The play is too forwards/strength orientated.  If the forwards don't dominate then we struggle.  JJ (the new fly half, who's name I cannot remember) may change that over time, but nothing suggest it is a blueprint England should copy.

I read somewhere that Jones wants to have control of the attacking play, with a lesser coach to support him.

JJ Hanrahan is a good signing and might give us something more to go with and Burrell will always run dangerous lines and has a fantastic offload but the backline is far too static and they make themselves easy targets all too often.  It's a shame because a side with North, Foden, Elliott, K. Pisi and Tuala as the wide options should be seriously dangerous but too many times it comes back to the forwards punching holes at the breakdown and creating broken field so those outside backs have space.  It can be very effective but an aggressive defence can close them down, hence they struggle against sides like Racing and Sarries.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #689 on: December 19, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
The draw with Racing summed up the current Saints team and for that matter England team.  They were the better team in the 2nd half and won countless turnovers but once won, and with the play was broken, they chose to take the ball into contact and the safety of their routines.  It's all too pre-meditated in my opinion and a few more maverick players need to be afforded the luxury of a few mistakes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal