collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 385957 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
« Reply #645 on: November 20, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »
Eddie Jones it is then.  4 year contract starting in December, I assume he'll bring Steve Borthwick with him too.

First job Eddie, get the ridiculous no overseas players rule ditched by the old farts & get them all on central contracts.

Borthwick will be in I'm sure and I suspect we'll see a back of a similar pedigree, I wouldn't be massively surprised if it turned out to be Ugo Monye.

Online paul_e

« Reply #646 on: November 20, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »
England rugby have a video with Jones on their facebook page, I won't link to it because I don't like adding facebook links and I'm sure much of it will come out in other interviews anyway but the key bits for me:

Wants to keep with English traditions and have a strong set piece and defence but thinks that's not enough to win and we need to add 'pluses' to it by being willing and able to get the ball wide.
Will talk with Ritchie about central contracts, he thinks the relationship between clubs and country is key - I think this is a clear sign that he'll push for the core of the team to be moved to central contracts.
He's said the politically correct answer to the overseas players question, to paraphrase slightly, the rule is in place so if you want to play for England then you know you need to play in England and he only wants players who want to play for England.
He will talk to Robshaw but importantly he said he wants a captain that embodies the spirit of the team, will be an automatic selection and can lead from the front.  Will be interesting to see what comes from that but I expect Robshaw to lose it and my money is on Joe Launchbury.

Online nordenvillain

« Reply #647 on: November 20, 2015, 02:05:36 PM »
Eddie Jones it is then.  4 year contract starting in December, I assume he'll bring Steve Borthwick with him too.

First job Eddie, get the ridiculous no overseas players rule ditched by the old farts & get them all on central contracts.
If David Campanese (Australia's go to person when the media want a valued unbiased objective view of anything concerning England quite obviously) thinks Eddie Jones is a bad appointment, Eddie must be the man for the job ! Seeing as he has not yet overseen The Stormers play a game, will this be world record compensation for a coach that never actually coached the team getting the compensation ?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #648 on: November 20, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »
England rugby have a video with Jones on their facebook page, I won't link to it because I don't like adding facebook links and I'm sure much of it will come out in other interviews anyway but the key bits for me:

Wants to keep with English traditions and have a strong set piece and defence but thinks that's not enough to win and we need to add 'pluses' to it by being willing and able to get the ball wide.
Will talk with Ritchie about central contracts, he thinks the relationship between clubs and country is key - I think this is a clear sign that he'll push for the core of the team to be moved to central contracts.
He's said the politically correct answer to the overseas players question, to paraphrase slightly, the rule is in place so if you want to play for England then you know you need to play in England and he only wants players who want to play for England.
He will talk to Robshaw but importantly he said he wants a captain that embodies the spirit of the team, will be an automatic selection and can lead from the front.  Will be interesting to see what comes from that but I expect Robshaw to lose it and my money is on Joe Launchbury.

All sounds like good stuff to me, and retaining the English strength of a good set piece and adding flair to it is key. I think Robshaw still can be involved, but only as a 6.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #649 on: November 20, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »

If David Campanese (Australia's go to person when the media want a valued unbiased objective view of anything concerning England quite obviously) thinks Eddie Jones is a bad appointment, Eddie must be the man for the job ! Seeing as he has not yet overseen The Stormers play a game, will this be world record compensation for a coach that never actually coached the team getting the compensation ?

Indeed, Campese is as irrelevant in rugby these days as Ian Holloway is in football.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #650 on: November 20, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »
First thing, can this thread be renamed to 'International Rugby' and kept alive.

You watch, a mod will be along any minute now.......................

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #651 on: November 20, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »
Well, after a few hours...

Online paul_e

« Reply #652 on: November 20, 2015, 07:45:16 PM »
thanks

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #653 on: November 20, 2015, 11:07:08 PM »
It's funny the cafe Jones references in Winchester is one I go to quite regularly. I don't think discarding Robshaw completely is great, he should compete at 6.

Online paul_e

« Reply #654 on: November 21, 2015, 01:32:35 AM »
It's funny the cafe Jones references in Winchester is one I go to quite regularly. I don't think discarding Robshaw completely is great, he should compete at 6.

I think that's what happen, I'm confident we won't see him at 7 again though, which would be the right decision

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #655 on: November 21, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »
Most of the commentary on Jones states that he tries to identify and maximise the countries natural game.  I hope he doesn't interpret our games as simply the 'bulldog' spirit and choose a one dimensional game-plan.  That is probably my only worry.

oh another - has he got the stomach/authority to actually try and change the way rugby is run in this country?  Is he simply the coach or does he have loftier ambitions?

Online paul_e

« Reply #656 on: November 21, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
Most of the commentary on Jones states that he tries to identify and maximise the countries natural game.  I hope he doesn't interpret our games as simply the 'bulldog' spirit and choose a one dimensional game-plan.  That is probably my only worry.

oh another - has he got the stomach/authority to actually try and change the way rugby is run in this country?  Is he simply the coach or does he have loftier ambitions?

http://www.rugbydump.com/2015/11/4769/eddie-jones-leaves-the-stormers-and-is-appointed-new-england-head-coach

Video at the bottom, one of the questions is about style and he says he'll try to keep the basics we have but add to them.

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #657 on: November 22, 2015, 12:59:54 AM »
Only a couple of weeks after winning the Rugby World Cup New Zealand has had a week of mourning, firstly with the very sad news about Jonah (I've never seen an outpouring of grief like it) and then "The King" - Richie McCaw announcing his retirement. Has been a very strange week over here.   

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #658 on: November 22, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »
Only a couple of weeks after winning the Rugby World Cup New Zealand has had a week of mourning, firstly with the very sad news about Jonah (I've never seen an outpouring of grief like it) and then "The King" - Richie McCaw announcing his retirement. Has been a very strange week over here.   

Inappropriate to even speculate this, but has there ever been rumours of Lomu and steroid use?  It seems an awkward coincidence that the biggest freak of player had kidney failure.  A friend who played at a club in NZ (it might have been league though) said that steroid use was rife and that would have been the same era. 

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #659 on: November 23, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »

Inappropriate to even speculate this, but has there ever been rumours of Lomu and steroid use?  It seems an awkward coincidence that the biggest freak of player had kidney failure.  A friend who played at a club in NZ (it might have been league though) said that steroid use was rife and that would have been the same era. 

A valid question although there have been issues with steroid abuse in League and players have been banned here and Australia, I have never heard of any abuse in Rugby Union. Jonah was a top athlete at school in a few disciplines and was big when he was at school. I think he was just what people called him, a freak of nature.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal