collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381624 times)

Offline lovejoy

Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2015, 12:15:55 PM »
I'm already getting a bit annoyed by White. I'm not sure if it's extracts from the same interview, and if it is I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but there seems to be a soundbite from him every day at the moment.

Never trust a man who changes his name.

Too true aev.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #631 on: November 17, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
Good first half from Gloucester against Zebre on Friday. Shite second mind.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #632 on: November 18, 2015, 08:13:35 AM »
RIP Jonah, an absolute megastar.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #633 on: November 18, 2015, 08:17:03 AM »
RIP Jonah, an absolute megastar.
Remember when he burst onto the scene when I was a kid. Frightening he was. RIP. Glad he got to see the All Black's win the world cup.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #634 on: November 18, 2015, 09:08:35 AM »
Terrible news but he's known for a long while that it was likely to happen after the kidney transplant failed a few years back.  May sound harsh but at least he's had a chance to prepare his family, etc. that's not usual for someone his age.  Great winger at his peak who really should have had much more success in his career.

RIP Jonah

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #635 on: November 18, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »
Terrible news but he's known for a long while that it was likely to happen after the kidney transplant failed a few years back.  May sound harsh but at least he's had a chance to prepare his family, etc. that's not usual for someone his age.  Great winger at his peak who really should have had much more success in his career.

RIP Jonah

40 years old.....still remember him destroying England in the 95 World Cup...RIP Jonah.

UTV
The Doc

Offline paul_e

« Reply #636 on: November 18, 2015, 03:25:46 PM »

RIP Jonah

40 years old.....still remember him destroying England in the 95 World Cup...RIP Jonah.

UTV
The Doc

yep, think he was diagnosed when he was about 22 and had a kidney transplant in his mid-late 20s which then failed 4-5 years ago.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #637 on: November 18, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »
The transplant was rejected in 2011 I believe. An absolute monster of a player and I can at least say I got to meet him.

A few years back he was here doing promotional work and my boss, a Kiwi, managed to organise an afternoon on the beer with him (he wasn't drinking).

A very nice chap and incredibly humble.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #638 on: November 19, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
He had a slightly odd transplant too. They normally plumb transplanted kidneys in as near to the bladder as possible i.e. lower than they normally reside, but because he wanted to go back to rugby, they put it in higher up, behind the rib cage, to protect it from impacts.

My brother-in-law is a keen snowboarder and had the same procedure when he got a kidney from my wife a few years later.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #639 on: November 19, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »
Sounds like Eddie Jones is going to be England's new coach. I'd be very happy with that.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #640 on: November 19, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »
Sounds like Eddie Jones is going to be England's new coach. I'd be very happy with that.

Yeah it's looking pretty likely, he's the right sort of appointment, our last 2 have been rookies and the job has shown to be too big for them so a guy who's had one of the few jobs that is as big already should be a safe bet.  On top of that he will encourage us to play to our strengths and get the backs much more involved.  I'm happy with this choice.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #641 on: November 19, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
Yep agreed, certainly if the choice is between him and White I know who I want.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #642 on: November 19, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
I think White was the right appointment 4 years ago but not now.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #643 on: November 20, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »
Eddie Jones it is then.  4 year contract starting in December, I assume he'll bring Steve Borthwick with him too.

First job Eddie, get the ridiculous no overseas players rule ditched by the old farts & get them all on central contracts.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #644 on: November 20, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
First thing, can this thread be renamed to 'International Rugby' and kept alive.

More importantly, Eddie Jones it is, confirmed this morning - http://www.englandrugby.com/news/eddie-jones-appointed-england-head-coach/

Article in full for non-clickers:

England Rugby has appointed Eddie Jones as Head Coach on a four-year contract, starting in December.

Jones will take charge of England ahead of their opening RBS 6 Nations game against Scotland at Murrayfield on 6 February.

The Australian has had a long and successful coaching career, winning trophies both domestically and internationally, having also spent time coaching in England.

His first major piece of silverware came in 2001 after leading the ACT Brumbies to their first Super 12 title and in doing so becoming the first side outside New Zealand to win the tournament.

Jones took charge of the Wallabies between 2001 and 2005 and delivered both Tri-Nations and Bledisloe Cup success. The national side reached the 2003 Rugby World Cup final on home soil, losing narrowly to England.

After spells with the Queensland Reds and Saracens, the 55 year-old took up a technical advisor role with the Springboks in 2007, helping the South Africans win their second World Cup beating England in the final.

He later became Director of Rugby at Saracens until 2009 and then coached the Japanese club side Suntory Sungoliath.

Jones returned to the international arena in 2011 as Head Coach for Japan where his mother was born. His achievements included arguably the biggest shock in Rugby World Cup history when his side beat South Africa 34-32.

Japan went on to win three of their four pool matches and their performance saw them move into the top ten of the world rankings. Following the tournament he was appointed Head Coach of the South African Super franchise, The Stormers, before agreeing terms with the RFU.

Bright Future
“Firstly my thanks must go to Rob Wagner and everyone at Western Province Rugby for understanding my decision and allowing me to return to the international stage so quickly," said Jones. 

"The opportunity to take the reins in, possibly, the world’s most high profile international rugby job doesn’t come along every day however, and I feel fortunate to be given the opportunity.

“I’m now looking forward to working with the RFU and the players to move beyond the disappointment England suffered at the World Cup and hope to build a new team that will reflect the level of talent that exists within the English game. I believe the future is bright for England.”

RFU Chief Executive Ian Ritchie said: “We promised to recruit a coach with proven international experience and we have done that.

"Eddie is a world-class coach, with extensive experience at the highest level with Australia, South Africa and Japan. We believe that the appointment, which was unanimously approved by the RFU Board, is the right one to bring England success in the short, medium and long term.”

Ritchie added: “We are confident Eddie can build on the strong foundations already laid, with this talented group of players largely remaining together through to the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan and beyond. We are grateful to the Stormers for their co-operation in releasing Eddie early from his contract.”

The bold bit is important and I'm really happy that he's starting so soon and will be able to watch a bunch of matches before his 6N squad gets picked, I think there will be a few surprises, top of the list for me will be call ups for Daly, Itoje and Clifford, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Beaumont get a call up before long.  I doubt Robshaw will wear 7 again, think we might see a bit of a battle between him and Wood for the 6 shirt with Clifford, Kvesic and maybe Armitage (it wouldn't surprise me if Jones is less strict with that rule) fighting for 7.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal