collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 386150 times)

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
« Reply #585 on: October 24, 2015, 11:13:38 PM »
I managed to avoid hearing anything about the RSA v NZ game and was therefore able to watch it as live when I got home. A really enjoyable game to watch, despite the weather conditions. Some if the hits/collisions were immense.

The hits were bad enough at the low level of rugby I played but I dint know how the players get up from some of the collisions at pro level.

Online Proposition Joe

« Reply #586 on: October 25, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »
As much as Offside McCaw and his Globetrotters annoy me, just 2mins of the second semi reminded me how much I can't stand the Wallabies. I'll be rooting for the ABs next week.

Pumas seemed to have been caught cold which is a bit of a surprise. Perhaps they still don't feel they belong in the top tier and the occasion has got to them.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #587 on: October 25, 2015, 06:28:16 PM »
As much as Offside McCaw and his Globetrotters annoy me, just 2mins of the second semi reminded me how much I can't stand the Wallabies. I'll be rooting for the ABs next week.

Pumas seemed to have been caught cold which is a bit of a surprise. Perhaps they still don't feel they belong in the top tier and the occasion has got to them.

Didn't watch it today (forgot when kick off was) but I suspect it was as much that they just ran out of steam.  Argentina have put everything they have into this tournament and I think this was just a game too far for them.

Next week I'll be rooting for the aussies because it's worth money to me but aside from that I really couldn't care less now, NZ win and everything will be about how McCaw, Carter, et al are the greatest sportsmen ever, completely ignoring the easy ride they get from refs and if australia win I have to put up with loads of smug bullshit from my aussie friends for however long they think they can get out of it (18months after the ashes down there).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #588 on: October 25, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
I don't think Australia will be able to complain too much if New Zealand get an easy ride from the refs.

(Yep. Still bitter.)

Online UK Redsox

« Reply #589 on: October 25, 2015, 10:22:22 PM »
I managed to avoid hearing about today's game as well and watched it when I got back in from the NFL. Good effort by the Argies but the Aussies were comfortably the better team overall. Pocock was superb.

Online Proposition Joe

« Reply #590 on: October 26, 2015, 09:11:01 PM »
I managed to avoid hearing about today's game as well and watched it when I got back in from the NFL. Good effort by the Argies but the Aussies were comfortably the better team overall. Pocock was superb.

Speaking of which, how does he do what he does so often, and do it legally?  Or are they always clever enough to pile enough bodies in between him and the ref so he can't really see how he does it? 

But I really like where Argentina are going with their rugby.  Hope they stick with flinging the ball around, and keep on having a monster scrum.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #591 on: October 27, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »
But I really like where Argentina are going with their rugby.  Hope they stick with flinging the ball around, and keep on having a monster scrum.

Their current coach identified that flinging it about was more aligned to their Latin spirit and wants to make it part of their rugby DNA.  He's also an ex 7s coach, so I doubt it will change whilst he is in charge.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #592 on: October 27, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »

Speaking of which, how does he do what he does so often, and do it legally?  Or are they always clever enough to pile enough bodies in between him and the ref so he can't really see how he does it? 

A lot like Armitage, sharp reactions, good understnading of the game and the tackle area and a low centre of gravity.  This is why it frustrates me when people call macaw the best 7 ever, or other such platitudes, he's not even the best in this world cup but he is very good at bending the rules just enough to get an advantage but not get pinged for it.  That's not a huge problem, plenty of 7s try it, but I'd love it if just once a ref didn't put up with it.  I reckon yellow within the first 15 and red before half time.

Offline peter w

« Reply #593 on: October 27, 2015, 01:57:08 PM »
Let it go paul, let it go.

Online UK Redsox

« Reply #594 on: October 27, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
This is why it frustrates me when people call macaw the best 7 ever, or other such platitudes, he's not even the best in this world cup but he is very good at bending the rules just enough to get an advantage but not get pinged for it.  That's not a huge problem, plenty of 7s try it, but I'd love it if just once a ref didn't put up with it.  I reckon yellow within the first 15 and red before half time.

The Ref on Saturday pinged McCaw for offside in the first few minutes of the semi

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #595 on: October 30, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »
This is why it frustrates me when people call macaw the best 7 ever, or other such platitudes, he's not even the best in this world cup but he is very good at bending the rules just enough to get an advantage but not get pinged for it.  That's not a huge problem, plenty of 7s try it, but I'd love it if just once a ref didn't put up with it.  I reckon yellow within the first 15 and red before half time.

The Ref on Saturday pinged McCaw for offside in the first few minutes of the semi

Once.  He was the wrong side about 8 times.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #596 on: October 30, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
Annoying that the Aussie tactics have been leaked.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #597 on: October 30, 2015, 10:33:19 PM »
I was out of the house until half time in the 3rd place game but I flicked on for the 2nd half and managed 8 minutes before turning off in anger that some appalling referee decisions.

The Etzebeth try came from SA winning turnover ball and breaking into the corner, which is all well and good until you see that the SA flyhalf had the guy in a headlock to make the tackle, how the fuck did no one spot that?

Then a few minutes later argentina get a scrum in the SA 22 because Habana has hands of teflon, after the scrum half picks it up 2-3 SA tacklers get him and are pushing him back until one of them lifts his legs in the air and then lets go, not a card because it wasn't particularly dangerous in context but it's a definite penalty, instead it's ignored and then the ref gives the pen the other way for coming in at the side.

SA are much better than Argentina so why the fuck do officials feel the need to help them out with shit like this?

I'm normally very positive towards rugby refs (except Wayne Barnes who clearly doesn't like a few players and can't keep that out of his decision making - Hartley and Kvesic are the 2 where it's really obvious) but the standard in this world cup has been awful at times and it makes the rules seem much more complex than they should be for the more casual viewers, along with ensuring NZ have had the easiest ride to the final imaginable.

Online Proposition Joe

« Reply #598 on: October 31, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »
Despite me writing last week I hope the Globetrotters win, the more I hear about Pocock the more I want him to be on the winning team.

@Paul_e: for those casual observers like me, the reaction to the ref blowing for a penalty 9/10 is "what was that for?".  And I've been watching 5 then 6N for over 20 years, and played Union at school (and League too). 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #599 on: October 31, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
Hope it's a belter.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal