collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 386328 times)

Offline luke:lamf

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3285 on: July 15, 2021, 12:23:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/QuadeCooper/status/1414779860300357632

Turns out Quade Cooper, despite 70 appearances for the Aussies, is not actually Australian. Whilst I find it disgusting that they have rejected his application given that record of representation for the country, I'm equal parts astounded and appalled that he was ever allowed to play for them in the first place. If you don't hold the actual citizenship of the country you're representing, what's the point of international competition ? Might as well just be glorified club games.

His family moved to Australia when he was 13.
Right, but he’s still not actually a holder of Australian citizenship, he is someone who has a visa / leave / whatever to live and work in Oz. I assume he is not stateless, he has the citizenship of somewhere, so he should only play international rugby for them.

Just to be clear, in no way I am saying he shouldn’t have Aussie citizenship, or doesn’t deserve it, just that only Aussie citizens should play for Oz. In the same way I think / hope that all the SA players turning out for France all have French citizenship, and not just French residents. Admittedly this becomes more obtuse for Scotland and Wales which don’t dole out their own citizenship, and Ireland too.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3286 on: July 15, 2021, 03:41:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/QuadeCooper/status/1414779860300357632

Turns out Quade Cooper, despite 70 appearances for the Aussies, is not actually Australian. Whilst I find it disgusting that they have rejected his application given that record of representation for the country, I'm equal parts astounded and appalled that he was ever allowed to play for them in the first place. If you don't hold the actual citizenship of the country you're representing, what's the point of international competition ? Might as well just be glorified club games.

His family moved to Australia when he was 13.
Right, but he’s still not actually a holder of Australian citizenship, he is someone who has a visa / leave / whatever to live and work in Oz. I assume he is not stateless, he has the citizenship of somewhere, so he should only play international rugby for them.

Just to be clear, in no way I am saying he shouldn’t have Aussie citizenship, or doesn’t deserve it, just that only Aussie citizens should play for Oz. In the same way I think / hope that all the SA players turning out for France all have French citizenship, and not just French residents. Admittedly this becomes more obtuse for Scotland and Wales which don’t dole out their own citizenship, and Ireland too.

That's literally never been how it works for any sport, residency has always been enough.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3287 on: July 21, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »
Lions team to face South Africa: Hogg; A Watson, Daly, Henshaw, Van Der Merwe; Biggar, Price; W Jones, Cowan-Dickie, Furlong, Itoje, AW Jones (capt), Lawes, Curry, Conan.

Replacements: Owens, Sutherland, Sinckler, Beirne, H Watson, Murray, Farrell, L Williams.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3288 on: July 21, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »
Mostly happy with that but I think Hogg is very lucky to be starting and Adams and Simmonds can feel hard done by to not be in the 23.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #3289 on: July 21, 2021, 01:04:16 PM »
I'd prefer Adams / Zammo on the wings and old bandy-legs* at Full-Back

Beirne is also unlucky not to be starting

(*still not sure how Liam Williams can even walk, let alone play international rugby)

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #3290 on: July 21, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
One mimght think Gatland is colluding with Eddie Jones to troll Simmonds.

"Yeah, mate, I know you don't pick him at all, but what I'll do is choose him for the squad to tour, but leave him out of the matchday 23. That'll really mess with him. Who does he think he is, being the record try-scorer in a season full-stop, and European Cup winner?".

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #3291 on: July 21, 2021, 01:30:42 PM »
Elliot knock on Daly shouldn't even be in the squad let alone starting.

Hamish Watson is unlucky too.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3292 on: July 21, 2021, 01:57:09 PM »
Elliot knock on Daly shouldn't even be in the squad let alone starting.

Hamish Watson is unlucky too.

Daly has suffered from Jones trying to turn him in to a winger/full back. At 13 he is a far better player. I'm still not convinced he should start for the Lions but given the competition (Aki and Harris) I think it's a fair call. If anything all it really does is show how poor the options are at centre in Europe.

Watson is a little unlucky but backrow is exact opposite of the centres and there's not one in the squad who wouldn't do a good job starting, there's also a fair few top class back rows that aren't in the squad (underhill for a start).

All that said I think my biggest problem with the squad is the half back cover on the bench. I ee no circumstance where Price nad Biggar aren't working and the solution is Murray and Farrell. Not much to be done about Murray but I'd have strongly considered Smith to cover 10, he's bang on form and he offers a bit of x factor that we lost with the injury to Russell.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #3293 on: July 21, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »
I'd have Harris (and Aki) over Daly every day but it's all about opinions I guess.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3294 on: July 21, 2021, 02:36:50 PM »
I'd have Harris (and Aki) over Daly every day but it's all about opinions I guess.

I wouldn't have Aki out there to clean boots, he's nowhere near good enough. Harris and Daly are pretty close for me, Daly slightly better in attack and Harris is a better defender but fine margins either way. If Daly hadn't been shifted about by Jones (and Sarries) I think he wouldn't have so many detractors. Add to that him starting the 6N when he (along with most of the sarries players) was nowhere near the match fitness needed and his reputation has been badly hit by decisions outside his control.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #3295 on: July 21, 2021, 08:18:19 PM »

I’d pick myself over Aki and I was the slowest Centre the game has ever seen.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3296 on: July 24, 2021, 06:07:54 PM »
Frankly, getting a bit mullered here.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #3297 on: July 24, 2021, 07:01:01 PM »
get in !!!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3298 on: July 24, 2021, 07:21:17 PM »
Great turnaround in the second half, well done the Lions.  Bit lucky a couple of times with decisions but works both ways.  Great kick from Farrell near the end.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3299 on: July 24, 2021, 08:15:51 PM »
Well, that turned out ok!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal