collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381799 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3255 on: March 21, 2021, 03:58:18 PM »
Watching the highlights from the premiership yesterday and the Saints/Bears game today has just made how poor england were all the more obvious, so much good rugby being played and at such a good pace. This game alone has 5-6 English players who deserve a look in with national team.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3256 on: March 22, 2021, 04:39:46 AM »
I find it weird that Jones keep citing the Lions as this key point in the development cycle. I understand the point that it means that a number of players won’t be available, although based on recent form who knows, and therefore that gives space for others. But you shouldn’t need Lions selection to do that. If Jones thinks the squad needs refreshing, and it does, then he should be proactively doing that. I’m not saying you have to write-off careers, although in some cases that is what it’ll be mean, but it’s a vital component of successful teams. You need fresh blood coming in and forcing the incumbent players to up their levels to retain their position. It’s far too comfortable at the moment.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3257 on: March 22, 2021, 01:51:43 PM »
I find it weird that Jones keep citing the Lions as this key point in the development cycle. I understand the point that it means that a number of players won’t be available, although based on recent form who knows, and therefore that gives space for others. But you shouldn’t need Lions selection to do that. If Jones thinks the squad needs refreshing, and it does, then he should be proactively doing that. I’m not saying you have to write-off careers, although in some cases that is what it’ll be mean, but it’s a vital component of successful teams. You need fresh blood coming in and forcing the incumbent players to up their levels to retain their position. It’s far too comfortable at the moment.

Normally age would be the big driver of change but in truth there's no one in the squad who won't be available for the next world cup (Courtney Lawes at 34 will be the oldest) so it needs to be more manufactured than that, he needs to take a proper look at which players are actually performing for him and he's just not willing to do that yet, which makes the lions tour a nice excuse to delay it and wait for his hand to be forced.

The flaw in the plan is that I suspect he was banking on players like George, Youngs, Farrell and Billy V to be automatic inclusions but as things stand I don't see a place in the lions squad for any of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the lions squad has a smaller than expected English contingent because all the in form English players would have to leap frog England and go straight into the squad and I can't see that happening for more than a couple (Simmonds and Smith would go for me).

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #3258 on: March 22, 2021, 01:56:17 PM »
At the moment the only 3 England players I can see with a realistic chance of starting the first Lions test would be Itoje, Curry and Watson.

Even Itoje for how brilliant he can be, may be deemed too much of a penalty risk.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3259 on: March 22, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »
Curry is the only one for me right now.

Jones, Owens, Furlong
Beirne, Wyn Jones(C)
Curry, Faletau, Watson
Williams, Russell
Rees-Zammit, Davies, Ringrose, Adams
Hogg

On 6n form at least.

In the squad from England I'd have:
Cowan-Dickie, Sinckler, Itoje, Lawes, Curry, Simmonds, Smith, Watson and O'Connor (but the latter would be a real outside bet).

9 and the centres are the weak spots and England do have good players in both positions but Youngs isn't one of them and the mess of the English 8-12 axis means no English centre has looked good enough for a while now. I feel for Slade because he's a very good player but he needs to wash away the stench of being part of a non-functioning midfield before he gets back in my good books.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3260 on: March 22, 2021, 02:52:59 PM »
I’d have May in there.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3261 on: March 22, 2021, 03:33:48 PM »
I’d have May in there.

That depends on a couple of other spots for me.

At FB you go with Hogg, Keenan and Williams so does Williams also cover as a winger? If so do you only pick 5 wingers for the squad?
Then what about North? Gatland will take him but is it as a centre, a winger or both?

Top 4 wingers right now for me are Rees-Zamitt, Adams, Van De Merwe and Watson. If you see Williams and North as cover that might be all you take. If not Earls and May are the next 2 and I think you can go wither way with that choice.

A year ago May was the best in the world but he hasn't got to that same level often enough in this 6N and he's been struggling at club level as well, in part because Gloucester had such a poor start to the season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3262 on: March 26, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »
Scotland depleted because France broke the rules. Absolute farce, Scotland should have been awarded this game weeks ago.

Online nigel

« Reply #3263 on: March 26, 2021, 07:48:20 PM »

Jones, Owens, Furlong
Beirne, Wyn Jones(C)
Curry, Faletau, Watson
Williams, Russell
Rees-Zammit, Davies, Ringrose, Adams
Hogg

Forwards I just have Cowan-Dickie in at 2

9-15
Murray
Biggar
Rees-Zammit
Davis
North
Watson
Hogg

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3264 on: March 26, 2021, 08:07:33 PM »
On the wings for the Lions I think it's a clear 2 from 4 with Rees-Zammit, Adams, Watson and Van Der Merwe all of them have looked superb in this 6N.

Cowan-Dickie definitely goes and he'd be in my 23. I think Owens is just ahead but they'd be pretty interchangable, Turner would be my 3rd.

10 is all about how you want to play, I like a 10 who plays high and keeps defences tight which is why I'd go with Russell, Biggar offers more control though and is fantastic if they look like playing a kicking game. At 9 I really struggled because I don't think any of them had a particularly good 6N but Williams is a good defender and against de Klerk and/or Reinach you need that.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3265 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:21 PM »
Some game that. 🙂

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3266 on: March 26, 2021, 10:03:14 PM »
It was clearly accidental but that forearm from Russell was really dangerous.

Fair play to scotland, pushed them all the way and took advantage of a complete brain fart from Dulin who should've put the ball out and secured the win, they couldn't win the championship anyway.

Now it's all done my player of the tournament is Fickou, almost the perfect centre in this tournament, his organisation in defence and attack has been exceptional and I've found it frustrating that commentators have largely overlooked it until this game.

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #3267 on: March 26, 2021, 11:42:32 PM »
An excellent tournament, proper "Any Given Saturday/Sunday" results (bar Italy), although the best team (France) didn't win. RWC2023 ticketing opened up the other day too, albeit with no games anywhere near me but I might push the boat out and see if I can get 3 for the France v. NZ opener as a birthday present and ake the kids along. If they can't get into rugby after the opening ceremony, haka, and what will likely be an excellent game, then there's no hope for them.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3268 on: March 28, 2021, 07:58:07 PM »
An excellent tournament, proper "Any Given Saturday/Sunday" results (bar Italy), although the best team (France) didn't win. RWC2023 ticketing opened up the other day too, albeit with no games anywhere near me but I might push the boat out and see if I can get 3 for the France v. NZ opener as a birthday present and ake the kids along. If they can't get into rugby after the opening ceremony, haka, and what will likely be an excellent game, then there's no hope for them.

Just a warning, the website for RWC2023  is shambolic.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3269 on: May 06, 2021, 10:44:00 AM »
Lions squad gets announced in a couple of hours.

So far Alun Wyn Jones has been confirmed as captain and there's strong rumours that 2 non-internationals have been included, both English. If that's true it feels very much like Gatland sticking 2 fingers up at Eddie Jones. I suspect it'll be Sam Simmonds as 1 of them and for the other I think it'll be a 9, probably Care for his experience but I wouldn't completely rule out Mitchell.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:23:51 PM by paul_e »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal