collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:52:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 02:52:02 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:51:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 02:51:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:50:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 02:50:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Scott Nielsen
[Today at 02:49:50 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 02:49:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League - Aston Villa can't afford to be much worse this season  (Read 8791 times)

Offline boboonthecorner

I'm excited for the upcoming season but this is an interesting read with regards to the signing of our French contingent!

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/tactics-and-analysis/67/post/2547839/in-the-premier-league-aston-villa-cant-be-much-worse?

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Re: Premier League - Aston Villa can't afford to be much worse this season
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
Paul Lambert. "Overly technical".

Fabian Delph. "A gigantic loss".

Not sure which is more laughable.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
When can the myth stop that we've lost 4/5 key players?

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »

I dont think we've lost 4/5 but without Bentekes goals, Delph and Vlaar its questionable whether we wouldve survived? Hard to prove one way or the other though.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:24 PM »

I dont think we've lost 4/5 but without Bentekes goals, Delph and Vlaar its questionable whether we wouldve survived? Hard to prove one way or the other though.

Benteke is a huge loss, but we are never going to be able to replace him, we've got to get the rest of the team functioning so we aren't a one man team (which we were, let's be honest).

Delph, good player, replaceable. Vlaar, insignificant if he is always out. Cleverley, rubbish for 85% of the season and got a good booing for parts of it. I've even heard Given mentioned as a big loss, ffs, he's played about 10 games in two years.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:30:47 PM »

Benteke is a huge loss, but we are never going to be able to replace him, we've got to get the rest of the team functioning so we aren't a one man team (which we were, let's be honest).

Delph, good player, replaceable. Vlaar, insignificant if he is always out. Cleverley, rubbish for 85% of the season and got a good booing for parts of it. I've even heard Given mentioned as a big loss, ffs, he's played about 10 games in two years.

As I said an easy comment to make now the season is finished, imposssible to prove one way or the other.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 06:53:45 PM »
Right now, nobody knows anything, whether it be the new signings or Sherwood's ability. The big difference is, before a ball is kicked, we have hope and I'd imagine for the first time in a long time, the vast majority are looking forward to the new season.

As for the players we've lost, only Benteke is a real big loss. Delph was good but rarely ever turned up for a full game. Cleverly rarely turned up for a game. As for Vlaar, he was turning into a liability and won't be missed.

Reading these articles, you do wonder what these journalists know about football beyond the top 4. I've just seen the Guardian lot are predicting Stoke to finish 7th. As all teams outside the top 6 are a bit shit, we have just as much a chance as anybody. Hopefully we'll surprise at lot of these tossers but frankly I could care more.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »
Right now, nobody knows anything, whether it be the new signings or Sherwood's ability. The big difference is, before a ball is kicked, we have hope and I'd imagine for the first time in a long time, the vast majority are looking forward to the new season.

As for the players we've lost, only Benteke is a real big loss. Delph was good but rarely ever turned up for a full game. Cleverly rarely turned up for a game. As for Vlaar, he was turning into a liability and won't be missed.

Reading these articles, you do wonder what these journalists know about football beyond the top 4. I've just seen the Guardian lot are predicting Stoke to finish 7th. As all teams outside the top 6 are a bit shit, we have just as much a chance as anybody. Hopefully we'll surprise at lot of these tossers but frankly I could care more.

He seemed to be making plenty of worthwhile statements regarding the quality of the French league and I don't think he was in anyway being overly critical of Villa. I think we've made some very exciting signings but a top 12 finish would be a huge stride in my opinion. Im all for the optimism just think we should be patient and not expect too much too soon.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »

I have seen it written that we lost our first choice keeper , he started like what 5 games at the end of the season following 2 years of not evening being on the bench ..we didn't lose him we let a high wage earner who was in the twilight of his career leave to use the funds elsewhere.

Benteke is the only irreplaceable one to have left.Fab was good but Gueye looks a good replacement.Cleverly was shit until TS took over and Vlaar not only was he injured most of the time some of his defending (Stoke /Southampton) was appalling.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:49 PM »
I thought that was a pretty fair write up to be honest, the crux of it being that the squad is full of 'ifs and but'.  If we get off to a good start and the squad begins on an upward trajectory we could improve quickly.  On the flip side we do not know much about the character of most of the players, especially the new ones, so it is an unknown what will happen if we start badly.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »
The loss of 4 key players line is laughable though. Vlaar and cleverley key players? You what son?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
Also, to talk about young players stepping up and ignore Clark is equally criminal.

Online KRS

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
I'm happy for the media to right us off. Its a bit disrespectful to our new players but they do need to gel and show that the faith that TS has put in them wasn't misplaced.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »
The loss of 4 key players line is laughable though. Vlaar and cleverley key players? You what son?

I think they mean "key" in the sense that they played a lot of games for us (when available), which they did.  Whether they'd be key players in better teams, or whether they're replaceable is (very) debatable.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
Also, to talk about young players stepping up and ignore Clark is equally criminal.

Towards the end of the season people wouldve been happy for Cleverley to stay and how much longer is Clark going to be regrded as a young player. He's 26 next month......
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:06:07 PM by boboonthecorner »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal