collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:36:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:33:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:31:47 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by nick harper
[Today at 05:31:35 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:30:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Mellin
[Today at 05:29:21 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:28:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by django
[Today at 05:26:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: London Lions (the originals)  (Read 23025 times)

Offline Newportfred

Re: London Lions (the originals)
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 09:48:59 PM »
Indeed Lance was from Northampton and worked on the railway, I cannot think who the mod was. Nick was from Barnet with the long hair and always wore a t-shirt and a suit jacket.  Met the lads at Brighton about 1973, although I had going to the Villa since about 1967, and stopped being a regular in the mid eighties when marriage and the kids kicked in. The night we won the league when we all went to a pub in Old Street in the city, normally closed at weekends, but somebody knew him and he opened up for the celebrations.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Nick's definitely the one I thought he was then. It's odd that of the lot I knew circa 1985, none were still going five or so years later when I first met people like the O'Briens and Guy Haslam.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:16:14 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »
I had a short association with them in 1977 when I was working in Watford for six months . Best trip was up to Anfield when we beat them 2-1 5th November 1977 . 

I also turned out for them in a 'friendly' against the Albion London Supporters club.

A friendly bunch and a very welcome find for a Villa fan in exile.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:08 AM »
Loved Nick he was top drawer. 

Now it all comes flooding back to me Lionel was  from Leatherhead, when I started washing cars to get the £££ for the Villa I  used to get the coach  from Victoria , Lionel and his dad  would always be on it and got me into some places like the Directors suite for one game.

Remember well  the Liverpool Bonfire day game - there weren't too many Villa there that day, Merseyside was a  bit of a no go area for a lot of fans.  You really did  have to have your wits about you.  It only came on top once for me there, near the start of  season game not the Brian Little game, but a year or  two later when everyone seemed to melt and I was  getting chased by Everton by Lime Street.  It was just not known for a team to win at Anfield. 

Come the late 70's apart from Man  Utd's cockney's rent a mob (a load of hangers  on) there were not a lot of youngsters travelling off to watch non London teams - the few that did were quite matey, me, Dino of Everton, the twins who were Liverpool fans and one or two others.  We all had a hatred of this blabber mouth Leeds skinhead - a lot of older lads hated him as well.

Such a good time really - yet years  later there was no way  in the world that I would have let my boys and girl enjoy what I had and experienced. 

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 12:01:18 AM »
My only remembrance of Leatherhead is a young me in tear up with their fans. Cheltenham Town getting beaten in a monsoon away to Hastings and Leatherhead were away to another Hastings club who played at the top rather than bottom if the hill.

St. Leonards?

Offline SX150

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »
Loved Nick he was top drawer. 

Now it all comes flooding back to me Lionel was  from Leatherhead, when I started washing cars to get the £££ for the Villa I  used to get the coach  from Victoria , Lionel and his dad  would always be on it and got me into some places like the Directors suite for one game.

Remember well  the Liverpool Bonfire day game - there weren't too many Villa there that day, Merseyside was a  bit of a no go area for a lot of fans.  You really did  have to have your wits about you.  It only came on top once for me there, near the start of  season game not the Brian Little game, but a year or  two later when everyone seemed to melt and I was  getting chased by Everton by Lime Street.  It was just not known for a team to win at Anfield. 

Come the late 70's apart from Man  Utd's cockney's rent a mob (a load of hangers  on) there were not a lot of youngsters travelling off to watch non London teams - the few that did were quite matey, me, Dino of Everton, the twins who were Liverpool fans and one or two others.  We all had a hatred of this blabber mouth Leeds skinhead - a lot of older lads hated him as well.

Such a good time really - yet years  later there was no way  in the world that I would have let my boys and girl enjoy what I had and experienced. 
Quite a day that, Liverpool. I thought we took a few with us and Wolves took loads to Blackpool. We pulled into wrong service station and got in a massive scrap with Wolves and their fireworks. Got chased all over Stanley Park and any Villa fans looking like escaping the scousers were mowed down by police horses. Never did get on the coach home and managed to flag down a brummie registered car that dropped me in Selly Oak. Think there was a chapter in Danny Browns book about this day which then led to Liverpool fans being ambushed in Brum on their next visit.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 10:35:05 PM »
A group of us from Bournemouth and Southampton went to many of the Northern away games with the London Lions, taking advantage of the cheaper train tickets. They liked to leave pretty early from London so for us it was the first train out of Bournemouth. We sometimes missed the last train back to Bournemouth from Waterloo which meant having to wait for what we called the 'Milk Train' which left at 3.30AM or something stupid.  Home games we went via Reading and by the time the train reached Oxford and Banbury the whole buffet carriage was always full of Villa.  It's always great to bump into some of those people today.

Offline martin@ardenley

• Administrator
  • GM : 01.01.2024
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
Contact from Ian Shearer:

Steve Nott showed me some recent correspondence about the Original London Lions club which I founded in 1977.

I guess that the fan posting from Australia is Alex Langley, who was the youngest of the regular travellers.

I was aware of a London Wolves Club which we used to meet on the trains to and from Euston, and there seemed to be enough Villans on the 17.48 or 18.18 back from New Street to form a London Branch, but no one seemed to know if it existed. I wrote to VP to ask about joining, and the reply was "We haven't got one, would you like to start it?"

So I did. The incentive was that with 20, later just 10 travelling the cost of a return ticket was less than half the day return. Pete Sykes ran the membership and I think there were 144 members though not all at one time in the years of its existence. We had good support from Charlie Tabberner at VP and Sue Steve and Abdul, so that away tickets and air travel into Europe were other things we could offer members.

The members only had two things in common, a support of Villa and a willingness to travel on the train together, otherwise they were a mixture of characters who split into several small groups. The hard core of members who travelled on every trip from the beginning, many of whom helped run the club in some capacity were Pete Sykes, Alan Cox, Dave Callaghan, Chris Hensby, Frank Gibson, Nick Becerra and Lionel Rice. Then later Harry Lawrence, Alan
Fisher, Robbo, Steve Nott, John Farrelly, Tim and Sue O'Brien.

There were some characters who should never have been allowed near the train-fare cash, and it was rumoured that their thefts killed the club - but what really did for it was the opening of the M40. It was then possible for 4 or even 2 people to travel as cheaply and even faster from home to VP without coming into London at all. Discount railcards also weakened the group travel differential.

The club was a travel club, not a meeting club for people in London who did not travel, and when it lost that utility I decided to fold it in 1999, and return the subscription money to former members. Several lasting friendships and three marriages resulted from that short-lived club and the badges, I'm told, are collectors' items.

Kind regards
Ian Shearer

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
the badges, I'm told, are collectors' items.

Kind regards
Ian Shearer
[/quote]

We had a bash in a pub in Paddington to celebrate the 25th anniversary of winning the League.  I think a few people from here were there - seem to remember bumping into Dave W. Anyway, at the end of the night, a fella who I'd never met before came in with a cardboard tray full of enamel "London Lions" badges and said "help yourself". Which I did, to 3 badges (one for me and one each for my stinking cockney eel-pie eating kids).  Still got them at home - am I sitting on a fortune?

these

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mP8rAUNVb2CnA36nKVBLFsQ.jpg

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
the badges, I'm told, are collectors' items.

Kind regards
Ian Shearer

We had a bash in a pub in Paddington to celebrate the 25th anniversary of winning the League.  I think a few people from here were there - seem to remember bumping into Dave W. Anyway, at the end of the night, a fella who I'd never met before came in with a cardboard tray full of enamel "London Lions" badges and said "help yourself". Which I did, to 3 badges (one for me and one each for my stinking cockney eel-pie eating kids).  Still got them at home - am I sitting on a fortune?

these

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mP8rAUNVb2CnA36nKVBLFsQ.jpg

[/quote]

The originals (large size) are worth a few quid.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 04:31:57 PM »
The one we got are about the size of a 2p coin

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »
That's the ones. It depends on the maker but they could be well worth picking them up.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
should have a reunion - West Ham at Home was the first ever trip so how about the home league game against the shirt nickers.

Offline OriginalLondonLion

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »
All the badges were one inch diameter. Made in Brum of course. I designed them and ordered them so I can tell you how many there were. The first batch with the white outer ring were 100. The second batch with red outer ring but no stripes were 100. The last batch red ring and stripes on the Villa half were 150. I was the guy with the tray who gave the last of them away at the reunion. 
Ian Shearer

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
All the badges were one inch diameter. Made in Brum of course. I designed them and ordered them so I can tell you how many there were. The first batch with the white outer ring were 100. The second batch with red outer ring but no stripes were 100. The last batch red ring and stripes on the Villa half were 150. I was the guy with the tray who gave the last of them away at the reunion. 
Ian Shearer

Brilliant story about how you formed the original London Lions and, for what it's worth, the badge I have is still worn regularly. I last wore it at the Cup Final......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal