collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: London Lions (the originals)  (Read 23011 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

London Lions (the originals)
« on: July 26, 2015, 07:28:14 PM »
With the family having had to relocate due to my mum's job in the 70's at least I had the comfort of meeting some great people who were the backbone of the founding and running of the London Lions.

Nick, Dave and Clive were my big favourites as a kid (loads of respect) and I met so many people and characters through them.

I started going the game (nowadays would seem mad) as a 13/14 year old, started off with the London games, a big FA cup game and one or two trips on National Express to Brum.  I was there at Blackpool, the West Brom home game over Easter in 75, the rest of the decade spent more time on the Villa than anything else. 

This coincided with the formation of the London Lions mainly by Ian Shearer who was not like the others who I mentioned but seemed to love the Villa nevertheless.  The supporters club would block book travel by train and although the train would always be preferable to the coach, it did have its downside occasionally when we played London teams or Man Utd.  I leave that one to your imagination. 

Remember the all night trips Nottingham Forest in the Cup (we lost), Man City and United in league games mad times. 

Does anyone know anything of the lads who I have mentioned above?

As anyone with any knowledge would know this was the best period possibly in my lifetime for the Villa.

In 1980 I first moved to Australia and mostly lost day to day touch, remember this was pre internet etc.

Would like to hear from others with any of their memories.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
Re: London Lions (the originals)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:43:47 PM »
Made a few trips until a mortgage came into my life accompanied by a wife. The only name I can remember is Frank, possibly Frank of this parish?

Main memory is of too much beer, never being a great drinker and always having to race back to New Street for the train.  Seems a lifetime ago.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:51:06 PM »
Yes  remember Frank (a Brummie) he was a few years older but a good lad

Offline SX150

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:42:51 PM »
Remember catching the train at Coventry and the London Lions would be on it heading to New Street. I new the faces to say hello to but that was it. Remember well the lad from Ilford that was a nut job (meant in a nice way). He was always on the same train but they tended to keep their distance from him. Wouldn't mind knowing if the old London Lions still attend and wonder whatever happened to "Cockney C*nt" as he was affectionately known by a lot of Villa fans.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:53:29 PM »
Coincidentally I spoke to Peter Sykes yesterday, and it got me thinking about the old lads that used to travel from London. I can never remember the names but a few of them used to drink in the Davenport's pub on Holloway Head that later became a lapdancing club. Ian Shearer  - was he the one who was a commodities broker and looked like he should wear a cravat? 

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »
Ian Shearer was the one  who really started it all, to be fair he did a lot of leg work getting things going.  Yes he was a different character to some of  us - remember this was the 70's and he never quite fitted in,  whilst in today's football scene he would possibly be the norm and the rest of us - make your own mind up.

Another fella who did a lot for the club shortly after it being founded was Alan Cox an ex semi professional  player for Hayes.

Already rightly or wrongly drink has been mentioned, and again I would point out that it was the 70's and football was in reality still a working class sport. 

The London Lions enamel badge has  become quite a  collectors item. 

Home matches would normally begin meeting on Euston Station concourse ready for the 11:10 train to Brum.  A lot of us would make our way to the Aston Tavern and  had a favourite spot on the Holte just above the corner section on the right of the Right hand side where the C-Crew would eventually make their home. 

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »
that cockney c--t from Ilford is me ha ha .  I still go the Villa - am now a solicitor living in Liverpool. 

Offline SX150

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
Haha brill. Remember you being a character and often giving me and my mates from Coventry a laugh. A long standing memory is standing in the Holte End when West Ham came in before the game and most of the Holte End ran leaving half a dozen of us stood in bewilderment. This was followed by you in a Cockney accent trying to get the Villa ranks back together. Assuming that was you.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 10:30:10 PM »
that was me and I was only 16 at the time ha ha.

Shows how time affects people nowadays I just would not look to get involved unless some t--at actually had a personal dig at me.

Still love the Villa.  I was in Australia off and on for 20 odd years.  Makes you even fonder of the Villa.  Got to say I prefer the old days and the craic.  Too many plassie fans.  Funny how I cringe at some of our support then I suppose I was just the same when I was there age.

Offline SX150

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:12:42 PM »
Great to hear you are well and still getting up the Villa. I would have been about 16 at the time too. Still get up the Villa myself. Got 4 kids (not kids now) and a 10 year old Grandson that attend games too, all season ticket holders. Amazing where the years have gone but have loads of fond memories from back in the day.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 11:45:05 PM »
My lad supports the Villa, wish I could say the same about the grandkids -Spurs and Man Ure what a  combination.

Defo not the same up the Villa  these days, when I was younger everyone knew each other.  I used to think of people like Foxey, Melv, the Greek as mini gods.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 12:18:53 AM »
Made a few trips until a mortgage came into my life accompanied by a wife. The only name I can remember is Frank, possibly Frank of this parish?

Main memory is of too much beer, never being a great drinker and always having to race back to New Street for the train.  Seems a lifetime ago.
I was a member in the late 70's/early 80's when I was teaching in Croydon. I remember meeting at Euston and getting the cheap group ticket. Ian who, as WW says, was a bit different from the rest, was always there. Was he from Camberley? I had my enamel badges until fairly recently, when I passed them on to Jon Follows.
I also remember going to the Aston Tavern with them. Most of them were from the south-east but, identifying with Villa, they thought they had to order mild - dreadful drink - and I was the only one drinking bitter.
The London Lions arranged a photo session with the European Cup in 1982, so I have a picture of myself with the trophy taken by the great Terry Weir.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:22:37 AM by frank »

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 12:21:53 AM »
Before he  got heavily  into Villa and the London Lions Ian Shearer actually had two season tickets one for West Ham and one  for the Villa, how weird is that.

He also cold shouldered after an incident late at night in Newcastle - in the 70's a very dodgy gaff.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 12:44:54 AM »
Talking of West Ham, Pete (I think) once told me of one London Lion who lived in those flats overlooking Upton Park. They didn't know his name or his exact address, but he never missed a match and he'd meet the rest of them at Euston, travel up although not spend any time with them, then when he got off the train back at Euston he'd be away without saying a word. He never got in touch to book tickets or make arrangements, they always put him on the train ticket because they knew he'd be there, until one day he wasn't and none of them saw or heard from him ever again.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:52:03 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 05:21:23 AM »
No who you are talking about Dave, cant remember his name, we use to call him the Hammer, short guy and Witton you aint Duncan are you??

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal