collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Idrissa Gueye - now gone  (Read 163029 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Idrissa Gueye - now signed
« Reply #840 on: July 27, 2016, 07:32:53 AM »
Now now Percy, be reasonable! If the player has a clause, we can't control the transfer.

I know, but it doesn't mean we welcome the interest. Do you think we welcomed the interest in Benteke or Delph?

Good point Percy, but the tweet just seems a tad naive if there is a clause.
Maybe - in an attempt at reverse psychology - Wyness has deliberately drawing attention to the sale of Gana because no one has yet met the buy-out clause value ...

... Just tryin to make sense of this!

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #841 on: July 27, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »
Tone has said the clause has been met, by several clubs. Down to Gana, Idrissa and Gueye now.
I'm not sure he's even as good as Reo-Coker.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:50:45 AM by TheMalandro »

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #842 on: July 27, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »
If we had a half decent side he wouldn't have looked as good.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #843 on: July 27, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
If we had a half decent side he wouldn't have looked as good.
I think he'll do very well in a decent side and it's a shame to lose him.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #844 on: July 27, 2016, 09:24:54 AM »
I think Gregg Evans and co should fall on their pens if this clause is a figment of their imaginations, strange tweet from Wyness if the clause does exist.

I'd like Gregg Evans to fall on his pen regardless.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #845 on: July 27, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »
Tone has said the clause has been met, by several clubs. Down to Gana, Idrissa and Gueye now.

Great, let the bidding war commence  ;) **

(** do I really need the winking emoticon thingy here or are we all up to speed now with the 2016 version of "why didn't Barry take the penalty"?)

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #846 on: July 27, 2016, 09:33:50 AM »
Seems strange Xia bragged about how much money we were going to spend and yet he's operating a sell to buy policy......

Shock horror you arrive with negativity. We've bought players without selling any so far, but first player we sell and it's the sell to buy line. Were you expecting to keep the whole squad this year? Oh and it's an activated release clause.

The bottom line is that our squad is still far from good enough with just over a week before the season starts.  Lerner and even Ellis would be getting it in the neck with this amount of inaction.

I dont trust Xia at all.  If the money was there, you would strengthen first and sell at the same time.

I'm afraid the linear, unidirectional nature of time as we experience it makes this impossible. You can't have one event happen first and another one at the same time.

The first event being, well first, dictates that a further event must occur second.

It would be typical of us not to be exploring the possibilities of pan-dimensional transfer activity. I bet Newcastle do.

West Brom no doubt led the way.

Whilst it is fun to take the piss out of LTA's constant negativity, I think it's fair enough to be dissapointed in our activity to date.  IF Tony has the wealth we hoped then the absolute priority would surely have been to build a team capable of promotion, regardless of squad size.  And of course you can try to shift players whilst you are doing so.

I totally understand the issue of having too many players and associated financial difficulties, I had just hoped that Tony would have broad enough shoulders to carry the surplus costs if absolutely necessary.  He clearly hasn't, which is fair enough.  But being dissapointed that this close to the season starting we have, on the face of it, a pretty shit squad seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable emotion.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #847 on: July 27, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
It's not just finances though Chris.  Having non-contributing players, a bomb squad, has a negative impact on the whole club; exhausting the coaches' time, setting a low bar for commitment in training, moaning to younger/impressionable players etc, basically parasites.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #848 on: July 27, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
I wish they would Just get the ones gone who are going, nobody has pulled up any trees from last season and this lad flattered to deceive after a promising start.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #849 on: July 27, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »
It's not just finances though Chris.  Having non-contributing players, a bomb squad, has a negative impact on the whole club; exhausting the coaches' time, setting a low bar for commitment in training, moaning to younger/impressionable players etc, basically parasites.
I appreciate the bomb squad isn't a great idea.  But IF you can afford it then I'm sure it's workable without too much disruption to the main squad.  The lesser of two evils - having a shit squad incapable of promotion or having a decent squad but oversized and carrying a few surplus players?  I know which I would choose, but again I appreciate this pre-supposes you have the finances to carry it off - which I had hoped Tony would have. 

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #850 on: July 27, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
I think we should remember the transfer window doesn't end until 31st August. I'm expecting 3 more players to walk through the door, and more players to leave. Sure we'd like all of this to happen before the first league game, but it rarely does, not for any team. That's why there is usually a mad scramble on the last day of the window.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #851 on: July 27, 2016, 10:11:28 AM »

Great, let the bidding war commence  ;) **

(** do I really need the winking emoticon thingy here or are we all up to speed now with the 2016 version of "why didn't Barry take the penalty"?)

I think it's a well established H&V trope. Just lay it out there and let the n00bs show themselves up.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #852 on: July 27, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »
*wink*

Offline lukey27

« Reply #853 on: July 27, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
There's a lot of journalists and bloggers saying that Gana's Stats are comparable to Kante last season. For me, this is where stats are utterly misleading. Positionally the two players are in a completely different league. Kante knew when to press and when to sit and when breaking play his distribution was exceptional.

Gana / Gueye's distribution bordered on dreadful, the amount of times he gave it away and took up poor areas on the pitch I don't think it's as simple as "he was in a poor team". I think sitting in front of the back four he will do a job there but if they think they're getting a more mobile and younger Gareth Barry they might be a tad disappointed.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #854 on: July 27, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »
I wouldn't be sad to see him go, I think he's OK nothing more, I was at Telford in the friemdly he was hopeless, couldn't even control the ball

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal