collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Idrissa Gueye - now gone  (Read 163197 times)

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
Re: Idrissa Gueye - now signed
« Reply #735 on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »
Thierry Henry was bigging him up a few days ago, along with Kante, when talking about the players Arsenal used to sign.

They can have him!

I think he would be a decent player in a decent team

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #736 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »
Thierry Henry was bigging him up a few days ago, along with Kante, when talking about the players Arsenal used to sign.

They can have him!

Everyone looks better in a team of good players. I particularly don't like how easily he gives up in games, almost petulantly at times. That's my biggest issue with him.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #737 on: April 27, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »
They all give up to be fair

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #738 on: April 27, 2016, 11:06:53 AM »

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #739 on: April 27, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »

That's the amazing thing. Mid to low-end teams tend to pick over the bones of those that are relegated. We have done it ourselves. Normally there is only 1 or 2 players worth a look. We get relegated with most likely only three wins to our name but there are 5 or 6 players that are easily good enough for mid table PL side - or better.

Seriously, how the fuck did we manage to be so bad?

That's the whole point though isn't it.  This season we've had 5 or 6 players (at the absolute maximum) who'd get into a mid table side.  None would get into a top 8 side.  The rest, either through attitude or ability aren't even good enough for the championship.

Not really, no. The point  I was making was that other teams have had far worse squad sheets than us yet we are the ones ending the season with only 3 victories. It was more a rhetorical question. It really takes some doing to go through a season, win only three games and still end up with 5 or 6 players that other teams will want.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #740 on: April 27, 2016, 10:08:23 PM »
Having a handful of players who might reach the heights of mediocrity just confirms that we had the worst team/squad.

We didn't have an Allardyce or Pullis who could make a silk purse out of sows ear and we got deservedly relgated. 

It really is that simple.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #741 on: April 27, 2016, 11:06:48 PM »

They can have him!

He reminds me of NRC. Decent at reading and breaking up play, pacey but then it all falls apart when he gets in final third, his shooting is utter woeful.

NRC was mainly a squad player in the relatively glory days under MON where he bizzarely played anywhere but central midfield after the first season so think Gana is of that standard.

He's someone we could probably still get decent money for, 5-6m so I'd let him go.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #742 on: April 27, 2016, 11:08:17 PM »
Let him go for 5 or 6m and then what, though?

Where does that money go, what does it get us?

There's no way we can be flogging all of our players, we are going to have to keep some of them. Gueye is easily of the quality we will need to get out of this league. He's precisely the sort we should be holding on to. There's no point flogging the likes of him and using some of the cash to buy Championship dross just because that's where we are. Unless we fancy being the new Forest or Leeds, we are going to need as many players who are close to the best in their position in that league as we can get, otherwise we might as well just give up even trying.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #743 on: April 27, 2016, 11:10:40 PM »
I agree. Unless it is for more than we paid, I would not let any of the "foreign lot" go depending of course on their release clauses.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #744 on: April 27, 2016, 11:14:48 PM »
Getting back quickly means having better players than almost anyone else.

I personally would not piss on most of this bunch of ****** if they were on fire, and I have the lowest possible opinion of them after this season, but some of them are easily - easily - good enough to get us out of that league.

The trick is to hang on to as many of the ones we want as we can, whilst shipping out as many of those we do not as we can.

That's how Newcastle bounced back.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #745 on: April 27, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »

There's no way we can be flogging all of our players, we are going to have to keep some of them. Gueye is easily of the quality we will need to get out of this league. He's precisely the sort we should be holding on to. There's no point flogging the likes of him and using some of the cash to buy Championship dross just because that's where we are. Unless we fancy being the new Forest or Leeds, we are going to need as many players who are close to the best in their position in that league as we can get, otherwise we might as well just give up even trying.

Well we don't know what the budget is going to be, obviously with new owners we're in a better position to keep some of the better players as suddenly the club is a more positive place to be and we can look upwards again.

I never said get rid of them all, I'd keep Okore (looks like he's off), Ayew (as his quality would make a difference down there), Gestede (just for his record at Blackburn), Adama and Amavi. I'd also get Baker and Gardner back, particularly Gardner as he's been playing week in week out for Forest and I think he could do just as good a job as Westwood who I'd move on.

You have to remember Lerner has on average been giving out 20m net budgets for the last 3-4 years so with him wanting out what makes you think he's going to give a good transfer budget to a manager, if anything it would be cut to about 10m net so that's why we have to bring some money in.

It's inevitable anyway, when a team goes down it sells players, the key is to sell a couple and then re-invest. Hull sold James Chester for about 8m to WBA, keep most of their other main players and re-invested.

Let's remember this isn't the premier league anymore. You don't need to spend 50m to be top half (or bottom as the case may be). You can be in the top 6 or close to it (SHA) by barely spending anything, Brighton are up there with a good number of free transfers and loans. Probably why we're looking at a few managers with that sort of experience I'd say....

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #746 on: April 27, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »
I agree. Unless it is for more than we paid, I would not let any of the "foreign lot" go depending of course on their release clauses.

I agree, but if there is no takeover then they are the only ones we are likely to get any money for.  I would like to see Gana and Ayew stay, but they are the only two likely to attract any real interest.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #747 on: April 27, 2016, 11:20:32 PM »

Well we don't know what the budget is going to be, obviously with new owners we're in a better position to keep some of the better players as suddenly the club is a more positive place to be and we can look upwards again.

I never said get rid of them all, I'd keep Okore (looks like he's off), Ayew (as his quality would make a difference down there), Gestede (just for his record at Blackburn), Adama and Amavi. I'd also get Baker and Gardner back, particularly Gardner as he's been playing week in week out for Forest and I think he could do just as good a job as Westwood who I'd move on.

You have to remember Lerner has on average been giving out 20m net budgets for the last 3-4 years so with him wanting out what makes you think he's going to give a good transfer budget to a manager, if anything it would be cut to about 10m net so that's why we have to bring some money in.

It's inevitable anyway, when a team goes down it sells players, the key is to sell a couple and then re-invest. Hull sold James Chester for about 8m to WBA, keep most of their other main players and re-invested.

Let's remember this isn't the premier league anymore. You don't need to spend 50m to be top half (or bottom as the case may be). You can be in the top 6 or close to it (SHA) by barely spending anything, Brighton are up there with a good number of free transfers and loans. Probably why we're looking at a few managers with that sort of experience I'd say....

I can't see the logic whereby you'd keep Okore (arsey, made of glass, contributed next to nothing) but move Gueye (who has probably been our best player and managed to look like he at least cared) on.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #748 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »
Is now the time for the definitive who will you keep/ let go/ buy if you were the new man and your budget is £10m before sales?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #749 on: April 27, 2016, 11:26:59 PM »
You are right, he has been our best player, or one of them. He is still a member of a shit team mind. We need to get shot, the losing mentality of all of the regulars would be too much to carry.

I like him but I'd still sell, even at a small loss.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal