collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Idrissa Gueye - now gone  (Read 162981 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Idrissa Gueye - now signed
« Reply #600 on: September 08, 2015, 08:21:31 AM »
That would be really bad news.

Offline KRS

« Reply #601 on: September 08, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »
I hope he is fit - he's walking normally apparently

But if not we've got more cover now. Could enable us to play adama, grealish and Sinclair.
You can play those 3 ahead of Gueye and Sanchez/Westwood anyway with Gestede/Kozak/Ayew up front.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #602 on: September 08, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »
I hope he is fit - he's walking normally apparently

But if not we've got more cover now. Could enable us to play adama, grealish and Sinclair.
You can play those 3 ahead of Gueye and Sanchez/Westwood anyway with Gestede/Kozak/Ayew up front.

It ultimately depends on whether Sanchez (or Veretout, once he comes along) can play in a midfield two or not. He's looked more comfortable playing in a midfield three so far at Villa, because I think the extra midfielder helps him as another passing option and gives him freedom to be more aggressive defensively (which is where his strength lies) without having to worry about what's going on elsewhere.

Offline KRS

« Reply #603 on: September 08, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »
Sanchez and Westwood would be fine as a midfield pair in front of the back four...in fact I'd be more worried about Westwood than Sanchez.

Offline KRS

« Reply #604 on: September 08, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »
Any injury news update on Gueye?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #605 on: September 08, 2015, 09:56:13 PM »
How longs he out for ?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #606 on: September 08, 2015, 10:12:33 PM »
He seems to have been on the bench tonight. If that's right it can't be that bad

No point taking a risk though.

I take the point on Sanchez being better playing the Hoover with a runner either side. But surely he and Westwood could do an effective double pivot? Not much energy perhaps.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #607 on: September 08, 2015, 10:12:50 PM »
Somebody tweeted he was on the bench for Senegal today. Hopefully that's not bulltwit.

Just seen Matt's post above. We must follow the same peeps.

Offline KRS

« Reply #608 on: September 08, 2015, 10:18:38 PM »
I take the point on Sanchez being better playing the Hoover with a runner either side. But surely he and Westwood could do an effective double pivot? Not much energy perhaps.
When we've got Traore, Grealish and Sinclair running at the opposition, plus our centre forward for the opposition defence to be aware of, I dont think the midfield pair will need to push forward much. I have a feeling TS will prefer this flexible rotating 442 though and they seem to interchange formations and positions on whether we're in possession or not.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #609 on: September 08, 2015, 10:37:53 PM »
The pairing as anchor needs to be Gana and Sanchez, westwood is a back up and league cup sort of guy

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #610 on: September 09, 2015, 02:38:07 PM »
The pairing as anchor needs to be Gana and Sanchez, westwood is a back up and league cup sort of guy

I may be remembering this incorrectly and if I am I apologise, but weren't you slating Sanchez towards the end of the season saying he was too slow and he made too many fundamental errors?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #611 on: September 09, 2015, 03:37:16 PM »

I may be remembering this incorrectly and if I am I apologise, but weren't you slating Sanchez towards the end of the season saying he was too slow and he made too many fundamental errors?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #612 on: September 09, 2015, 04:11:01 PM »
Don't be distracting silhill he's still wading through my posts in an attempt to prove I spend my time 'slaughtering the daytrippers at Man United'.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #613 on: September 09, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »
Just read on news-now that he's picked up a hamstring injury training with Senegal. Hop this is wrong😞

Balls!

No, hamstring.

I think I'd prefer "a hammy" to testicular torsion, and I don't mean that in a Pet Shot Boys Urban Myth sort of way, before you ask.

Offline KRS

« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:40 PM »
A couple of almost complimentary reports from BM:

Aston Villa injury scare: Idrissa Gana injured on international duty
BY STEVE WOLLASTON

Aston Villa midfielder Idrissa Gana has picked up a hamstring injury on international duty with Senegal.

The new Villa signing was due to play for Senegal against South Africa but he missed the team's final training session after picking up an injury to his hamstring during the 2-0 African Cup of Nations qualifier win over Namibia.

AfricanFoootball.com reports that Gana will go for a scan this morning to determine the extent of the injury.

Gana has admirably filled the sizeable boots of Fabian Delph since he arrived from Ligue 1 side Lille.

Alongside Ashley Westwood, Carlos Sanchez and Jordan Veretout, there's plenty of options for Tim Sherwood in Villa's midfield.

Yet Gana's tough tackling approach, coupled with his passing qualities and ability to carry the ball sees him on of the top flight's stand-out additions.

The Senegalese international has completed 29 tackles, while he also averages 1.5 shots per game, 1.5 key passes per game and two successful dribbles per game.

Idrissa Gana is injured: Gregg Evans considers how will Aston Villa cope if the midfielder is ruled out of the Leicester trip
BY GREGG EVANS

The bad news is Gana has picked up a hamstring problem, the good news is Villa have midfield alternatives.

Aston Villa’s new-look midfield may need another shake-up this weekend as Idrissa Gana continues to struggle with a hamstring injury picked up on international duty.

The 25-year-old, signed for £9million from Lille this summer, has been the stand-out performer in the middle of the park with his high-energy, all-action displays.

Gana was tasked with replacing former captain Fabian Delph ,who left for Manchester City this summer, and already he’s made great strides to fill the England man’s big boots.

Although he isn’t the vocal leader that Delph once was, he has showed signs that he can drive the team forward, create chances, and hopefully, in time, chip in with some much-needed strikes from midfield.

Tonight he will sit out of Senegal’s clash with South Africa and is also a doubt for Villa's trip to Leicester City on Sunday.

The news is an obvious blow for Tim Sherwood who had just started to get his midfield in good shape.

Acting as the ‘hoover’ in the team, Carlos Sanchez was doing a fine job breaking up play and dragging opposing midfielders out of their deep-lying positions.

That allowed Gana, Ashley Westwood and the wide players to rotate their runs and create attacks from all areas on the pitch.

Sherwood wants more goals from his midfielders this term and reckons they will have plenty of space with Sanchez acting as the sitter.

The Villa boss many have to alter his line-up this weekend, though, if Gana doesn’t make it, and that shouldn’t necessarily bring too many problems.

Villa recruited heavily this summer.

Twelve players arrived and now there might be a chance for Jordan Veretout or Carles Gil to come in from the start.

Veretout bagged or created 46-percent of Nantes' league goals last term but will need time to settle into the new surroundings.

Gil, who was cast aside by Sherwood last season, will ‘play a lot of football’ this time around, according to the boss, and could be seen as a brave replacement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal