collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Idrissa Gueye - now gone  (Read 162986 times)

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
Re: Idrissa Gueye - now signed
« Reply #480 on: July 20, 2015, 09:13:19 AM »
http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/idrissa-gueye-i-needed-a-change-of-scenery/

In an exclusive interview given to L’Équipe, Aston Villa’s new midfielder Idrissa Gueye discussed his decision to join the Premier League outfit.

Why did you choose Aston Villa?

Things flowed immediately with the coach. I saw his game style and where he was counting on putting me (on the right hand side of midfield in a 4-3-3 formation). He had watched a lot of my matches. That gave me confidence. He told me super nice things and that pushed me to make this decision. I also wanted to sign for a club quickly so that I could prepare with my new club.

What happened with Marseille?

My decision was always directed towards England. I never hid that when I spoke with them (Marseille). I say this without degrading Marseille, which is a big club and which could have also been a good springboard. I needed a change of scenery. The most important thing was to get my feet in England for my progression and to look to play for great clubs in the future. This is a league that should suit me perfectly. The box to box, that is my style. I think I will enjoy myself.

Aston Villa finished only 17th last year. Southampton, who finished 7th, were also supposedly interested in you…

There were a few clubs but I wasn’t necessarily their priority. At Southampton, I was number three (on their shortlist) and they never made an offer. Should I have taken the risk of waiting and then no longer having the chance to make my own decision? At Aston Villa, I felt good. They should me their desire to have me. I also spoke with some guys like Didier (Drogba), Momo Diamé and Diomansy Kamara who too me to go. It is a nice challenge and I am ready to face up to it. And even if the team has had difficult seasons, they remain a big club.

Several years ago, someone from Senegal would have chosen Marseille over a foreign club, is that not correct?

Yes. Last year, if they had called me, I would have gone without hesitation. But here, I had the choice and I was one year more experienced. Lille? It will always be the club of my heart. If I am here, it is thanks to them and Diambars (his youth academy in Senegal).

Have you looked at photos of your future teammates in order to know who they are for when you arrive?

Yes, it is important (he laughs). I already ran into Joe Cole over there. He gave me his phone number and says he will show me the good places. The coach already came to him about my arrival. Truly, I am sure that I am going to have a great time. And also, my daughter speaks English: that’s great too!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #481 on: July 20, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
I wonder how literally to take the comments on 433 and his position

Presumably delph was lined up to be the left of the three. Really not sure who could play that unless he thinks Gil could. That sounds lightweight to me.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #482 on: July 20, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
I wonder how literally to take the comments on 433 and his position

Presumably delph was lined up to be the left of the three. Really not sure who could play that unless he thinks Gil could. That sounds lightweight to me.
Yeah, interesting comments.

I guess that means Sanchez is first choice at the back of the 3?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #483 on: July 20, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
I'd guess Westwood. But can't see who plays left really, at the moment. Gardner could play there but that's a leap of faith. Gil or grealish surely need more protection behind them.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #484 on: July 20, 2015, 11:34:42 AM »
Interesting spin by ESPN or just making the most of the 'Villa is a joke bandwagon?'

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2528701/aston-villa-signing-idrissa-gueye-wants-future-big-club-move?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #485 on: July 20, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »
Interesting spin by ESPN or just making the most of the 'Villa is a joke bandwagon?'

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2528701/aston-villa-signing-idrissa-gueye-wants-future-big-club-move?

There isn't a bandwagon, except amongst our own supporters.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #486 on: July 20, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »
He isn't saying anything we didn't expect to hear to be honest,we've been a stepping stone club for the best part of 15 years.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #487 on: July 20, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
He isn't saying anything we didn't expect to hear to be honest,we've been a stepping stone club for the best part of 15 years.

To be fair, Liverpool are a stepping stone nowadays. You could argue that Man Utd are a stepping stone to Real Madrid.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #488 on: July 20, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Yes but wouldn't it be nice if he just said " its great to have signed for Villa and I'm looking forward to playing in the Premier League".

Not too much to ask is it. They're dumb aren't they.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #489 on: July 20, 2015, 12:00:47 PM »
Untilvwe start competing near the top end then any player worth their salt will consider us a stepping stone.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #490 on: July 20, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »
Yes but wouldn't it be nice if he just said " its great to have signed for Villa and I'm looking forward to playing in the Premier League".

Just about to say same.

Don't say it, just think it you fuckers!

At least they need to perform to get their move. That's why you don't want to sign them when they are 31 and don't give a shit.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #491 on: July 20, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »

I would imagine his English is better than most of our Senegalese but there is still the opportunity for language to be misinterpreted or lost in translation.

Plus, what would people like him to say?  Something like this 'I love this club, this is my club......'

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #492 on: July 20, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
It is quite simple really.  If we show a modicum of ambition going forward - eg, we strive to once again compete at the top end of the league, with serious focus on cup competitions and attempt to get into Europe then players won't want to leave and more will want to sign.  If we don't, then they won't.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #493 on: July 20, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »
at least any player who signs for us as a 'stepping stone' has got some ambition.

some of the crap in the current squad seemingly have none at all.

Offline LTA

« Reply #494 on: July 20, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
Whether it was lost in translation or not, it isn't what you want to hear from a new signing.

Yet another pr disaster.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal