collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Micah Richards - Released  (Read 460283 times)

Offline Cliftonville Villlain

Re: Micah Richards - Released
« Reply #2430 on: September 27, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
His self-delusion is stratospheric. It's as if he actually believes this shit. The only player I have ever seen sulk on a pitch. And dont get me started on Bad Santa. Moron doesn't cover it. Stealing 50k a week does.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2431 on: September 27, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »
The blame is solely with the club and people that thought signing a player they couldn't insure to a lengthy and expensive contract was a good idea.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2432 on: September 27, 2019, 04:56:55 PM »
The blame is solely with the club and people that thought signing a player they couldn't insure to a lengthy and expensive contract was a good idea.

110%

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2433 on: September 27, 2019, 09:04:44 PM »
Haunted by the ghost of Micah Richards

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49845993

::)

Very interesting article.

I've heard before that it is awful for footballers who are out injured long-term because they can effectively get isolated from the rest of the team and as people who spend their lives in a tight group this can be really tough on them.

I don't have a problem with Micah Richards.  I liked him as a player, I liked how when he had the ball in defence and nobody was moving or wanted it from him he would just take it up the field himself, big and powerful.  I've no doubt that had he been able to continue playing he could have been a Villa hero.

Because he is a footballer, and because we love the club, we hold him to a higher standard.  If anyone here has ever been ill or injured and worried about whether or not they will be able to carry on doing their job then you'll know how horrible those thoughts are and how it can often be easier to hide what you are going through rather than facing it and getting help.  It's almost like if nobody tells you the bad news then it isn't going to be true.  I don't think he's done anything that the average person wouldn't do, it's human nature.

As for paying his wages and keeping him on the books, well that's Villa's failing pure and simple.  Strong management would have been sitting down with him to find a resolution.  They didn't and it enabled him to keep the self-delusion going that he was still a professional footballer.  How many of us would give up that dream if no-one was pushing us to face reality?

I don't think he could have been a "Villa legend" . I think he was an above average player in his prime, who had such pace he could easily cover for most mistakes caused by his positional sense. When the injuries piled up and his pace went, he was never the same player.

I don't disagree with anything else you've said, though. I never really got the hatred that some have for him on here. He wanted to play, but couldn't because he was injured. He didn't walk away from a massive contract, nor would I have. I've never refused to accept sick pay.

I've no ill will against him at all, and the more people are willing to talk about issues like loneliness and isolation, the better clubs will get at dealing with said problems.

It wasn't his fault we were shit.

Good luck to him.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #2434 on: September 28, 2019, 11:13:52 AM »
Well said.
It certainly smells like had someone been up front with him he might have been more willing to cut his losses, though as others said why should he.

Also agreed re: the mental health* angle, with a work/lived experience hat on I think he spoke thoughtfully & respectfully acknowledging that there are others had it far worse, but he’s insightful around his own self deception that went unchallenged by the club.

The bad Santa stuff was appalling, again club failure around releasing it and likely setting it up.

It doesn’t mean he didn’t screw up in places/wasn’t terrible signing for the club, but I’m appreciating at least a bit more unpacking of this diasterous story.

Let’s hope as said, never again an uninsurable long expensive deal, what a freebie eh?

*mental health does not mean necessarily ill health
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 11:21:03 AM by purpletrousers »

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #2435 on: September 28, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »
Why were the fans not told the truth from the start? There would not have been the hatred that the fans felt because they did not know the full facts.
I don't really blame the player for any of this now that I know the truth (unless it is yet another bit of fake news). The club has to take all of the blame

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #2436 on: October 05, 2019, 02:09:47 PM »
I heard Micah Richards pretending to be a pundit on 5Live earlier. Dim as a ten watt bulb and clearly being groomed as the go-to man for when Jenas is off and the bleeding obvious is required.

Online danno

« Reply #2437 on: October 05, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
I heard Micah Richards pretending to be a pundit on 5Live earlier. Dim as a ten watt bulb and clearly being groomed as the go-to man for when Jenas is off and the bleeding obvious is required.

Is he worse than Joleon "yeah of course" Lescott ?

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #2438 on: October 05, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »

Yes, I'd say he's a serious rival. He seemed to pause at the start of each answer as his brain searched frantically for the obvious reply, but I'm sure with experience he'll iron that out and he'll be straight in there with effortlessly pointless guff.

Online danno

« Reply #2439 on: October 05, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »

Yes, I'd say he's a serious rival. He seemed to pause at the start of each answer as his brain searched frantically for the obvious reply, but I'm sure with experience he'll iron that out and he'll be straight in there with effortlessly pointless guff.

Savage is quite good at live commentaries, he often can't think of anything to say quick enough so stays silent. Probably why they've got him answering the phones.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #2440 on: January 10, 2020, 08:15:01 PM »

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #2441 on: January 10, 2020, 09:27:37 PM »
I got as far as Sutton's intro and stopped. They're a pair of dicks.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2442 on: January 10, 2020, 09:35:35 PM »
The biggest problem I have with that article is the fact that he tries to throw blame at Garde. As a professional sportsman you have to know your own body better than that. If you don't think you're able to do the training the manager is suggesting you have to back out of it. It might mean you don't get into the team but you don't end your career. Pull out of the run, see the club doctor and get him and the manager to talk to you about the options.

You see too many players who struggle with injuries who blame other people for them but they have to accept responsibility as well. Kodjia is another example of a player who tried to do something he shouldn't have and has damaged his career as a result.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2443 on: January 10, 2020, 09:36:21 PM »
Warning.... Please only watch if you have a tv that needs replacing.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2444 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:05 PM »
Can't be bothered listening to anything that Bluenose twunt has to say.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal