collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post-Match Thread  (Read 48039 times)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post-Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »
The Yanited fans seem most concerned about why only 3 minutes was added on. Utter twats.
Because that's only how long Young stayed down for?
;-)

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
Only saw bits of the second half, but Lowton committed a cardinal sin for Falcao's goal.  Not only did he get turned inside out by Young, but turned his back on him which is where he let Young get past him as he never recovered position.

Hutton would have flattened Ash before he had a chance to get the cross in.

Offline nigel

« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
@MatKendrick: Paul Lambert: Ashley Young told Villa he fouled red-carded Gabby Agbonlahor - not vice versa http://t.co/FSh2f6v08v http://t.co/ZLVDgEcH0H

Online UK Redsox

« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »
Yet again Okore was top,top drawer.
We really have a gem there and need to remember he has barely reached double figures in playing at this level.
Absolutely superb.

With all the talk of another club making an offer for Vlaar, I'm more worried about a bid coming in for Okore.

Online UK Redsox

« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
I still don't like all this rolling the ball out to defenders stood just off the goal line. It allows the opposition to defend high up the pitch.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »
@MatKendrick: Paul Lambert: Ashley Young told Villa he fouled red-carded Gabby Agbonlahor - not vice versa http://t.co/FSh2f6v08v http://t.co/ZLVDgEcH0H

It's well worth an appeal. I believe we appealed Benteke's red but that was never going to be overturned really.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2014, 08:28:04 PM »
I still don't like all this rolling the ball out to defenders stood just off the goal line. It allows the opposition to defend high up the pitch.

Surely it's better than booting it up the pitch and giving it away again?!!

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
Yet again Okore was top,top drawer.
We really have a gem there and need to remember he has barely reached double figures in playing at this level.
Absolutely superb.

With all the talk of another club making an offer for Vlaar, I'm more worried about a bid coming in for Okore.

Okore has certainly hit the ground running since Lambert introduced him. Lets hope he keeps it up.

Online UK Redsox

« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »

When the challenge went in, I yelled out "he's gotta go for that". However, by "he", I meant Ash. I could believe it when the Ref showed the red card to Ganby instead.

Given Ash's comments and the fact that it was a bloody stupid decision anyway, surely the card will be rescinded on appeal.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »
I watched the full 90 minutes today and it's only after reading some of the post-match stuff just now that I realised Darren Fletcher played.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
Seriously? Did he?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »
I was at the game and I cannot believe Mata was on the pitch either.

Online danno

« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2014, 08:37:07 PM »
The only thing I remember Fletcher doing was conceding a free kick in the first half.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2014, 08:37:13 PM »
Lambert got the tactics and the substitutions right. Let's give him some credit. He's got lots of faults but the claim so many make that he's incompetent tactically is bollocks

Exactly what were his tactics. Counter attacking? The only real credit Lambert deserves is he had every single player up for today and they collectively put a massive shift in. Finally against Man Utd our players looked like men instead of boys but I hardly think he deserves any medals for the team trying to pass the ball.

It's comments like this that drive me crazy.

He matched up against United's 352. It worked
this enabled gabby and BENTEKE to get lots of space down the sides of their back three
They struggled to create chances despite a set of attacking players that would cost about £200m to buy
We broke on them frequently and in the first half with better passing from gabby we'd have had a couple more great chances to score
We had a man sent off and were massively under the cosh. Lambert changed to a back four and from then on we had more of the play and better chances
He brought on bacuna who almost scored and almost set up a late winner
Weimann struggled a bit but his breaking from midfield against a United midfield that wasn't set up to hold was a recurrent threat
Our new found willingness to pass the ball with more composure meant we took the pressure off us at key points in the first and second half

Apart from that, nah his tactics didn't work at all
Give the guy a break when he deserves it

Tactics go beyond stopping the opposition playing, Matt. As frustrating as may be for you to comprehend, we were on the back foot for a large part of the game, we had little idea what to do when we entered their half or even how to get there but through mainly true grit and some great individual performances (Guzan, Jores, Delph and Sanchez) we got a deserved point.

3-5-2? I think we've already cleared that one up.

I thought it was Man Utd's tactics to allow Benteke and Gabby out to the wide positions, you know, out of harm's reach. If it was as you say Lambert's it may some way to explaining why we've one of the poorest goalscoring stats in all leagues. I really hope you're wrong.

I could go on but I'm reluctant to bang my head against a wall. The only thing I will add, let's give Lambert the credit for this one as it's close to Christmas, today was the first time I was comfortable entering the last five minutes we weren't going to concede a late goal. Even during the 2nd half I was relatively confident that even if Man Utd equalised, we could still go on and score again. That says as much about our growing confidence and technically better players around (Benteke, Jores and Sanchez) as it does about how Van Gaal's piss poor attempts of making a decent side with the talent he has available.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
Great effort by the players. Deserved point certainly and we were the team pushing on for the win late on. As much as we give Lambert stick for his lack of action on the sideline, the tactical shift to four at the back made us a lot more solid while Bacuna was very good when he came on. Nzogbia less so. Would like to see Bacuna play a lot more, would be ideally suited to the right of our midfield three next to Sanchez and Delph. Red was certainly harsh but don't understand the criticism of Young as he took a fair bang. Booing him was ridiculous too, one of the best attacking players at the club I've seen at the club in the 20 years I've supported the Villa.

United look a mess of a side to be honest, Young was their best player by a mile today. Van Gaal moving him off Lowton was baffling. Not sure what has happened Antonio Valencia over the last few years but he looked a pub player. Fletcher too is finished while Rooney doesn't hurt sides when he plays deep and starts the Hollywood passes.
Was very happy with our three centre backs. Sanchez and Delph were much better in the second half while Benteke was outstanding. Brilliant goal from the big man and the United centre backs were scared stiff of him.

Guzan 7, Lowton 3, Okore 8, Vlaar 7, Clark 7, cissokho 5, Sanchez 6, Delph 7, Weimann 5, Gabby 5, Benteke 8. Bacuna 7, Nzogbia 5

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal