collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Sack Manager Ads  (Read 74280 times)

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: Moyes sacked? Let's get him in...
« Reply #330 on: April 23, 2014, 05:37:54 PM »
You're right Lee, and I was alluding to that earlier. It took Moyes 10 years to build that and I don't know that he would have the time to do that again or indeed the energy at another club. Had he come to us post MON, I think we'd be 4 years into that process and we'd be taking shape nicely as a solid if unspectacular club. But 4 years since MON, I don't think any Villa fan has the appetite for that style of football or indeed that ground zero style rebuilding project. The first thing many including myself want to see is a better brand of football even if that came with some short term pain in terms of results. That's what Martinez might have brought had he decided to join us from Wigan. Moyes needs a break from management. We need a break from his style of football.

I think you're absolutely right that no-one has the appetite for a ground-zero rebuilding project. Assuming no mega-bucks takeover, what we need is for either Lambert or A.N. Other to get more out of what have now and to add three or four players of £8-10m type quality at the top end of the squad.

That's why I think Moyes would be good for this squad. I think he could come in and get better results with the squad we've got now plus a couple of carefully chosen new additions, and wouldn't want to completely start again.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:46:53 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »
This squad could easily have finished in the top half of the table, with the right coaching and proper motivation. Newcastle look likely to be in the top ten and their results have been ludicrously bad since the new year.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #332 on: April 23, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
Once we have benteke Okore nzogbia and Kozak back, add a couple of astute loans and a couple of quality £8m ish signings and we are a top 10 side if they all stay fit.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
This squad could easily have finished in the top half of the table, with the right coaching and proper motivation. Newcastle look likely to be in the top ten and their results have been ludicrously bad since the new year.

My thoughts exactly, Damon. Right now we're not a midtable side, we're a bottom half side playing like a relegation side.

Offline Tuco Salamanca

« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2014, 07:03:56 PM »

True enough about Newcastle- it's difficult to believe they've picked up so many points.

As I see it though Guzan, Vlaar, Delph and Benteke are quality Premier League players. Okore most probably is. Westwood & Bacuna on a good day maybe. The rest are Championship. The starting XI Southampton was laughably bad- I never had any hope we'd score.

I'm no fan of Lambert but with the squad he has (albeit of his own making) I really don't think we could have expected much better.

That said, below Southampton there's little in it and 4 good players would give us a top half side..

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »
I'm a fan of Moyes, but look if we're gonna have a decent amount of cash to spend next season (new owners and all that) let's go for someone who actually plays exciting attacking football for a change. Christ we deserve it after the last few years of Lambert and McLeish.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »
Moyes did well with a limited budget, to an extent at Everton, especially some of his recruits from lower leagues like Jagielka, Lescott, and Cahill.  But to me his style of football was rather drab and old school, and it would be too much like getting O'Neill mk II in.  Even with more cash to spend than he had at Everton I suspect he would share the same glass ceiling (top 6-8) as O'Neill due to his tactical limitations.  That may sound great compared to what we've had since MON but I think the novelty would soon wear off.   I'd much prefer to see someone who seems to know how to play an expansive passing game with tactical flexibility - and that probably means looking abroad, unless Rodgers gets bored at 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'.

I would agree on the whole, but I will say I thought his Everton team for the last couple of seasons started to play much better football than the previous versions, which has probably helped Martinez a lot too.

You're right Lee, and I was alluding to that earlier. It took Moyes 10 years to build that and I don't know that he would have the time to do that again or indeed the energy at another club. Had he come to us post MON, I think we'd be 4 years into that process and we'd be taking shape nicely as a solid if unspectacular club. But 4 years since MON, I don't think any Villa fan has the appetite for that style of football or indeed that ground zero style rebuilding project. The first thing many including myself want to see is a better brand of football even if that came with some short term pain in terms of results. That's what Martinez might have brought had he decided to join us from Wigan. Moyes needs a break from management. We need a break from his style of football.

No, I agree, I'm not arguing his case just pointing out he wasn't as one dimensional as MON.

For me, it's not about getting the most impressive manager you can, but getting the right man for where you are as a club. After the last, well frankly 15 years bar the odd bright spot it's been drab as fuck down here and the next manager needs to be someone who can play modern fucking football. 

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
He paid £10m+ for Yakubu, just saying.

Yakubu 10m - 33 goals in  107 appearance in all competitions - 74 starts, 33 subs

Beattie has a shite record but they managed to mug Bryan Robson at Sheff Utd to spend 4m on him. They made a profit on Johnson 2m or so.

Unfortunately some of our record/high profile forward signings that we have let go/will let go for nothing also have similarish records to the Yak.

Darren Bent 18m-24m - 25 goals in 64 appearances in all competitions - 52 starts 12 subs
Juan Pablo Angel 9.5m - 62 goals in 205 appearances in all competitions - 158 starts 47 subs
Stanley Victor Collymore 7m - 15 goals in 64 appearances in all competitions - 52 starts 12 subs
Bosco Balaban 6m - ..............

At least with Baros, Houllier saved our bacon by swapping Carew for him. Again maybe a Sporting Director type of figure would better gauge when to cut players loose too. Not selling Carew for a couple of million the summer MON left an example of burning cash.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:37 PM »
When you look at Bent's figures you see what a total waste he was for us. Not even two seasons and still a great goal to game ratio... and he'll leave on a free.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »

True enough about Newcastle- it's difficult to believe they've picked up so many points.

i think on at least three or four occasions this season, Newcastle have turned draws into wins with goals past 90 minutes. I appreciate that that is itself a skill, but in their case, it struck me as lucky. That probably explains their league position.

I saw their home record since the turn of the year recently, and it was just staggeringly bad.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2014, 08:59:04 PM »
When you look at Bent's figures you see what a total waste he was for us. Not even two seasons and still a great goal to game ratio... and he'll leave on a free.

guess with Gabby at the time struggling to hit a cows arse with a banjo, we were on the slippery slope to the Championship when he came in.

Working with Young and Downing he was in great shape. He was England's main striker pre Euro 2012 until his injury.

That injury seems to have killed his mobility and his heart is long since gone too.

Sometimes it cant be helped but perhaps we could have let him go for 6m or so if Lambert didnt fancy him very early on.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2014, 10:15:20 PM »
Moyes v Lambert. Anyone not wanting the former at Villa right now needs their bumps feeling
Ready when you are......
And talking about his transfer genius Jelavic for £10m  sold for £2m

They paid 6m for Jelavic and he had a great 12-18 months for them, hardly the worst buy in the world.

We've recently paid 7m for that lump Kozak.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »
Moyes v Lambert. Anyone not wanting the former at Villa right now needs their bumps feeling
Ready when you are......

They paid 6m for Jelavic and he had a great 12-18 months for them, hardly the worst buy in the world.

Ultimately any criticism of what Moyes did has to be tempered by the fact that, whatever it was, it was good enough to get him the Man United job.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #343 on: April 23, 2014, 10:32:20 PM »
Ready when you are......

Ultimately any criticism of what Moyes did has to be tempered by the fact that, whatever it was, it was good enough to get him the Man United job.
I don't really think that works. It was a bad decision to give him the job, irrespective of the good stuff that he undoubtedly did at Everton.

It's a bit like saying "ultimately any criticism of what McLeish did has to be tempered by the fact that whatever it was, it was good enough to get him the Villa job".

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #344 on: April 24, 2014, 06:10:54 AM »
you mean like winning silverware?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal