collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Southampton (H): The post match thread  (Read 29531 times)

Offline Lobsterboy

Re: Southampton (H): The post match thread
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
Would have taken a point at the start and even more so at half time so can't knock a point given our recent results and piss poor performances

The HUGE point that Lambert was waxing lyrical about at the end not looking so huge in light of Sunderland winning at Chelsea

Squeaky bum time still and hope Liverpool and Man Citeh can do us a favour by beating Norwich and WBA

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
Do you think in training they just bang balls into the box with no one getting into the box or do we just bang balls into the box not realising that everyone else has gone off to get their scrambled eggs...come to think of it...do we actually train ?

Offline supertom

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »
Do you think in training they just bang balls into the box with no one getting into the box or do we just bang balls into the box not realising that everyone else has gone off to get their scrambled eggs...come to think of it...do we actually train ?

No. No we don't.

Offline django

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
Southampton have spent a reasonable ammount of money but they haven't spread it thinly across the whole squad. I think that good players raise the standards of those around them. That's why someone like Steven Davis, who wasn't considered good enough for us a few years back would have been our best midfielder today.

Obviously even if you have better players, these players need to be organised with a particular way of playing in mind. I'm not really sure what ours is supposed to be at the moment. Albrighton had the most joy of any of our players today but our strikers weren't looking for those kind of crosses (in towards the near post mostly)

Weimann actually made some great runs in the first half, pulling into space on the edges of the area, the balls then went out wide to Albrighton and there was no one on the end of the cross that came in.

Gabby and Weimann get a lot of stick, much of it deserved, but I don't think we've played either of them to their strengths, today or for most of their careers.

Offline supertom

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Southampton have spent a reasonable ammount of money but they haven't spread it thinly across the whole squad. I think that good players raise the standards of those around them. That's why someone like Steven Davis, who wasn't considered good enough for us a few years back would have been our best midfielder today.

Obviously even if you have better players, these players need to be organised with a particular way of playing in mind. I'm not really sure what ours is supposed to be at the moment. Albrighton had the most joy of any of our players today but our strikers weren't looking for those kind of crosses (in towards the near post mostly)

Weimann actually made some great runs in the first half, pulling into space on the edges of the area, the balls then went out wide to Albrighton and there was no one on the end of the cross that came in.

Gabby and Weimann get a lot of stick, much of it deserved, but I don't think we've played either of them to their strengths, today or for most of their careers.
Agreed on the last point. As poor as they were today, I thought it would have been wiser to play Weimann through the middle, his natural position, and play Gabby out wide. I think Gabby would have been slightly more effective/less shite if he could have been attacking Clyne. We should have spread a bit more width on the left side too, not have everything going down the right.
Again though, it's another tactical howler from Lambert. The man's clueless.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »
This season can't end soon enough. It's like a hangover that won't go away.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »

This is sort of what I'm saying aswell. Southampton made a decision a while ago to spend money on key areas and flesh out their squad with promosing youth on the bench e.g. chambers, Reed and Gallagher all subs for them today who are youth products.

In the summer they spent our annual 20m on Lovren (7m) and Wanayama (12m). Now Wan has lost form lately but I think he's better than what we've got and Lovren has been excellent for them in defence.

Thi season has shown we don't need to spent 20m on strenghtheing the squad if the result is Tonev, Luna, Sylla, Helenius benchwarming. Honestly the likes of Robinson, Grealish, Carruthers could've done that role.

I'd say two good midfielders in and suddenly the likes of Delph and especially Westwood will improve with the quality around them. Or one of them will be on the bench which will make our squad stronger that way.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »
This season can't end soon enough. It's like a hangover that won't go away.

Totally agree, which is crazy because in September (I think) when we beat Norwich and Man City back to back - and we'd already won at Arsenal - I honestly thought this was going to a great season.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2014, 09:10:02 PM »
On the 'not training apparently' point:

- a 1st half free kick on the left wing at the halfway line when it was clear that Delph and Bertrand had not a clue what to do with it;

- a 1st half throw in with the chance to take it quickly and Gabby was asleep with his back turned to thrower Bertrand;

- Weimann taking a blatant foul throw towards Gabby and then whining like a twat as usual to the officials, for their correct decision against him;

- KEA getting a decent pass, only to hit the ball into touch with his standing foot.

In every single instance, a small child with six or so training sessions behind him/ her could do much, much better.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »

This is sort of what I'm saying aswell. Southampton made a decision a while ago to spend money on key areas and flesh out their squad with promosing youth on the bench e.g. chambers, Reed and Gallagher all subs for them today who are youth products.

In the summer they spent our annual 20m on Lovren (7m) and Wanayama (12m). Now Wan has lost form lately but I think he's better than what we've got and Lovren has been excellent for them in defence.

This season has shown we don't need to spent 20m on strenghtheing the squad if the result is Tonev, Luna, Sylla, Helenius benchwarming. Honestly the likes of Robinson, Grealish, Carruthers could've done that role.

I'd say two good midfielders in and suddenly the likes of Delph and especially Westwood will improve with the quality around them. Or one of them will be on the bench which will make our squad stronger that way.

Bang on.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
I've been thinking about how shit Southampton were as well. Yes, they had the possession, but they were dull, and they had about as much idea as we did going forward. I still think they like to go for punts into the area for Rickie Lambert to get on the end of.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »
You can see the difference Rodriguez makes to them. He is incisive in his runs.

We need a win, but just don't look like scoring. Need Hull safe by the time they come to VP.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
I've been thinking about how shit Southampton were as well. Yes, they had the possession, but they were dull, and they had about as much idea as we did going forward. I still think they like to go for punts into the area for Rickie Lambert to get on the end of.

I think thats unfair, they sliced us open quite a few times and played dangerous low crosses into the six yard box, from near the byline. Lallana missed an open goal and Lambert missed two great chances from that kind of move. They lacked intensity, and maybe Rodriguez makes them a bit more direct, but they played a lot of good football.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »

I think thats unfair, they sliced us open quite a few times and played dangerous low crosses into the six yard box, from near the byline. Lallana missed an open goal and Lambert missed two great chances from that kind of move. They lacked intensity, and maybe Rodriguez makes them a bit more direct, but they played a lot of good football.

I think we made a few chances too, without looking at the stats. I'm pretty sure Benteke or Kozak would have scored for us today from Albrighton's deliveries. You have a point with intensity, and both teams were guilty of that, although both sides missed key players. I thought it was very dull all round.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
Kozak has been gone long enough I have applied my rose coloured filter to him. I reckon he would have thrived on todays kind of game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal