collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:27:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 02:27:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:27:02 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 02:26:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 02:26:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 02:26:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:26:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The end-of-season run-in  (Read 12581 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: The end-of-season run-in
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »
That truism put so pithily by Stu seems to clear away a lot of mystery.   How can somebody who looks, sounds and acts like Paul Lambert have a master plan?   Answer, he doesn't it's an experiment.   He does look, sound and act like somebody who would experiment.

The question is; is it his or his boss's experiment?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:59:38 AM by Chris Smith »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
Can't see us getting another point to be honest and am surprised by the optimism on here. I've seen nothing of late to show we are capable of getting another point.

The only chance we have is if Hull make the FA Cup Final and are safe ten maybe they'd rest some players? What a fucking shit season, having to rely on teams like Hull to hopefully rest their better players (if they have any).

More than anything, we have to rely on other teams not getting the amount of points we're on now. Sunderland, Norwich and A.N.Other.

I'm afraid I am also pinning my hopes on the Hull game and them resting players or putting in a half hearted pre final performance. No chance in the last two games, maybe a point at Swansea or against Southampton but I wouldn't bet on it. Just watch Sheffield United win today and shaft us for the second time this season. It really has come to this.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
Plus our players are unfortunately not good enough

The truth of the 'young and hungry' model. It was never a plan, it was an experiment to see if we could survive on the cheap.

Well said. If anyone mentioned 'The Plan' to me with any hint of seriousness at the moment I don't know what I would do. I had better stay away from the mail website because if Faulkner mentions it in the coming days the laptop would go through a window.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2014, 11:03:13 AM »
Chris I think it is one of those situations where it is both and neither.   It is like when you go with your wife to choose some paint for the downstairs loo and she really wants Mulberry Blush and you really want Polar White and you buy Magnolia which you both hate but did not think it was worth a row in B and Q.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »
Plus our players are unfortunately not good enough

The truth of the 'young and hungry' model. It was never a plan, it was an experiment to see if we could survive on the cheap.

Yep.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
That truism put so pithily by Stu seems to clear away a lot of mystery.   How can somebody who looks, sounds and acts like Paul Lambert have a master plan?   Answer, he doesn't it's an experiment.   He does look, sound and act like somebody who would experiment.

It's his boss's. Lambert just couldn't turn down the chance to manage a club as big as the Villa.
He'll certainly never get another chance.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »
Perhaps if anyone still has their 'bright future' scarves we could return them en masse on the basis they contain a false advertising claim.

Offline myf

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
We'll take 5 points I reckon. God knows how and where but law of averages

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
It's difficult to see us not taking another point in the run in no matter how badly we're playing.

Even yesterday we were abysmal in the second half and yet the game was petering out to a nil nil so I can see us picking up a point or two v teams who a) can't score and b) can't be bothered. Hull look in the can't be bothered camp given they're safe and will probably be in a cup final and given Southampton couldn't score and lost at home to Cardiff that suggests to me they're on the beach now so think we can scrape a point next week.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »

It's his boss's. Lambert just couldn't turn down the chance to manage a club as big as the Villa.

This is a guess, but buy on the cheap for few years, tread water and then hopefully we would be better financially to buy better players.... As said looks like Randy is no longer interested, I suppose the summer will tell.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »

This is a guess, but buy on the cheap for few years, tread water and then hopefully we would be better financially to buy better players.... As said looks like Randy is no longer interested, I suppose the summer will tell.

It perhaps started out as a hobby for Lerner, but it is definitely solely a business now. He will not go down the road of big players/big wages. No chance.

O'Neill left because it was spelt out, General Krulak disappeared and Lerner no longer attends. Its over for the owner, he's selling (if he can)

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »
v Southampton (H)
v Swansea City (A)
v Hull City (H)
v Manchester City (A)
v Tottenham Hotspur (A)

LDDLL

Staying up by a point in 16th on GD.

I can't see us winning or drawing any of these games. We'll finish the season on 34 points!

Offline levico

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »
v Southampton (H)
v Swansea City (A)
v Hull City (H)
v Manchester City (A)
v Tottenham Hotspur (A)

LDDLL

I can't see us winning or drawing any of these games. We'll finish the season on 34 points!

I agree unless we ditch Lambert and give a caretaker manager a go. Then we might have a chance of snatching the odd point.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2014, 04:56:04 PM »
I don't think we'll survive on 34 points now. Think Fulham will surpass that and it would require one fluke win from Norwich to overtake us.

Even Cardiff after their shock win yesterday still have a chance and it's possible they could win two more games with their run in.

If we don't pick up a point soon it will go to the last day which will be horrible. We've been quite lucky given our struggles in the last few seasons that we've actually been safe going into the last day of seasons.

Online garyellis

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »
When was the last time a premier league team lost all it's last 9 games?
v Southampton (H)
v Swansea City (A)
v Hull City (H)
v Manchester City (A)
v Tottenham Hotspur (A)

LDDLL

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal