collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 04:46:49 PM]

FFP by aev
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:44:20 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R24;Europa Conf🏆 QF ASTON VILLA v Lille OSC! 🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:43:48 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 04:31:41 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 04:29:17 PM]

MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:26:39 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 04:25:59 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 04:46:49 PM]

Re: FFP by aev
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:44:20 PM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R24;Europa Conf🏆 QF ASTON VILLA v Lille OSC! 🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:43:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 04:43:00 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:42:15 PM]

Re: FFP by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 04:40:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 04:40:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2655293 times)

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
Re: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL
« Reply #17895 on: December 13, 2016, 12:11:22 PM »
These days people only believe something if they see it on television.  I have two sons, a real one who is on television and a virtual one who is not. So we need to have a documentary made called The Birth of the Beautiful Game with William McGregor played by Timothy Spall in Mr Turner dress but with whiskers.   Then they will believe us.

Considering the meeting happened in London in 1888, we need a Hollywood fictionalisation in which William McGregor, played by Tom Hardy, helps Sherlock Holmes (Domnhall Gleason) in trying to crack the Jack the Ripper case.
The Ripper (the sinister James Nesbitt) is assisted by a cabal of Freemasons  led by Anthony Hopkins and Christopher Waltz in his escape and passage to the USA to start a new life. In return for his majority share-holding in the Manchester Ship Canal, of course.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17896 on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
File alongside lawn tennis being invented in Birmingham. That's one you never, ever hear about when they're blathering on about the traditions of tennis during Wimbledon.

The photo in the famous 70s wall art of the tennis lady and her nice arse - taken in Birmingham

Offline waringpongo

« Reply #17897 on: December 13, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
50% of all inventions were invented in a 50 mile radius around Birmingham. It might be patents but is something like that.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #17898 on: December 13, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »
File alongside lawn tennis being invented in Birmingham. That's one you never, ever hear about when they're blathering on about the traditions of tennis during Wimbledon.

The photo in the famous 70s wall art of the tennis lady and her nice arse - taken in Birmingham

Oh, I say.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #17899 on: December 13, 2016, 01:54:10 PM »
Brummie Ann Jones is also the most succesful British ladies' player since the end of the First World War, nine Grand Slam Finals, winning three.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:56:02 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #17900 on: December 13, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
I keep having to check the title of this thread to make sure i haven't stumbled into 'birmingham news' from the OT section, this feels a lot like that thread right now.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #17901 on: December 13, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
Public transport is a fucking shambles.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #17902 on: December 13, 2016, 02:22:53 PM »
Bring back King Kong.

Offline Pete

« Reply #17903 on: December 13, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »
In that Guraidan 'alt-culture in Birmingham' article where Percy and a one or two of us have left comments, someone came on to 'point out' that Aston Villa 'were co-founders' . When told/reminded of McGregor's role in instigating the meeting the reply was 'but the first meeting was in London though'. A perfect example of people trying to steer the narrative away from its rightful focus.

That was me - and was in no way intended to steer the narrative from its focus. Percy said McGregor called the meeting in Manchester - as a dedicated pedant, I had to point out that it was London (the Manchester meeting was a follow-up to finalise details). I in no way contradicted the point that the meeting was instigated by McGregor, just its location.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:05:06 PM by Pete »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #17904 on: December 13, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »
Come on Pete, we need pro-Brummies not pedantic-Petes.

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #17905 on: December 13, 2016, 06:19:10 PM »
It was played first in Edgbaston but moved to Leamington.

8 Ampton Road in Edgbaston by Harry Gem and Augurio Perera. Even back then in 1859 Birmingham was multi-cultural.

My sons used to go to school with the sons of the current owners of 8 Ampton Road. As fellow followers of the greatest game that is played on grass you'll be pleased to know that that famous piece of grass has a footy net on it now which I've taken penalties into.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #17906 on: December 13, 2016, 06:45:20 PM »

8 Ampton Road in Edgbaston by Harry Gem and Augurio Perera. Even back then in 1859 Birmingham was multi-cultural.

My sons used to go to school with the sons of the current owners of 8 Ampton Road. As fellow followers of the greatest game that is played on grass you'll be pleased to know that that famous piece of grass has a footy net on it now which I've taken penalties into.

I note with interest you never mentioned whether you actually scored. Southgate, Vassell, Mellberg, Vlaar, Andrew08. Typical Villa. Bloody useless!

Online nigel

« Reply #17907 on: December 13, 2016, 07:06:38 PM »

I note with interest you never mentioned whether you actually scored. Southgate, Vassell, Mellberg, Vlaar, Andrew08. Typical Villa. Bloody useless!

I think the key word is 'Into' 😊

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #17908 on: December 13, 2016, 08:11:35 PM »
These days people only believe something if they see it on television.  I have two sons, a real one who is on television and a virtual one who is not. So we need to have a documentary made called The Birth of the Beautiful Game with William McGregor played by Timothy Spall in Mr Turner dress but with whiskers.   Then they will believe us.

Considering the meeting happened in London in 1888, we need a Hollywood fictionalisation in which William McGregor, played by Tom Hardy, helps Sherlock Holmes (Domnhall Gleason) in trying to crack the Jack the Ripper case.
The Ripper (the sinister James Nesbitt) is assisted by a cabal of Freemasons  led by Anthony Hopkins and Christopher Waltz in his escape and passage to the USA to start a new life. In return for his majority share-holding in the Manchester Ship Canal, of course.

Great as that sounds, I'm not watching anything with James Bastard Nesbit in.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #17909 on: December 13, 2016, 11:08:57 PM »
Correct. The only thing I'd watch with him in would be his execution.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal