collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:22:22 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2654902 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL
« Reply #17910 on: December 15, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »
Nice story about our club. We are a class above.

Aston Villa, Tony Xia and the most heartwarming story you'll read this Christmas

Chris Searles had an emotional experience of a lifetime thanks to Dr Tony Xia

BY MAT KENDRICK

Aston Villa fan Chris Searles has contacted the Birmingham Mail to share a heartwarming story involving Dr Tony Xia.

Chris was over from Canada for his stepfather's funeral when he had a chance encounter with the Villa owner.

What followed was a wonderful example of Xia's kindness and an emotional nostalgic experience of a lifetime for Chris.
We'll let Chris take up the story:

The background

My dad, Melv Mullen, was a well known Villa fan.

He isn’t my biological dad, but came into my life when I was five when he moved to Bognor for work. My first game was in 86, a home game against Liverpool that finished in a 2-2 draw. I was hooked on the Villa from that moment on travelling around the country watching Villa.

It was about spending quality time with my dad, the excitement of travelling up by train, seeing the magical AV floodlights, his old Villa friends that treated me superbly, the electric atmosphere and hopefully a Villa win.

The bereavement

My dad passed away in August and we wanted to have the memorial service at the Aston parish church. After a slight delay we booked in last Friday. I had emigrated to Vancouver about 11 years ago and came over for the service. Being back in Birmingham and particularly Villa after many years away was very emotional.

It was fantastic to see so many old faces from my youth. Just before the service started, I become a bit too emotional and needed a walk to clear my head and refocus. I decided to take a walk down to Villa Park for old times sake. It was dark with not many lights on.

The chance encounter

As I walked past the North Stand from the Trinity Road I saw a couple of figures come out of the reception area. As I got closer to them I realised that it was Dr. Tony and his assistant Rongtian Ho.

I bumped into them and said that I’m really pleased with the positivity that seems to be around the place. I told them I came from Vancouver for my dad's memorial and that I’m taking a walk for sentimental reasons as Villa Park holds so many happy memories for both of us.

I was about to ask for a picture when he asked me to join him for the next day's game. I was a bit shocked! His assistant (known as Mr. Ho at Villa Park) took my number and said we would connect in the morning.

I went back to a wonderful service with a wake at the Aston Tavern where old stories were shared. Including the one of Mac the Sock and my dad hitchhiking to Norwich and getting picked up by Doug Ellis who took them there and brought them back!

The next day

The next morning Mr. Ho asked if I could meet him at the North Stand reception at 12.45.

As I got there Ron Atkinson was walking in. Mr Ho turned up and beckoned me to come outside and get in a car. I jumped in the front and Dr Tony was siting behind me!

So he waited outside until a no mark like me got in! We got to the players' entrance where he waved at the Villa fans waiting in the usual position by the fence.

The three of us walked in and I said 'hello' to a few players after they said hello to the chairman.

The tour

We walked down to the changing areas and he popped into the manager's office very briefly. He then walked me out onto the pitch and up to the Holte End.

There I was, just me, the chairman and Mr. Ho walking out on the pitch together. He didn’t need to do any of it but made it just for me.

I told him how unbelievable this was and how I wished my dad was there to see as he would never have believed me!

On the way back Steve Bruce popped out for a chat and graciously allowed a picture. Tony and the manager seem to have a very friendly and fun relationship. The Dr. took me up to join the #sittingwithxia competition winners in the box suite and had a chat with us all there.

Dr Tony was really nice. I had no idea what was going on so I pretty much just followed the two of them about whilst they took me on this personal tour. I wanted to be respectful so just went along with it all.

The experience

I said to the Dr. that previously owners had looked at a Villa fans ‘match day experience’ as a chance to sell merchandise and make money.

He said that they are working hard to make Villa a family club that has deep connections throughout Birmingham.

Keith Wyness came in and told us that we are behind the other clubs with our youth policy and that we are determined to be the best in the Midlands as soon as possible. He said they have completed a round of staff recruitment with a mandate to take back the city.

It was exciting and promising stuff. Ian Taylor came by to say 'hello' as well as Brian Little, my dad's favourite player.

One thing I noticed was how friendly and down to earth everyone was. There were no airs or graces, we are all part of the same family.

The match

The first time I heard Holte Enders in the Sky on Saturday, I of course have a tear or two in my eyes.

The game wasn’t the best and looked to be another draw until fittingly another product of the Aston Social match day club, Jack Grealish, fires in a belter for the win.

The memories

How’s that for a story? It probably means a lot more to me than anyone else, but to have Dr. Tony do that all for just me was incredible. He didn’t need to do it. He wasn’t looking for any recognition.

He understood the significance of my visit and how important it was to me and wanted to make it a great experience.

I just knew that my dad would have a hand in it all!

In the days before mobiles and internet forums, you rode your luck on meeting up with your friends on matchday.

My dad also said to me to never worry about not getting a ticket, he always sorted it out.

And he did, we never missed a game despite some close calls.

We always found the Villa fans and a couple of tickets were always produced.

This time my dad produced the best ticket for me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:42:51 PM by Axl Rose »

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17911 on: December 15, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »
That has made my day Axl. Even if we are still a bit crap on the field, we look like we have our club back.

Offline Singapore Villa

• GM : 09.06.2019
« Reply #17912 on: December 15, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
Lovely story that.  And here were are all moaning about Ashley Westwood and then you read a story like that and realise how much Aston Villa Football Club means to so many of us.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #17913 on: December 15, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »
Lovely story that.  And here were are all moaning about Ashley Westwood and then you read a story like that and realise how much Aston Villa Football Club means to so many of us.

I heartily agree.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #17914 on: December 15, 2016, 04:34:50 PM »
Wonderful story and bought a tear to my eye.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #17915 on: December 15, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »
The Birmingham League is the World's oldest cricket league, while we're at it.

Apparently the cricket league was formed on the back of the success of the football league.

The parallels don't stop there ....

"In 1892, Small Heath Cricket Club joined the league and although their ground was amongst the best in the competition, the club was out of its depth in other aspects, and they resigned from the league 3 years later."

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #17916 on: December 15, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
Very moving story. Well done everyone involved.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17917 on: December 15, 2016, 07:24:04 PM »
Very moving story. Well done everyone involved.

The bit about Small Heath being shit at cricket too?

Offline peter w

« Reply #17918 on: December 15, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »
Come on Pete, we need pro-Brummies not pedantic-Petes.

It's just part of our DNA I'm afraid.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #17919 on: December 16, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
Thank you for posting that story Axl.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #17920 on: December 16, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »
That has made my day Axl. Even if we are still a bit crap on the field, we look like we have our club back.

Great story Axl, thanks for sharing, I needed it

Offline Pete

« Reply #17921 on: December 16, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
Come on Pete, we need pro-Brummies not pedantic-Petes.

It's just part of our DNA I'm afraid.

Blimey, I only corrected a detail of a post, there was nothing anti-Brummie at all. Yours, Flummoxed, from Great Barr.

Offline Dave Wall

« Reply #17922 on: December 16, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »
Nice read that well done Villa

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #17923 on: December 16, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »
Class.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #17924 on: December 16, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »
I think what was really classy was that it's come from the guy himself, it's not been something that the club has intentionally looked to exploit as a good PR piece, it's just been done as though this is the norm.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal