collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 98366 times)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
So first Sprint Tri done in 1 hour 42 mins. Quite pleased bike worked ok though could probably shave a few mins with some aero bars. Also need to lose about a stone and not get so hyped before the swim, off too fast and paid in the last 4 lengths! Great experience though and really enjoyed it.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »
So first Sprint Tri done in 1 hour 42 mins. Quite pleased bike worked ok though could probably shave a few mins with some aero bars. Also need to lose about a stone and not get so hyped before the swim, off too fast and paid in the last 4 lengths! Great experience though and really enjoyed it.

You can also shave minutes off the bike time by pushing harder on the pedals.

Single biggest aero advantage you can get £ for £ is a decent aero helmet, doesn't even have to be one of those idiotic 'sperm' helmets, something like a Kask Bambino or Giro Air Attack for about £115.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »

Single biggest aero advantage you can get £ for £ is a decent aero helmet, doesn't even have to be one of those idiotic 'sperm' helmets, something like a Kask Bambino or Giro Air Attack for about £115.

Think you may be right about pushing harder on the pedals Jon!! I'm probably if I'm honest at only about 90% fitness at the moment so some better bike/run training will help lose weight and help in harder pedal pushing. Funny you should mention aero helmets a chap in the office here swears by them and thinks they give nearly as good a benefit as bars and general bike aero position. One to consider for future events.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »

Think you may be right about pushing harder on the pedals Jon!! I'm probably if I'm honest at only about 90% fitness at the moment so some better bike/run training will help lose weight and help in harder pedal pushing. Funny you should mention aero helmets a chap in the office here swears by them and thinks they give nearly as good a benefit as bars and general bike aero position. One to consider for future events.

You can add T1 and T2 practice to the list as well, wetsuit removal and bike setup practice will take time out as will having a well laid out transition area for T2. Guess what that's all free speed as well, no money needed to go faster, just practice and thought.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2016, 07:43:16 PM »

You can add T1 and T2 practice to the list as well, wetsuit removal and bike setup practice will take time out as will having a well laid out transition area for T2. Guess what that's all free speed as well, no money needed to go faster, just practice and thought.

My T1 time was actually quite good as I'd practiced and done the old visualisation thing as well so was happy with that. Unfortunately as I came to my position on T2 there was a BTF official standing in the bleeding way and by the time I'd asked him to move (twice) it completely threw me and I probably lost 30 seconds getting my shit back together. There are some cracking vids on youtube about laying out transitions and practising which I've watched. The guy at work does Duathlons and he's just started practising the cleats already attached to pedals to save himself some time which is one for the future as well.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
I rode the Ironman Weymouth bike route yesterday, lumpier than I thought it was going to be, theres one long draggy climb of about 10km that takes you to the highest point on the course, it's never ending, false summit after false summit and it was windy as well which added to the drag factor.  On the plus side theres also a 15km uber fast section which if I ride the TT bike means a good opportunity to get average speeds back up after a long climb.  Oh and on one of the descents yesterday I hit 76 kmh, not a PB but close.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »
Cav in yellow!

Offline ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
The lad did well.

Offline ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
Contador looks a bit battered.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2016, 07:18:47 PM »
Contador looks a bit battered.

But he's not a Premier League footballer so he'll man up and crack on.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
That corner he come off on looked horrendous

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »
G was caught up in it as well.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »
Really pleased for Cav, written off by some who thought this stage would be a straight fight between the two big Germans.

Given the cross between road and track he has been doing this year that is an impressive win.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2016, 08:30:44 PM »
He'll struggle to hold onto the jersey tomorrow i suspect.
That's crash near the end was pretty spectacular as well.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2016, 01:34:36 PM »
Not until I settled down to watch yesterday did I realise that Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen were no longer providing the commentary for ITV.  Really disappointed - especially as I found Ned Boulting all very frantic: he was almost hyperventilating if one of the GC contenders needed a simple wheel change. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal