collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 100637 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
Nibali DQd from the Vuelta for cheating.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/vuelta-a-espana/video-shows-vincenzo-nibali-holding-onto-team-car-at-vuelta-a-espana-188080

Apparently he said he had a 'sticking water bottle'

Ha ha 60 mph uphill!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2015, 10:06:14 PM »

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »
The cynic in me thinks that Nibali was well aware what he was doing and was happy to take the chance.  The crash left him having a hissy fit becasue of the delay in getting a bike to him and although Astana have said Aru is their leader and NIbali the super domestique he must have still thought that he could become the  number one as the race developed.

The time delay as a result of the crash took that prospect away and I think he had no intention of doing three weeks worth of pulling Aru up those slopes.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
Great Tour of Britain going on at the moment!

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
I haven't managed to catch any of it this year. Have any of the stages been as exciting as the one that included the Honister pass in the pissing down rain last year?

Offline SteveN

« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2015, 07:57:12 PM »
Aru wins the Vuelta but feel sorry for Dumoulin.  He had to defend on his own whilst Aru had superb support from Sanchez, Veits and especially Lande.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »
That Vuelta was cracking from start to finish. I too feel for Dumoulin, especially after the rampant cheating of Astana earlier in the race. Hope he wins the worlds now.

Offline SteveN

« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
It didn't look as if Aru was subject to the same level of scrutiny as Froome, which is odd when you look at Astana's previous record.

I fancy Degenkolb for the Worlds.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »
Bike folk, I'm looking for a cross trail bike or a tourer.  I've cycle toured before using hybrids but feel the cross trails might be a better fit with their bigger wheels, yet I'm told can handle panniers okay.  My plan is to do the 500 mile ride around the north of scotland next year (no proclaimers jokes thanks) and will also use for commuting my 5 miles to work.

Any recommendations or unbiased websites for reviews?

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »
So many good bikes out there right now and a great time to be buying as 2016 models are creeping in and deals to be done on 2015 ranges.

Can't help with reviews or recommendations as I'm more a roadie and TT rider but I'd always advise get fitted properly before parting with your money and I don't just mean a stand over measurement, at least get a BG fit (Specialized) or equivalent and if you can afford a Retul fit before you buy.

Offline SteveN

« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »
Great win for Lizzie Armistead

Online spangley1812

« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2015, 09:43:03 PM »
From BBC Website

London has turned down the chance to host the start of the 2017 Tour de France, angering the race owners.

London beat bids from Edinburgh, Manchester and several German regions to stage the Grand Depart.

But last week, a day before contracts were meant to be signed, Transport for London (TfL) said it was pulling out.
"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.
"We have always said that the return of the Tour was subject to funding."

The timing of the decision has angered the Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO), the French company which owns the race.

As the body responsible for all transport policy in London, TfL would have provided the funds for staging the Tour's opening stages.

London hosted a hugely successful Grand Depart in 2007 and the finish of the Tour's third stage in 2014.

The first two stages of last year's Tour were held in Yorkshire, attracting an estimated four million spectators and boosting the economy by £100m, according to local organisers.

TfL contributed £6m to the Grand Depart budget of £27m, which was almost as much as the total for two days of racing in 2007.

Given the upfront costs and the prospect of major cuts to transport spending across the UK later this year, it is understood bosses at TfL and the Greater London Authority, its parent body, decided the city could not afford a third visit from the world's biggest bike race.

It is believed the 2017 Grand Depart will now be held in Germany, which has not hosted a Tour stage since 2005.

The Manche region of Normandy will host next year's Grand Depart, when Britain's Chris Froome will start as defending champion.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »
Just watching the road race at the Worlds in Virginia US and A on Eurosport, great race on a tough course. 

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2015, 09:58:35 PM »
Entered Paris Roubaix again for April 2016, why do I do this to myself?

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »
Have gone and got myself a smart turbo trainer (the BKool Pro).  Anyone had any experience with the online offerings from BKool themselves or Zwift?  My mate tells me that the software control of the trainer when you're doing stuff like Ventoux etc virtually is the dogs bollocks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal