collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by JD
[Today at 05:32:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 98351 times)

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2015, 12:34:07 PM »
Heard good things about Zwift but never used it myself, have used the Tacx version and it's pretty good, you have to steer the bike round bends and you can race other connected users.

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2015, 10:10:03 AM »
For a quick test, downloaded a route I'd previously done on Strava and was very impressed at the automatic gradient changes that mimicked the actual roads I'd ridden.

Might just do that from now on including the summer, avoid the traffic/potholes/weather etc

;)

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
These are a great idea, but in reality a little flimsy & the data outputs are useless for Strava, Garmin, Training Peaks etc

https://www.proform.com/tour-de-france

I ditched the turbo a few months ago and pugged out on an ex Team Sky Watt Bike (It was Ian Stannard's) an incredible machine that I'm still expolring in terms of what it's telling me (Basically it tells me to MTFU & push harder on the pedals)  I do Sufferfest on it 3 times a week in the winter as well as FTP testing every few weeks to check progress.

http://wattbike.com/uk/home

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2016, 05:28:24 PM »
Not much activity here for a while so here goes.

Looking for an entry level road bike as am doing 2-3 Sprint Tri's this year. Budget is about £750. After looking around it appears as though I can get something with a half decent group set Shimano Sora/Tiagra minimum at this budget with half decent wheels/brakes. My only query really is on the frame. Most bike shops seem to be suggesting that a Trek/Specialized/Giant frame is better quality (research/lifetime guarantee etc yada yada) but is the difference in terms of ride that much better than other brands/own brands? I've spotted an own brand Evans Pinnacle Dolomite 6 last years model for only £720 with a Shimano 105 group set throughout which seems incredible value, i m just unsure on whether the frame quality is going to be up to it and ultimately does it matter because if I get into it I'll probably splash a bit more next year anyway and use whatever I buy now for training.

Thoughts?

Offline ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »
The Pinnacle looks decent for the money, and you might even be able to test ride one at one of their shops.

In terms of frame quality, it's difficult to tell if the brands are better, they might shave a few grams here and there, or be a little more compliant, but most of them are made in the same factories in Taiwan as the Pinnacle probably is. I have an alloy BMC and am pretty impressed with the frame, but it cost a fair bit more than the Pinnacle without having a hugely better spec.

It's probably worth checking whether Evans have any ex-demo, clearance models at stupid prices.

You could take a look at one of these:  http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV22C/planet-x-pro-carbon-classic-sram-rival-11-road-bike  50 quid above your budget for a limited period only...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:38:39 PM by ian c. »

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »
Thanks Ian, am test riding the Pinnacle hopefully on Thursday. Will have another look around after looking at your link to see if there's something better massively reduced but you're often restricted on frame size with the half price deals from what I can see. Saw a Trek bike reduced to my budget figure from £1500 but they didn't have it in my Frame size, frustrating....

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2016, 02:01:34 AM »
If you can stretch a little further to £1000 it will open up a much better frame and groupset for you, you may even get into a carbon frame, Felt Z6, Fuji's, Jamis and Planet X to name a few.
Also worth checking out Tri Uk who often do a bundle deal for triathletes, bike, wetsuit and bike accessories, it's down in Somerset but available mail order online.

Secondhand is always worth exploring, Pinkbike and some of the Tri forums always have bikes for sale.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »
Have a look at Ribble as well.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Jon and Maidstone.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »
Have a look at Ribble as well.

I deliberately left Ribble off as they are getting panned on several forums just now and a mate had a bad experience with them last year, same goes for Canyon who make some amzing machines but seem let down by poor customer service issues just now.

Offline ian c.

« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2016, 08:44:40 AM »
If you can stretch a little further to £1000 it will open up a much better frame and groupset for you....

Bitter experience tells me that the bike you actually buy costs your original "absolute maximum limit" plus 60-100%.

But it's always worth it.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2016, 10:48:50 AM »
If you can stretch a little further to £1000 it will open up a much better frame and groupset for you....

Bitter experience tells me that the bike you actually buy costs your original "absolute maximum limit" plus 60-100%.

Always!

I'm also a firm believer in the rule that the number of bikes you should own is n+1, where n=the number of bikes you already own.

Offline ian c.

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »

Always!

I'm also a firm believer in the rule that the number of bikes you should own is n+1, where n=the number of bikes you already own.

My wife is trying to impose a 1 in 1 out rule...

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2016, 01:01:08 PM »
Yeah they all do that but they all shut up when you apply the same rule to cosmetics, shoes or handbags.

Offline ian c.

« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2016, 01:37:52 PM »
Yeah they all do that but they all shut up when you apply the same rule to cosmetics, shoes or handbags.

Good advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal