collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 99663 times)

Offline lovejoy

Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
A lot of Italian and Eastern European riders in there.

Funnily enough Nibali has not mud on him at all, however I fear his reputation is being tarnished by association with a dirty team and his dirty helpers.

Any idea how the UCI gave Astana a licence?!

Offline N'Rexy

• GM : Jan, 2012
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »
Nibalis trainer, Slongo, has been pictured with him.

The UCI had to give them a license, they would have sued otherwise. You can't kick teams out for doping violations. There would also be no World Tour either as most teams will have an 'issue' here or there.

Not as bad as the IAAF though! :-)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »
Fell off my bike today, luckily I'd reached the bottom of quite a long descent and was just starting a climb of Combe Jibbet (One of the top 100 UK climbs) so relatively low speed, front wheel just slid away on black ice and dumped me on the road.  Bike is fine.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2014, 10:53:49 PM »
Fell off my bike today, luckily I'd reached the bottom of quite a long descent and was just starting a climb of Combe Jibbet (One of the top 100 UK climbs) so relatively low speed, front wheel just slid away on black ice and dumped me on the road.  Bike is fine.

Hugs, hun xx

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »

Hope you are ok Jon and not too busted and/or bruised.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
And today I decided to hit the trails on the MTB.........and had a big crash at around 16mph according to the Garmin straight into a tree.  Might steer clear of bikes for the next few days, quite how I managed to not break anything I do not know.  Shoulder took the full force, tomorrow may be sore.

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »
Ouch. Not having much look by the sounds of it.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2014, 10:51:06 PM »
An all round shit day to be fair, started with a trip to the vet to have a family pet put to sleep, not a good start, mind not really on quite a difficult technical trail in wet slippery conditions = big hit.  I'll stick to swimming and the gym for the next few days, I mean, what else could possibly go wrong?

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
Broke a bike today, snapped the chain stay, carbon so that's that bike written off.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »
Broke a bike today, snapped the chain stay, carbon so that's that bike written off.

That's a sh!t Jon. How did that happen?

I've done a 25 miler today. Feeling a bit saddle sore at the moment.

Offline N'Rexy

• GM : Jan, 2012
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »
How old was the frame? Sounds like a bad layer to snap it down there. Head tube and forks are where you normally go. Did you get hurt?

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »
Halfway up a climb, not too steep maybe 10% rear end started to wobble and I stopped, got off span the cranks by hand nothing obvious, jumped back on and kicked on, wheel started to rub on brake and stopped again, undid the skewer to realign the wheel and noticed the stay was snapped.
Bike was about 4 years old justo my winter training ride so nothing too precious already stripped it of all salvage parts!

Will replace with a disc braked road bike for the winter as I've done a set of Mavics in 6 months now having destroyed the braking surfaces with all the shit on the road and rubber on Ali is sketchy at best.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2015, 02:48:39 AM »
Halfway up a climb, not too steep maybe 10% rear end started to wobble and I stopped, got off span the cranks by hand nothing obvious, jumped back on and kicked on, wheel started to rub on brake and stopped again, undid the skewer to realign the wheel and noticed the stay was snapped.
Bike was about 4 years old justo my winter training ride so nothing too precious already stripped it of all salvage parts!

Will replace with a disc braked road bike for the winter as I've done a set of Mavics in 6 months now having destroyed the braking surfaces with all the shit on the road and rubber on Ali is sketchy at best.

Jon is there not a guarantee on the frame from the shop? I did the same thing on my bike going up a hill a few years ago and the bike shop replaced the frame. It was a GT bike and was about the same age as yours.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2015, 12:34:54 PM »
There's a warranty on the frame, 2 years so out of warranty unfortunately.  Stripped now of anything useable or sellable, anyone want some Ultegra levers, front mech, rear mech & brake callipers?
I ordered one of these this morning, Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 with a very good deal from the local bike shop as a loyal customer.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_pdf/bikes/uk/giantbicycles-77288-defy.advanced.pro.1.pdf

The new winter ride arrives Tuesday to be built up, hopefully will be out hammering it by the weekend.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
Did my first ever Time Trial tonight, a lumpy 10 miler finished 22nd out of 68 riders in 24:54.  Now shagged out!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal