collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1631490 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: The Paul Lambert thread (New Contract Signed Until 2018)
« Reply #6960 on: October 20, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
We didn't play badly until the second went in. The timing and the manner of the goal in retrospect killed the contest.

This is a genuine question as I didn't see the game, but prior to that point had we created many goal scoring opportunities? Because most reports stated Everton were full value for their lead at half time.

Hutton went within a whisker of scoring, on his wrong foot and after a good run as well. Truly a man reborn!

We had quite a bit of joy down their right hand side and put for or five balls in the box which seemed to panic Everton, as they struggled to clear the ball. We had played it quite nicely through midfield up to the edge of their box a number of times, not lumping, but good crisp passing and their fans were having a bit of a whinge about this. The problem was in the front three lacking movement and the final ball not quite being right.

We started the first few minutes of the second half brightly, then conceded a real poor goal on the break.

From the feed I watched I would agree with this. Benteke looked off the pace understandably but Nzogbia and Gabby offered nothing.Nzogbia was moved centrally in the 2nd half (which I think is his best position ) but gave away the ball and they scored.He looks short of confidence and sharpness , a year out and it shows.Perhaps he would be better as an impact sub for now.
Sorry to say the same old things, but N'Zog is about as useful as a chocolate teapot in a team that is struggling for goals and confidence.
Our problems are managerial in nature in that the team lacks intensity and focus.

Our next game is pivotal: lose at QPR and I think the confidence will tank.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6961 on: October 20, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »
I said it elsewhere, but I would bring Grealish in centrally for QPR at the tip of a diamond and play both Benteke and Gabby up front. We need some guile in midfield to link things up.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #6962 on: October 20, 2014, 03:45:43 PM »
Grealish didn't make the bench did he?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6963 on: October 20, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »
I said it elsewhere, but I would bring Grealish in centrally for QPR at the tip of a diamond and play both Benteke and Gabby up front. We need some guile in midfield to link things up.

I agree, Nzogbia was awful on saturday, anonymous going forward despite Hutton and Cleverley playing really behind/near him and giving him loads of options, he just hasn't got the brains to be a consistent threat.  Add to that some piss poor tracking back and a really shoddy bit of play to gift them the opportunity for the 2nd and he was, for me, comfortably the worst player on the pitch and in no way deserves to keep his place.

Offline peter w

« Reply #6964 on: October 20, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
I like the Greealish in the hole idea against QPR. I wouldn't have a diamond though but a flat 3 behind him. Cleverley, Westwood, and Sanchez.  That live us with little width though which is where gabby comes into it by playing as a wide front man.

Offline Ads

« Reply #6965 on: October 20, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »
Most of the width on Saturday came almost exclusively from the full backs anyway, especially first half, so I don't see the point in continuing to play a 4-3-3/4-5-1, as we're not sacrificing delivery from out wide anyway by going to a more narrow shape.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #6966 on: October 20, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »
I would like to see this too, plus Sanchez playing at the back of the four. But as the game is a 'must not lose', think we will see the same old faces go again.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #6967 on: October 20, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
Most of the width on Saturday came almost exclusively from the full backs anyway, especially first half, so I don't see the point in continuing to play a 4-3-3/4-5-1, as we're not sacrificing delivery from out wide anyway by going to a more narrow shape.

I would love to see him playing. My big worry though is that he will get the same sort of treatment he got against Hull. There will be so much pressure on them to get a result that I think they are likely to try to kick him out of the game and we'll have another one out for a couple of months. I know at some point you have to play him but he looks to me as though he has some growing left to do and it might not be the time to throw him in from the start.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #6968 on: October 20, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »
To my eye Jack Grealish has looked under cooked so far, albeit in very difficult games. I think it will be set up not to lose and we will see the usual suspects.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6969 on: October 20, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
I think people just want to see a bit of imagination going forward. I'd give him a go, we've lost four on the trot (again) so we might as well try something different.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #6970 on: October 20, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
Lambert has a vivid imagination. Not necessarily football related.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #6971 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »

I would love to see him playing. My big worry though is that he will get the same sort of treatment he got against Hull. There will be so much pressure on them to get a result that I think they are likely to try to kick him out of the game and we'll have another one out for a couple of months. I know at some point you have to play him but he looks to me as though he has some growing left to do and it might not be the time to throw him in from the start.

Karl Henry would try to kick him off the pitch.

I understand the desire to throw him in but its also a bit much to put all our hopes on a 19-year old. I don't think it will be long before he gets a chance and starts to make himself a fixture in the team. Until then I'm interested in seeing someone like Joe Cole start to earn their salary. I think he's got a part to play at some point.

QPR looked scared to death of quick breaking counter attacks yesterday which should really play into our tactics.

Offline Ads

« Reply #6972 on: October 21, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »
Everton fans were delighted that Berkley started on Saturday because he is a good player, regardless of age. I also don't see how a team can kick him from minute one and not end up with two sent off.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #6973 on: October 21, 2014, 10:19:07 AM »
And we might get free kicks in dangerous positions instead of being deep in our own half most the game

Offline supertom

« Reply #6974 on: October 21, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »
I think Grealish would be unfortunate if any side kicked him around even half as much as Hull managed when he came on against them this season. His reaction to that was perfect. He was totally unfazed by it and kept looking for the ball and inviting the challenges. He'll probably show more nous than half our senior players. Grealish is tougher than he looks. He might look like a gnats fart could blow him over but he won't ever go hiding because the bigger boys are trying to break his legs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal