collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166990 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #510 on: September 12, 2016, 11:02:56 AM »
It was a poor pass, I agree.

But I just watched the highlights on sky. For the equaliser, both McCormack and then Chester put in awful challenges. Nobody mentions it

People do mention Gardner giving the ball away in the opponents half and a supposedly weak challenge from Westwood for the equaliser. The guy played a 1-2 past him. Not really sure what Westwood should have done

Maybe, just maybe, the last four professional football managers have known a bit more about football than the fans who suggest he's shit. I seem to remember some people even sayin Chris herd was better than him. Chris herd!

Agreed, thought it was Gardner's best display of the season yesterday, faint praise I know !!

Out of all the players that could be blamed for the first goal, he would be well down the list

But at least he got on the ball a bit more yesterday and was tidy enough in possession

Unlucky to be taken off I thought

Offline django

« Reply #511 on: September 12, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
It was a poor pass, I agree.

But I just watched the highlights on sky. For the equaliser, both McCormack and then Chester put in awful challenges. Nobody mentions it

People do mention Gardner giving the ball away in the opponents half and a supposedly weak challenge from Westwood for the equaliser. The guy played a 1-2 past him. Not really sure what Westwood should have done

Maybe, just maybe, the last four professional football managers have known a bit more about football than the fans who suggest he's shit. I seem to remember some people even sayin Chris herd was better than him. Chris herd!

Agreed, thought it was Gardner's best display of the season yesterday, faint praise I know !!

Out of all the players that could be blamed for the first goal, he would be well down the list

But at least he got on the ball a bit more yesterday and was tidy enough in possession

Unlucky to be taken off I thought

I watched the second half again last night, it's often interesting watching a game for a second time without the nerves. I thought Gardner was ok actually. Yes he gave the ball away, but in the minutes preceding that Grealish, Ayew and McCormack all gave it away without the same consequence, so they don't get slated for it.

I'd say its his best game for us this season and suggests that he might be an adequate back up at this level once everyones fit.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #512 on: September 12, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »
Gardner actually drove forward through the Forest midfield with a shot that went wide yesterday. If he can do that a bit more as well as not be afraid to tell Ayew that he wants to take the occasional free-kick, I think he could have something more substantial to offer.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #513 on: September 12, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
I thought Gardner was our best player in the first half. He sprayed a couple of passes around the pitch and had a run where he won the ball and drove forward to get a free kick on the edge of their box; things I haven't seen a Villa midfielder do since the industrial revolution. However, he was sloppy in the second half and slipped back into looking nervous and unfit, like he has for the rest of the season so far.

If we have to rely on him to play the majority of matches this season, we'll struggle to ever get a grip on matches. However, for the odd game here and there he'll be fine, and might start progressing. His performance in the first half gives me hope.

I still think, though, that our biggest problem is the system; having a two man midfield (particularly when one of them is Westwood or Gardner) means we're constantly at risk of being overrun. And when we have a one man midfield we're just asking for trouble. Of all the reasons why we didn't win yesterday, Gardner''s performance was a minor one.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #514 on: September 12, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »
I still think he's playing too deep. Instead of those pearlers of 40-yard cross-field passes he plays, I'd rather see him 30 yards further forward and slipping little 10-yarders down the sides in front of the likes of Grealish and Ayew.

And it'd keep him within range of goal himself.

Fingers crossed he comes good consistently.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #515 on: September 12, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
I thought Gardner was our best player in the first half. He sprayed a couple of passes around the pitch and had a run where he won the ball and drove forward to get a free kick on the edge of their box; things I haven't seen a Villa midfielder do since the industrial revolution. However, he was sloppy in the second half and slipped back into looking nervous and unfit, like he has for the rest of the season so far.

If we have to rely on him to play the majority of matches this season, we'll struggle to ever get a grip on matches. However, for the odd game here and there he'll be fine, and might start progressing. His performance in the first half gives me hope.

I still think, though, that our biggest problem is the system; having a two man midfield (particularly when one of them is Westwood or Gardner) means we're constantly at risk of being overrun. And when we have a one man midfield we're just asking for trouble. Of all the reasons why we didn't win yesterday, Gardner''s performance was a minor one.

I think the first line is closer to the performance I saw than most other reports.  He did tire and coming off after around an hour seems to be the right approach for now but I think he's improving every week and it's only really the first game or 2 where he had genuine shockers but some people seem to be unwilling to see that improvement.

Yesterday we drew a game we should've won but it wasn't because of individual players playing poorly and we really need to get away from trying to find the culprit for every game where we don't get the result we want.  I honestly don't think you can accuse anyone of having a bad game, we made a couple of mistakes where we let them have too much time around or box and they punished us both times.  At the other end we created enough chances to win 3 games but just didn't take the extra 2-3 that the performance deserved, I genuinely believe that 5-2 wouldn't have flattered us such was the gulf in performance.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #516 on: September 12, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »

You mirror my thoughts on the game yesterday. We failed to pick up all the points because we failed to get Jedi in the pitch to buttress a creaking MF. Gardner definitely looked pretty good first half.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #517 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
Fucking hell some balance led views on this page!!!!

I agree - he was pretty good first half. Much zippier. Nothing amazing, but decent - and that's a big improvement on what he'd served up so far

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #518 on: September 13, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
I thought Gonch had a decent game on Sunday as well.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #519 on: September 13, 2016, 05:49:07 PM »
Shame Roland was crap for the reserves.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #520 on: September 13, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »
He is on twitter a lot and is very receptive to comments - he comes across as a really decent lad and i hope he has a very good season for us - think there have been a few nerves with him - could do with a nice goal to get him in his stride.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #521 on: September 13, 2016, 06:49:07 PM »
I don't think Westwood and Gardner as a partnership get the best out of each other. One of them needs to start with Jedinak, which would give them a little more freedom.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
He is on twitter a lot and is very receptive to comments - he comes across as a really decent lad and i hope he has a very good season for us - think there have been a few nerves with him - could do with a nice goal to get him in his stride.

i might ask him why he parked in a disabled space at a well known supermarket

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #523 on: September 13, 2016, 08:11:14 PM »

i might ask him why he parked in a disabled space at a well known supermarket
For his boggie brother. He is so mentally I'll he cannot remember who he supports

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #524 on: October 19, 2016, 09:27:41 PM »
Fair play to gards last night and some recognition.  Shout out to him for his passionate celebration and good midfield performance. Really enjoyed him rapporting with fans and he really knows what it meant to win   Bruce acknowledge him and baker and want to do the same.  Give him a few games run and like last season and forest more than capable of holding own at this level .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal