collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166793 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2016, 07:07:19 PM »
The trouble is with Gardner, is that in every game I've seen him play for us, which admittedly I could count on one hand, I've yet to see the ability on the ball that was talked about when he was coming up through the ranks. I've not seen the passing range. Yesterday his passing was awful. He's never been quick and he's never really been quick footed, so he's got to have the ability to spread the play well or find an attacking teammate quickly and incisively. Westwood did that far better yesterday.

For me, he's got till January to prove himself. In fact it may well be the end of the month, depending on who we sign. We've got three games coming up in which he will really need to excel (if/when he plays). Now or never. He can't afford to have games as bad as yesterday.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »
The trouble is with Gardner, is that in every game I've seen him play for us, which admittedly I could count on one hand, I've yet to see the ability on the ball that was talked about when he was coming up through the ranks. I've not seen the passing range. Yesterday his passing was awful. He's never been quick and he's never really been quick footed, so he's got to have the ability to spread the play well or find an attacking teammate quickly and incisively. Westwood did that far better yesterday.

For me, he's got till January to prove himself. In fact it may well be the end of the month, depending on who we sign. We've got three games coming up in which he will really need to excel (if/when he plays). Now or never. He can't afford to have games as bad as yesterday.

I'd say that's probably the most sensible assessment I've read on here of Gardner's prognosis for this season. I'd temper the he needs to excel over the next 3 games though. Signs of progress over the next few games to make an argument for starting or not once the squad is finalised. Regardless of any other signings and we do need at least one more like Tshibola style wise before you start contemplating Grealish or someone else as a "no 10", but Gardner is still going to be in and around the squad until at least January.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #392 on: August 09, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
Early days with GG seemed over eager to impress(foul yellow card) but he's definitely decent enough at championship level.  Imagine being him and finally getting a chance and being injury free. Also imagine all injuries and pressure through out years on him to be a villa hero. Good luck and back him I say. He decent footballer and his passing weren't comimg off Sunday. He tried some pogba range passing but he has capabilities and I trust rdm to give him opportunity.  I also feel he would have at least hit target if ball dropped on edge of area unlike Westwood who quite frankly squandered his 2 efforts at goal. Gardner as we know has a shot on him so hope gets another go Wednesday

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #393 on: August 09, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »
Pointy's first effort was poor but the second was a pretty decent attempt

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #394 on: August 09, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »

The 2nd would been an early contender for goal of the season if he'd got it on target, it was an incredibly difficult chance.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »

As a previous poster mentioned post-Wednesday, Pointy has an unerring ability to stick his efforts just wide of the target. He's a master at it.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »

The 2nd would been an early contender for goal of the season if he'd got it on target, it was an incredibly difficult chance.

It was good technique to get it close. He got his body position slightly too open to hold it on target. If Rooney or some such had got it in, Sky would still be wanking themselves stupid about it now.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »
Maybe he would look better in a 3 or with someone more energetic than Westwood. The fact that he made Westwood look like Kante yesterday worries me.

I had a quick look on a Wednesday forum yesterday and there was a pretty universal view that our midfield were right on top of theirs and gave them no time.

If, having witnessed Championship football for several years, they think Westwood and Gardner close down quickly I suddenly have a lot more confidence about our chances over the rest of this season!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #398 on: August 09, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »
Maybe he would look better in a 3 or with someone more energetic than Westwood. The fact that he made Westwood look like Kante yesterday worries me.

I had a quick look on a Wednesday forum yesterday and there was a pretty universal view that our midfield were right on top of theirs and gave them no time.

If, having witnessed Championship football for several years, they think Westwood and Gardner close down quickly I suddenly have a lot more confidence about our chances over the rest of this season!

I think they're right, We started very cagey and stood off them a bit, which i think was the nerves that come from the record we've had over the last few years but once we realised they didn't hold much threat we started to get in their faces and bossed things for the rest of the game.  If we can play with that intensity but also add some end product we'll blow a few teams away in this league.

Offline Hairbandinho

« Reply #399 on: August 09, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »
I don't want to be negative but...

He can't pass, he can't tackle, he can't shoot, he isn't creative, he is very slow.

So what is he exactly good at? He adds nothing to the midfield. That is the midfield with no creativity, no bite to press and win the ball back.

IMHO not good enough to start in a midfield aiming to be promoted this season.

I know I won't be popular because he is "one of us" but that's how I see it sadly.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #400 on: August 09, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »
BR 89 Gardner has had many chances at Villa Park and has been found wanting, good youth player but not a top class Championship player and not a prem player either.
Mc Cormack has played one game, when he has played as often as Gardner then is the time to have a go.

Yep, it was a woeful argument really.
He's not had many chances at all. A handful of starts under McCleish is all he's had. Put it this way both Stan Petrov and Delph were given time and decent runs in the first team eventually they came good when many people wanted them out, Delph especially had some shocking performances in the early days. People will no doubt disagree but for me Ashley Westwood is now starting to show signs of improvement, Sunday was one of his best performances in ages no coincidence that he's probably now played as many games as Stan and Snake before they started to show their form.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #401 on: August 09, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »

He can't pass, he can't tackle, he can't shoot, he isn't creative, he is very slow.

So what is he exactly good at? He adds nothing to the midfield. That is the midfield with no creativity, no bite to press and win the ball back.

I know I won't be popular because he is "one of us" but that's how I see it sadly.
If it's any consolation to you, for me you have hit the nail firmly on the head

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #402 on: August 09, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »

Until I got to the last line I thought you were talking about Westwood. I don't think we need both this season.

Offline Hairbandinho

« Reply #403 on: August 09, 2016, 01:03:39 PM »
Good point my post also can apply directly to Westwood too. How depressing.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #404 on: August 09, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »
maybe we should sell him to forest for a few million while they think hes good , another 4 mths playing like Sunday we are not going to get anything for him.

with a new midfielder coming in , he has to step up quick.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal