collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166843 times)

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2016, 09:55:22 AM »
Could he be any worse than Westwood?
Not comparable really as different players . Unless we try GG as a DCM .
Isn't that where Forest played him?

no they  play him in the hole on his own

Oh dear that is inviting the Mick McCarthy video again!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2016, 10:20:08 AM »
I think a lot of youth team watchers still think Gardner plays as a box to box midfielder, I think the injuries have knackered him in that regard.

At Forest he's certainly someone who sits deep now so he is comparable to Westwood.

Big thing for me is in all his loan spells he scores a few goals, we have hardly anyone who scores from us from central midfield ever it seems so for that alone Gardner will be a good option next season and should be given starts for sure.

Offline HolmesyVilla

« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2016, 11:13:39 AM »
I think a lot of youth team watchers still think Gardner plays as a box to box midfielder, I think the injuries have knackered him in that regard.

At Forest he's certainly someone who sits deep now so he is comparable to Westwood.

Big thing for me is in all his loan spells he scores a few goals, we have hardly anyone who scores from us from central midfield ever it seems so for that alone Gardner will be a good option next season and should be given starts for sure.

Agree with that he won't be up and down as he would have been injury free. Can't wait to see him back in a Villa shirt and Jack Grealish can do most of Gary's running

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
He could probably play the role I believe they were looking to play Sanchez, sat in front of the back four and with the ball playing defenders we have not got in defense he may be useful there next season.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »
I get the feeling that some people do not want to give Gardner a chance to show whether he is good enough or not.

We should be getting him back for preseason and the start of the season.  If he is not showing anything, we could sell him at the end of the transfer window but at least give him a chance.  We are not that well off that we can afford to pass up a chance on a player that seems to be starting to get a consistent run and getting his confidence back after being out for so long.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #320 on: July 21, 2016, 06:38:49 PM »
Has he made any impact pre season?
I have not heard any positive news about him .....
Fear he will never make it at top Championship level despite the numerous Villa fans seeming to think how good he is .........
Surely all we have seen is an injury prone player who when played did not stand out

Offline Diablo

« Reply #321 on: July 21, 2016, 06:58:15 PM »
Fear he will never make it at top Championship level despite the numerous Villa fans seeming to think how good he is .........
Surely all we have seen is an injury prone player who when played did not stand out

He did well at Forest in this division so I think it's more a case of if he fits in with what RDM wants? But you're right if he's stayin' it's time for him to deliver, fingers crossed he will do. I know I'm rooting for him.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #322 on: July 21, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »

He is vastly more experienced at championship level than Tshibola is.

He needs to be given a chance. If he can't make an impact at this level then yes release him.

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #323 on: July 21, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »
He was decent last night when he came on at Bristol Rovers, though not spectacular. Gueye was probably more effective in what he does, i.e. breaking up the possession of the opposition.

Tish looked good - though an element of that might be my hope he is a real find.

I've seen that Grealish has got some good reviews and no question they couldn't get the ball off him if they were still trying now, though I'm still uncertain there is enough from him in terms of chances created.

Hardly the most telling examination, but Rovers sat back and we could get the ball to the edge of the box at will and then we struggled to create clear-cut chances.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #324 on: July 21, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »
This is THE season for Gary. Make or break. Hopefully, he comes good as there is definitely a player in there somewhere.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #325 on: July 23, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
This is THE season for Gary. Make or break. Hopefully, he comes good as there is definitely a player in there somewhere.
Heard this before

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #326 on: July 23, 2016, 01:18:57 PM »
Heard this before

Yes but successive managers have loaned him out, rather than have him as part of the squad.  Too much negative thinking has got us where we are now.  Successive managers have taken the easy option.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #327 on: July 23, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
But does it not appear that recent managers have all been in agreement that while a fair player he is unlikely to succeed even at the top level of the Championship?

I have never understood why so many rate him so highly from our fans when I have never seen him do anything of note

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »
Heard this before

Yes but successive managers have loaned him out, rather than have him as part of the squad.  Too much negative thinking has got us where we are now.  Successive managers have taken the easy option.

Oh, that's what it is, thanks for clearing that up for me

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »
He seemed to always get injured at the most inconvenient time. This may be the first time (touch wood) that he will have got through to this point in pre season with us relatively unscathed. And it's usually something serious too and by the time he came back he got farmed out. Hopefully he can stay fit and play well for us in a division that we know he has played well in. Both him and Traore need a solid run of games to get their fitness up because it is their overall lack of it that gets them in trouble.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal