collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166780 times)

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »
Would be great to see Gary Gardner doing well at the Villa though as has been said there is a lot of competition for that defensive midfield spot.

He's the new Michael Carrick don't you know.

Since when is Gardner a defensive midfielder?

He's played there a fair amount for Forest, apparently.
Yep. As he's not that quick footed it probably suits him to play slightly deeper. I'd imagine he's not in the enforcer mould, but more a deep lying playmaker. He could be an upgrade on Westwood for us.

Offline Boz

« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2015, 08:20:27 AM »
It will be interesting to see whether a run of games has helped him increase his pace at all. He was desperately slow the last few times I saw him

So was Barry and he had a lot of criticism about his lack of pace at one time at B6, but it isn't just about pace, awareness and a football brain can add as much to a players capability as being able to run quickly.

Online LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
It will be interesting to see whether a run of games has helped him increase his pace at all. He was desperately slow the last few times I saw him

So was Barry and he had a lot of criticism about his lack of pace at one time at B6, but it isn't just about pace, awareness and a football brain can add as much to a players capability as being able to run quickly.

Which reminds me, does anyone know why he didn't take the penalty?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2015, 10:04:07 PM »
How much would better off would Everton been this season had Barry been fit?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
How much would better off would Everton been this season had Barry not been so fat?

Fixed.

*childish sniggering*

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2015, 10:29:58 PM »
I wonder what he will be like under Tim Sherwood ?

Offline supertom

« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »

One thing Barry was excellent at was getting out of tight spots with quick feet. Whether Gardner can develop that skill remains to be seen, but it was always natural to Barry. A very skilful player at close quarters.
Gardner doesn't appear to have that, but if he gains more awareness of space and using the ball quicker he should be fine. A whole season in the Championship, which can be quite frenetic, will undoubtedly help him with that. 

Offline Diablo

« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »
Well Gardner has certainly made an impression at Forest. Great to see him gets some games and some form after his injuries. Just hope he can transfer that form to us on his return. If it doesn't work out I don't think you'd get very good odds on him not returning to Forest. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32415894

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if he can make enough of an impression on Sherwood that he can sneak his way into the final squad

If we can beat Everton and look safe, i'd definitely throw him in against Southampton and Burnley whilst he's in form

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2015, 05:37:42 PM »
If we can beat Everton and look safe, i'd definitely throw him in against Southampton and Burnley whilst he's in form
It's probably not worth the fine and points deduction that we would get for selecting a player that we can't use.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2015, 06:22:32 PM »
Can we definitely not though? Is he of an age that he'd need to be declared in the 25? Does the loan finish once Forest season ends?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »
Can we definitely not though? Is he of an age that he'd need to be declared in the 25? Does the loan finish once Forest season ends?

Yes he'd need to be declared in the 25 he was 22 at the start of the season, the loan technically finishes on June 1st but both clubs can agree to an early termination (which often happens) but that's irrelevant.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »

Yes he'd need to be declared in the 25 he was 22 at the start of the season, the loan technically finishes on June 1st but both clubs can agree to an early termination (which often happens) but that's irrelevant.
Even then, we still wouldn't be able to play him.

53.2.3 A Player whose Standard Loan expires (or terminates) on completion of his Loaning Club’s League Matches will not be eligible to play for his Parent Club (where it is a Member Club) in any remaining League or Cup Matches in that Season notwithstanding the fact that he is a Registered Player of that Club and that such expiry or termination occurs during a Transfer Window.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »

Even then, we still wouldn't be able to play him.

53.2.3 A Player whose Standard Loan expires (or terminates) on completion of his Loaning Club’s League Matches will not be eligible to play for his Parent Club (where it is a Member Club) in any remaining League or Cup Matches in that Season notwithstanding the fact that he is a Registered Player of that Club and that such expiry or termination occurs during a Transfer Window.

Shame he can't join up with us for the last few games. But it appears that he has picked up a knock in training http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/04/25/nottingham-forest-midfielder-gary-gardner-reveals-he-is-out-of-i/

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2015, 11:32:35 PM »
I hope he's able to travel with the squad and enjoy the occasion on the cup final day. Same goes with the likes of Robinson, Bennett etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal