collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166790 times)

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »
I hold out a vague hope we'll give him another 12 months to see what he can do but not looking likely at the moment. Absolutely rotten luck with injuries not just in severity but timing too.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
Sylla, KEA and Westwood were all bought and therefore backed by Lambert so they get away with a lot of dross performances because it reflects bad on the manager if he drops them/realises they're not up to it. Consequently, Gary Gardner, already devoid of match sharpness due to minor injuries after two major ones, has an uphill struggle to get any game time. He desperately needs a loan move to get him back playing. Hopefully, if it went well, Lambert would then give him a fair crack before the end of the season. Looking more unlikely with each passing week though.

He'd have played plenty of games last season if he hadn't done his cruciate, think he'd have fitted in well as he can at least get into the box from midfield which is a major problem with our current midfielders.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
Unless the club can see from training that he is struggling to make it i'd like us to give him another 12 months as I doubt he's clogging up much of the wage bill. However as he approaches his 22nd birthday he really does need to be playing. Real shame for the kid to lose best part of two years to those injuries, especially at a key time to development.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 09:49:40 PM »
I think the key thing is that we do not let him go.   The fact that Lambert has not given him much game time makes no nevermind.  I do not rate Lambert as a judge of a player.   That is not Lambert knocking, I just don't think it is his strong suit.   He is too inflexible.   MON was the same.   He has a fixed concept of what makes a good player and a prospect either falls into it or out of it but the real world is not like that.   The whole history of football is littered with successes who were regarded as no hopers and failures who were going to be world beaters.   Johnny Haynes was too slow, Jimmy Greaves was a piss head, Johnny Giles was too one footed, Andy Gray was too short and so on and so forth.   The only factor which really matters is what the player does on the pitch in a game.   If GG can do it he will do it.   If he can't do it his career is over effectively.   I think it will be the former.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
I would give him 2 years, get him out on loan now until the end of the season, and then again next season. The worst thing will be watching him being bought for 5-6 million in 2 years time after impressing in the Championship for someone. New deal, get him senior games. Have patience.,

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 12:02:27 AM »
Give him an extension and twelve months to prove himself

I've never really seen that much in him but if there's any faith he might be the player the hype suggested it has to be worth giving him twelve months to get over his injuries

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 01:30:55 PM »
Gardner turning out for the Under 21s tonight:

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3651917,00.html?

Offline eastie

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »
@MatKendrick: Gardner's question time: Gary Gardner must wait to find out if he will be offered a new #avfc contract this summer http://t.co/SgZdQP6sxb?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
He played a few times the McLeish season, along with Carruthers who also seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Can't really remember how he looked in the first team, anybody got any recollection?

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
Well, he certainly didn't produce anything in line with the acclaim some hold him. People have posted he's the next Gerrard and will captain England, based on what I do not know. File under Stefan Moore.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »
I haven't seen him play much as I don't watch the under 21's, but the only thing he has ever done in the first XI is miss a sitter at Wolves.

Offline eastie

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
He played a few times the McLeish season, along with Carruthers who also seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Can't really remember how he looked in the first team, anybody got any recollection?

I must admit I was impressed by Carruthers willingness and confidence to take people on against Liverpool when he came on as sub - can't really recall Gardner doing anything special in his games.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »

Carruthers is on loan at MK Dons and doing pretty well last time I heard. 

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »

Carruthers is on loan at MK Dons and doing pretty well last time I heard. 

I didn't mean it to sound like he had disappeared, rather, I was referring to 'wayside' in terms of our first team squad. They were both rising stars that gave us some hope that awful season and neither seems to have come close to competing in Lambert's squad two years on (Gardner's injury notwithstanding).

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
I haven't seen him play much as I don't watch the under 21's, but the only thing he has ever done in the first XI is miss a sitter at Wolves.

Pretty harsh. Wasn't it his shot that Schwarzer failed to hold, allowing Weimann to get a last minute winner against Fulham in McLeish's season? The last win we got which effectively kept us up.
I also remember him coming on at Newcastle when we lost 2-1 (Robbie Keane for us) when he galvanised the midfield and was unlucky not to score an equaliser.

The boy has got a lot going for him. I can't remember us having a player picked for England U-21's when he's not even playing for his club/on loan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal