collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we a boring outfit?  (Read 36718 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Are we a boring outfit?
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
I wouldn't have been angered into posting that if your first contribution to the thread hadn't been to describe my opinion as nonsense and akin to propaganda.

I am more interested in why you think we're dull than continuing the he started it gig.

Offline supertom

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
I think its clear that there is no real agreement on what is boring and what is not. I think it is completely seperate from the quality of football, for example, Wigan were a pretty exciting side, but utterly hopeless.

I am not saying we are a quality outfit in the context of Villa sides of years gone by, but I think that is seperate from excitement. Excitement isn't the reserve of the elite.

Offline eastie

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »
I think its clear that there is no real agreement on what is boring and what is not. I think it is completely seperate from the quality of football, for example, Wigan were a pretty exciting side, but utterly hopeless.

I am not saying we are a quality outfit in the context of Villa sides of years gone by, but I think that is seperate from excitement. Excitement isn't the reserve of the elite.

Boring was the Mcleish era of sending a team out not to get beaten rather than sending a team out to win .

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
I wouldn't have been angered into posting that if your first contribution to the thread hadn't been to describe my opinion as nonsense and akin to propaganda.

I am more interested in why you think we're dull than continuing the he started it gig.

Well I apologise for calling your opinions nonsense.
As for the dull stuff, our home form in my opinion is just unacceptable. It's not just the results that disappoint it's the surrendering of so much possession that I find so frustrating. I can't remember a Villa team see so little of the ball, and I find that dull and boring. I'm not the only one either.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 06:27:11 PM »
More often that not I find us exciting to watch at away games.

More often than not I find us boring to watch at home games.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
These last couple of years will not be looked on as a golden era in 15/20 years, I'd have thought.  Unless we truly hit the skids and plummet through the divisions. 

Dull would be an apt as description as any, we're one of a number of teams happy just to stay in the top flight now. Something the likes of Coventry and Southampton did year in and year out. Neutrals weren't too enamoured with them either.

If you think that's harsh, you might want to explain our team selection in the cup game at home to Tottenham - the one domestic trophy we might have had a half decent chance of actually winning.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
More often that not I find us exciting to watch at away games.

More often than not I find us boring to watch at home games.

I think that has been the case right back through the MON years, even when we were doing well.

Offline eastie

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »

Well I apologise for calling your opinions nonsense.
As for the dull stuff, our home form in my opinion is just unacceptable. It's not just the results that disappoint it's the surrendering of so much possession that I find so frustrating. I can't remember a Villa team see so little of the ball, and I find that dull and boring. I'm not the only one either.

I see you both as extreme opposites to be honest where the answer lies somewhere in the middle - ads in my opinion is over optimistic and sh over pessimistic at time but no doubt  we all want the same thing .

We are neither exciting or boring overall - but can be both in patches - sometimes in the same game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:31:30 PM by eastie »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »
I wouldn't say we're boring, just dreary.

Indeed. If I was a neutral football fan I wouldn't watch us on a live TV game. Life's too short for other people's problems. The few minutes on MOTD would be more than enough, especially as we can score some spectacular goals. The problem is the other 89 minutes of nothingness. Entertaining is not a word closely associated with Aston Villa.

Saying that, I am a Villa fan and enjoy our victories in the same way I did under MON, if not more so. The difference is I still hold onto the belief that Lambert is capable of turning us into a good, entertaining side, something I never felt with MON or TSM. There's a lot of work still to be done but at least there are glimpses of it. As I've mentioned several times, Lambert, like his young and hungry new recruits, is still learning the game so I'm prepared to give him some time to get it right. I'd just be a lot more happy if he was getting the basics right.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
Good thread, nothing I have read has convinced me we are not in the boring, or dull, or dreary descriptor (semantics I fear!)

So I'm still with Supertom in sharing his views and am shocked, quite honestly, that so many people think otherwise. A salutory lesson for your's truly!

I still feel the outside football world sees us as dull and, largely, irrelevant. As I said earlier, I'd love to think I didn't care what they think, but sadly I do...

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »
I wouldn't say we're boring, just dreary.

Indeed. If I was a neutral football fan I wouldn't watch us on a live TV game.

I know what you're getting at, but that's surely a bit too sweeping?

If i had been a neutral, this season I'd have enjoyed watching us in the Arsenal and Chelsea games, and for half of the Man City game.

So, basically a quarter of our matches.

Meh, I dunno, maybe you've got a point.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »
Yes, know what you mean. I will be in the pub in Chichester on Monday to see us against you know who and I guarantee I'll be one of about three people watching it. I watched the two Bradford games last season in different pubs in London and Chichester, and on both occasions, I was the only single person looking at the television. As I said, others don't go out of their way for one minute to watch us and that has to be some sort of barometer for me

Offline eastie

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
There are few teams I'd go out of my way to watch to be honest - mrs east often asks me if I want the downstairs remote at weekends to watch games on tv and probably I'd watch arsenal but try to avoid most of the others unless it was a big game - sometimes I have it on but pay little attention .

If a neutral i would guess villa would be seen as like Norwich, Fulham, west ham etc. and not a particularly exciting watch.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
Yes, know what you mean. I will be in the pub in Chichester on Monday to see us against you know who and I guarantee I'll be one of about three people watching it. I watched the two Bradford games last season in different pubs in London and Chichester, and on both occasions, I was the only single person looking at the television. As I said, others don't go out of their way for one minute to watch us and that has to be some sort of barometer for me

Most people would argue Everton are a much better side than us at the moment, certainly more consistent, but now many people go out of their way to watch them?

Neutrals, I mean.

Probably about the same number. I know what you're getting at, but I think the interest amongst neutrals for clubs who aren't at the very top of the table is minimal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal