collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279969 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #1275 on: January 31, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
I think Hutton was one of better and more consistent players last season. Not saying much I know but given the squad we have/had, he's done himself and us proud. I just want him to score before he leaves.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1276 on: January 31, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »
I think Hutton was one of better and more consistent players last season. Not saying much I know but given the squad we have/had, he's done himself and us proud. I just want him to score before he leaves.

He has got one to his name but yes, another one before the end of the season would be nice.

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #1277 on: January 31, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
Against SHA would be particularly pleasing. The holte would erupt

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1278 on: January 31, 2018, 01:44:53 PM »

He has got one to his name but yes, another one before the end of the season would be nice.

It won't be nice it will be mental. That daisy cutter last night was probably our best effort of the game before Snodgrass stole the headlines.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1279 on: January 31, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
I'm not sure on the 'never let us down' bit.  He's done well in the last 12 months but even this time last year he was looking poor and we wanted to see him replaced, most people were very happy with RDL and Bree arriving so he could be shifted on and it's only really since he moved to left back that he put in consistently decent performances.

Good attitude, seems like a decent bloke but he's 33 and has only really given us 1 decent season out of 7 with the club, letting him go is the right decision.
1 out of 7 is unfair.  He's been one of our better players in a good few seasons, albeit I accept that bar has been incredibly low at times.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #1280 on: January 31, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »
Surely the thing to do would have been to tell everybody that all decisions are on hold pending whether promotion is achieved or not?  I agree that we probably need better, but as a useful squad member who can cover both full back positions I'd probably have given him a year's extension.  He's seen off a fair number of right and left backs in the last couple of years, including De Laet, Bree and Taylor.

That would have been my take too. Decisions on ice until May.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1281 on: January 31, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
I'm not sure on the 'never let us down' bit.  He's done well in the last 12 months but even this time last year he was looking poor and we wanted to see him replaced, most people were very happy with RDL and Bree arriving so he could be shifted on and it's only really since he moved to left back that he put in consistently decent performances.

Good attitude, seems like a decent bloke but he's 33 and has only really given us 1 decent season out of 7 with the club, letting him go is the right decision.
1 out of 7 is unfair.  He's been one of our better players in a good few seasons, albeit I accept that bar has been incredibly low at times.

Which seasons?  He was mostly terrible under McLeish, skipped 2 seasons completely under Lambert and then got recalled and was poor.  In our relegation season he got away with being poor because he was marginally less shit than Richards and Lescott and then last season it was only really around the January that he started playing ok.  He's had a good season this year and finished last season pretty well but before that we'd had 5 1/2 years of him trying to cripple people, getting caught out up field after giving the ball away in a decent crossing position and him being loaned out because we really wanted him to leave.  We shouldn't let the last 12 months mask any of that and give him a 3rd contract.  He gets respect from me because he's worked his tits off and his attitude has been superb since we got relegated and he deserves thanks for his part in this season (if we do get promoted) but a new deal would be a poor decision.  33/34 year olds should only have their contracts renewed if they're indispensable to the team and I don't think that's the case with him, he's not the best right back in the squad and he's definitely not a premier league standard left back.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1282 on: January 31, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »
agreed - like many on here Hutton is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine  but he really doesn't deserve a contract extension.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1283 on: January 31, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
I think his performances have earned an extra year. Hope he gets a good pay day wherever he turns up and good luck to him.

Unless he ends up at Sevco or Small Heath.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1284 on: January 31, 2018, 06:50:52 PM »
One of the few who could hold his head up at the end of the relegation season. Always gives his all. I don't understand why this news broken now, what was the point.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1285 on: January 31, 2018, 07:23:38 PM »

If we go up he's 100% not good enough.
If we stay down his wages are too big a drain on the club.

I know he's been pretty decent at left back in recent times, but he's been at the club for 7 years (i think) and whatever way you look at it he's been woefully shit for almost the entire time whilst earning god knows how much for it.

Thanks for the efforts Alan, but it's time to move on.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1286 on: January 31, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »
Quite surprised by this.

Thought he might've gone last season but even for someone who's criticised him a bit and couldn't understand the adulation from the Holte End he's been fantastic since he moved to left back.

Solid defending and no more awful crosses.

What it does indicate is a more ruthless approach to squad recruitment and retention if we get promoted e.g. not just giving players contracts for the sake of it.

It was a bit bit bizarre Hutton actually got a new three year deal when he came back and played a few games after being so long in exile.

I wouldn't worry about the motiviation issue. I imagine he loves the support he gets from the crowd particularly in home games so imagine he'll be doing his best to get us up as a send off.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1287 on: January 31, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »

If we go up he's 100% not good enough.
If we stay down his wages are too big a drain on the club.

I know he's been pretty decent at left back in recent times, but he's been at the club for 7 years (i think) and whatever way you look at it he's been woefully shit for almost the entire time whilst earning god knows how much for it.

Thanks for the efforts Alan, but it's time to move on.

Agree with all of this but the timing seems strange. I can only think the club were maybe hoping someone would take advantage today with a cheeky £500k bid or something?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1288 on: January 31, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »
Dunno. would have been useful as cover in the premier. if we don't go up less so. As others have said, seems the timing of this announcement is a bit off to me. There's quite a few players who hopefully will not be getting their contract renewed so why single him out when he's at least contributing?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1289 on: January 31, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »
Pulis loves him, bet he ends up at Boro.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal