collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by TopDeck113
[Today at 04:41:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:41:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by TopDeck113
[Today at 04:41:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 04:40:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ducksworthy
[Today at 04:40:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by bilsim
[Today at 04:40:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 04:38:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:38:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279821 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #1305 on: February 01, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
If we go up I'd like to see us try to get Sessegnon from Fulham as the replacement at left back.  He looks a fantastic prospect but wouldn't be cheap.

Sessegnon will be heading for a top 6 side or one of the big sides in Europe, he isn't going to be joining Villa.

I guess it depends, he's only 17 still so he could easily get in a couple of years at a club like Villa (if we're promoted) and prove that he can do it at that level rather than signing for a man city and struggling to make the team for 2-3 years.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1306 on: February 01, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »
Hutton is a personal favourite of mine. Love his attitude and work ethic and I think in the end he's proved good value. He was treated ridiculously by Lambert and Lerner in their infinite wisdom (before they came back with their tails between their legs). Hutton just got on with it. He's been one of our most consistent performers since. What he may lack in skill sometimes, he makes up for in determination. Yes, like everyone, the sight of him bombing down the line to a point is majestic, up until that moment he shanks a cross into row Z, but it's not his fault that for several years, under an array of feck brained managers, somehow it was deemed that Hutton was our main creative outlet. Everything for a period under several managers seemed to involve giving it to Hutton on the right and hoping he would create something because we'd play without width, or we'd be sorely lacking in decent wide men. He might be the Scottish Cafu but he's not THE Cafu. But he kept on plugging away.

I for one would like to see him given another extension but at Huttons age, he's probably still got a good 2-3 year Championship contract in him and could play week in week out. Whilst he's one of my favourite current players, IF we go up I don't think it's in our interest to offer him more than a single year and he'll have no playing assurances. If that's not enough security, I fully get that. He has given us a lot too, so if we're deciding against even offering him a deal that would disappoint me. If there was a brief discussion and he told the board he'd only consider a two month, that's different. At the end of the day, he's 34 in September. Is he going to feature much when we're in the Premiership? I love the guy but we need better and we'll need to dip into the window for a new right back.

By the same token, if we don't go up it's a catch 22. He'd be more than useful but we'll be desperate to balance the books. Either he'd have to accept a significantly reduced wage, or look to a club with more wages to offer him at 2nd tier level.

I'd love him to stay a bit longer, but on his age, current wages and the reality of our financial situation, it's probably for the best he goes. I'll be a little sad when the squad doesn't show his name next season though, I must admit.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1307 on: February 01, 2018, 05:04:41 PM »
If we don't go up surely Bree needs to step up and perform to replace Hutton.

at left back ?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1308 on: February 01, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
What’s happened to Ron Manager who started this thread anyone knows?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1309 on: February 02, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
He tries hard and has found his level in the Championship. In the top division he was reckless, both in his tackling and positioning. So many times our opponents would get in behind us because he'd charged on leaving us exposed. We need to progress, he's not the sort of player to give us that.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1310 on: February 02, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
Won't be heartbroken to see him depart at the end of the season (though he does seem to have found a new lease of life at leftback).

But the club could have played it a bit smarter and said those sort of deals for the older lot will be looked at when we know what division we are operating in next year.

Give him something to aim for, even if the decision has been made.  He's a reliable enough old pro, so I don't think he will throw a strop or start phoning it in between now and the end of the season.  But that's always the chance you take when you announce something like this.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1311 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:18 PM »
I can't think of many luckier footballers than Alan Hutton - that contract extension after a a three game purple patch after years in the wilderness was the stuff of legend.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1312 on: February 02, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
I think he’s shit tbh but a whole hearted guy who you’ll always get 100% from. Fine for now but if we go up I’d rather try and get someone a lot better.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1313 on: February 02, 2018, 05:25:19 PM »
Steve Bruce has confirmed Aston Villa are NOT in a position to offer Alan Hutton a new contract due to their ongoing battle with Financial Fair Play.

Hutton, 33, has been in excellent form for Villa this season and Bruce has selected him from the start in 16 of the last 18 Championship fixtures.

The Scottish defender is out of contract at the end of the season and recently approached the manager to discuss the possibility of a renewal only to be told an extension was off the table.

Despite Hutton’s disappointment, Bruce insists it’s ‘not the end of the world’ for the defender and expects plenty of suitors. The Villa manager also refused to rule out a u-turn - but that depends on what division Villa are in come the end of the campaign.

“I think I said to Alan, I had to be honest with him to say, ‘Look, at this position where we are we’re not in a position to offer anybody a new contract’,” Bruce told Birmingham Mail columnist Tom Ross.

“The way the situation with the club is in finances and Financial Fair Play and I think we all need to know where we are, whether we’re in the Championship or we’re in the Premier League - if we’re in the Championship we’ll have to cut, it’s as straightforward as that.

“I’ve spoken to the people above me and we’re not in a position to offer anybody a new contract just yet. Alan Hutton has been in a situation where I’ve been here for 15 months and he’s done terrifically well. But we’ll have to look after the club and sometimes my job is to look after the club too.

“Let’s see where we are and see what happens. It’s not the end of the world for Alan Hutton because I’ve no doubt there will be takers from what we’re seeing at the moment. For a 33-year-old, it’s quite remarkable his fitness levels and what he trains like every day.

“He knows what I think of him but at this situation in time we’re not in a position to go forward with any of them.”

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1314 on: February 02, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »
And that, my friends is the stark reality of this season.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1315 on: February 02, 2018, 06:26:38 PM »
Correct Lee and why we absolutely must get promoted. And it’s entirely possible if promotion is secured say in April or early May they could offer him a new deal at that point. If he hasn’t signed a pre-contract with someone else. I like him and he’d be good cover in the PL but he’s not a starter at that level.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1316 on: February 02, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
So Gabby doesn't get one then ?

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1317 on: February 02, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
I'm sure I saw somewhere that of the top 7 players in the championship wages wise villa have 5 of them.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1318 on: February 02, 2018, 08:28:03 PM »
I'm sure I saw somewhere that of the top 7 players in the championship wages wise villa have 5 of them.
. Now

Well as i said in another thread, the season we went down we spent 110m on wages, so basically 66k a week on 32 players. Now  if that's the average they were on and others were on less, then what were the top earners on???!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1319 on: February 02, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »
And that, my friends is the stark reality of this season.

It is, but it is also a bit different to earlier reports suggesting he was getting released when his contract expired.  That makes it sounds like a decision is yet to be made.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:23:55 AM by tomd2103 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal