collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 280082 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Alan Hutton - new three year contract signed
« Reply #780 on: December 10, 2014, 11:00:31 PM »
Mics on referees in rugby work well because your average rugby crowd know the rules of the game very well, in a football crowd I doubt they'd work as well, just my opinion.

That does help I agree but in rugby it's largely a requirement because some of the more common penalty offenses are very technical (not releasing the player/ball after a tackle or unlawful entry to a ruck/maul are the 2 most common penalties by far, if you don't know what that means then you're going to be lost) but how many times in football is something a technical offence?  Offsides are common but don't result in bookings and even if people don't know the rules in depth knowing that if the guy puts his flag up and the ref blows then it's offside doesn't take much explanation. I just can't think of a technical offence that leads to a booking other than time wasting, which is pretty self explanatory.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #781 on: December 11, 2014, 06:56:19 AM »
Does anyone know what Konchesky's red card was  for? The foul? The confrontation  afterwards? Or a combination  of the two? For me the tackle was late and merited a yellow.

An FA spokesman said it was for violent conduct
Physically? Verbally?

In my live view of the incident I honestly thought that Konchesky had pushed his hand into Hutton's face - a la Benteke - and said to my mate "He's raised his hand to Hutton's face - he's gotta go."
As QB points out that isn't what happened at all. It was Hutton who did the pushing. So who made the call? The Ref? The 4th Official?
Why all the mystery surrounding such things.
Clear and simple announcements/explanations about decisions would help players, fans, refs.

mics on refs works perfectly in rugby and stops a lot of the 'angst' in the crowd for the controversial ones, I'd bring it in in football as well.  The argument is that football players would be incapable of not swearing at the ref and that would get picked up and broadcast but surely the respect campaign would back something that reduces the number of players who do that.  Aside from that, bring it in in Feb/March but just have it monitored without the open broadcast and, as above hand out fines etc before a full launch in the new season.  If it also reduced the number of instances where 4-5 players surround the ref then that's just a fringe benefit.

On this specific case I'd assumed it was because the ref (who was pretty close) had heard what he said, but I'm not sure now it's been overturned.  As for getting away with it, we play them in january if he gets a 4th yellow of the season the game before then I'd be a bit pissed off.  As for it balancing out because they had 10men for the last 10-15mins they should've been reduced to 10 a lot earlier, the more I see the tackle on Westwood the harder I find it to see how he only got a yellow, there's was no chance he could get the ball and every chance he'd hurt Westwood in the attempt.

QB I still think you're completely wrong about him feigning injury, there's nothing in it to suggest he's done anything like that, to me he was just in no rush to get up until he got called something at which point he reacted and jumped up.  If he'd been imploring at the ref or waving an imaginary card or rolling around like he'd been shot then I'd be with you but you can't assume that someone staying down for a few extra seconds it was 80minutes into the game, he probably just saw a chance for a rest for a few seconds.

Paul, I watched the incident again yesterday and haven't changed my mind. Not every player feigning injury/play acting goes into the full on roll and waves the imaginary card. Even so, you can only call it how you saw it personally and it has created a few pages of debate.

Offline enigma

« Reply #782 on: December 11, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »
Does anyone know what Konchesky's red card was  for? The foul? The confrontation  afterwards? Or a combination  of the two? For me the tackle was late and merited a yellow.

Physically? Verbally?

In my live view of the incident I honestly thought that Konchesky had pushed his hand into Hutton's face - a la Benteke - and said to my mate "He's raised his hand to Hutton's face - he's gotta go."
As QB points out that isn't what happened at all. It was Hutton who did the pushing. So who made the call? The Ref? The 4th Official?
Clear and simple announcements/explanations about decisions would help players, fans, refs.

mics on refs works perfectly in rugby and stops a lot of the 'angst' in the crowd for the controversial ones, I'd bring it in in football as well.  The argument is that football players would be incapable of not swearing at the ref and that would get picked up and broadcast but surely the respect campaign would back something that reduces the number of players who do that.  Aside from that, bring it in in Feb/March but just have it monitored without the open broadcast and, as above hand out fines etc before a full launch in the new season.  If it also reduced the number of instances where 4-5 players surround the ref then that's just a fringe benefit.
They've already trialled mic's on ref's and it didn't work for exactly the reason stated. The players foul mouthed rants at refs were being broadcast. To be honest, I think it's only a matter of time before they try again though.

Offline supertom

« Reply #783 on: December 11, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »

Physically? Verbally?

They've already trialled mic's on ref's and it didn't work for exactly the reason stated. The players foul mouthed rants at refs were being broadcast. To be honest, I think it's only a matter of time before they try again though.
Didn't they implement a rule that swearing at the ref would be an automatic yellow card a few years back? It never seems to be enforced really but the mics might work if it were to be.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #784 on: December 11, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »

Physically? Verbally?

That was a good few years back now. David Elleray was reffing an Arsenal game. I recall Tony Adams calling him a cheat and getting a proper Headmaster style telling off.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #785 on: December 11, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »
That was amusing as the Arsenal players didn't know he was wearing a mic.

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #786 on: December 11, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
How things have changed....officials drinking tea from a china cup and saucer.

Offline Michaelol

Alan Hutton new three year contract signed
« Reply #787 on: December 11, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
can you put a section so we can post Playboy Club memorabilia photos?

There are a lot of great things out there.

David

Offline paul_e

« Reply #788 on: December 11, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
Didn't they implement a rule that swearing at the ref would be an automatic yellow card a few years back? It never seems to be enforced really but the mics might work if it were to be.

Exactly, that why, as I said, give it a few months of "this is happening and we will retrospectively punish clubs if their players are caught swearing on it, and we will encourage referees to warn and book players who infringe on this" and once players and clubs realise that behaviour is no longer tolerated you can move towards opening the channel.  Anything that leads to people (everyone) having more respect for referees should be encouraged and to me this is a fairly cheap and simple step on that path.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #789 on: December 11, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »
can you put a section so we can post Playboy Club memorabilia photos?

There are a lot of great things out there.

David

Can I please second this? Perhaps we can add a poll?

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #790 on: December 11, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »
That was amusing as the Arsenal players didn't know he was wearing a mic.

George Graham. What a spineless ******!!!

Offline supertom

« Reply #791 on: December 11, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »

Exactly, that why, as I said, give it a few months of "this is happening and we will retrospectively punish clubs if their players are caught swearing on it, and we will encourage referees to warn and book players who infringe on this" and once players and clubs realise that behaviour is no longer tolerated you can move towards opening the channel.  Anything that leads to people (everyone) having more respect for referees should be encouraged and to me this is a fairly cheap and simple step on that path.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #792 on: December 11, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »

This is how it works in rugby.  Nigel Owens is a great ref and a great character.

Ignore the first two scenes they are not relevant.  But watch the rest, this is how to handle players.  I'd urge any football fan or footballer to watch it.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:32:08 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline paul_e

« Reply #793 on: December 11, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »

This is how it works in rugby.  Nigel Owens is a great ref and a great character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDh1xtqaWA

My favourite from, openly gay, Nigel Owens:

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #794 on: December 11, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
Mics on referees in rugby work well because your average rugby crowd know the rules of the game very well, in a football crowd I doubt they'd work as well, just my opinion.

my experience of rugby and the average rugby crowd would be the complete opposite  ;D

The recentish influx of upwardly mobile types watching rugby in Ireland anyway use these mics for the precise reason that they dont know the rules. The rules of rugby tend to be implemented in a lot more subjective manner than football too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal